Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #57
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since the Bird control box is controlling the relay and the wires appear correct the loose purple wire likely goes on the chassis battery post.

If you want a simple test, just put the purple wire on the right post, turn the key to the run position, then toggle the aux start switch. You should be able to hear the clunk of the solenoid,. However, howling alarms often make it impossible so you may need a helper.

To gather some more facts this is what I would like you to try. Unplug from shoreline and give it a couple of minutes. Then take measurements on the two large posts and the brown wire on the solenoid.

Then turn the ignition key to the on position. Starting the rv would be fine. Measure the voltage on the IGN post of the Bird control box.
IF, the voltage is 0, then prop the aux start button and measure again.
IF, the voltage is still 0, then place the loose wire onto the chassis post and measure again.

The goal is to see if they are taking voltage from the loose purple wire (if connected to the chassis post), and somehow running it forward to the driver are and through some path and back to the (ign) post of the control board.

NOT all rvs have full bi directional setups. Yours may not nor ever been set up to charge the coach batteries via the alternator. IF that is the case the current issue is to find out why the aux start function is not working. Could be as simple as the loose wire.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #58

American Coach Owners Club
White Rogers Solenoid 200

3 options for the infamous wire.
1 connect to the post on the left which is B + all the time or the right which should be B + when the Solenoid is activated - you have a 50-50 shot here - either way your not going to hurt anything.
Option 3 leave it disconnected until you get the exact wiring diagram !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #59

With greatttttt success

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Since the Bird control box is controlling the relay and the wires appear correct the loose purple wire likely goes on the chassis battery post.

If you want a simple test, just put the purple wire on the right post, turn the key to the run position, then toggle the aux start switch. You should be able to hear the clunk of the solenoid,. However, howling alarms often make it impossible so you may need a helper.

To gather some more facts this is what I would like you to try. Unplug from shoreline and give it a couple of minutes. Then take measurements on the two large posts and the brown wire on the solenoid.

Then turn the ignition key to the on position. Starting the rv would be fine. Measure the voltage on the IGN post of the Bird control box.
IF, the voltage is 0, then prop the aux start button and measure again.
IF, the voltage is still 0, then place the loose wire onto the chassis post and measure again.

The goal is to see if they are taking voltage from the loose purple wire (if connected to the chassis post), and somehow running it forward to the driver are and through some path and back to the (ign) post of the control board.

NOT all rvs have full bi directional setups. Yours may not nor ever been set up to charge the coach batteries via the alternator. IF that is the case the current issue is to find out why the aux start function is not working. Could be as simple as the loose wire.

This is such a good day
Unplugged from shore power 2 big posts 12.6 v, brown small back post 0,
ign 0, loose wire put on chassis post wife pushed aux switch and I heard a clunk, so had her do it again and it went clunk halalua, started engine 2 big posts 13.6 brown small post on back 13.4 Now we are going to see eagles in Mo. after Christmas.
Thant you CYI and everyone that chimed in to try and help, thank you thank you. Don and Barb
Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
3 options for the infamous wire.
1 connect to the post on the left which is B + all the time or the right which should be B + when the Solenoid is activated - you have a 50-50 shot here - either way your not going to hurt anything.
Option 3 leave it disconnected until you get the exact wiring diagram !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chuck I am glad to say I put loose wire on chassis post and wife pushed aux and solenoid went clunk, I was to afraid to try it . Thank you for taking time to help. Don and Barb
Old 12-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #61
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nice, I love it when a plan works. Now you know more than most folks about the BIRD system.

Another lesson you learned. Take a picture of anything like this before taking it apart. Heck, I print them out with notes scribbled on the pictures and put them in a clear plastic sheet protector.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #62

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Nice, I love it when a plan works. Now you know more than most folks about the BIRD system.

Another lesson you learned. Take a picture of anything like this before taking it apart. Heck, I print them out with notes scribbled on the pictures and put them in a clear plastic sheet protector.
Glad it all worked out !
I also take pictures as the old memory brain card doesn't always retain the mental pictures anymore.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdown View Post
Chuck I am glad to say I put loose wire on chassis post and wife pushed aux and solenoid went clunk, I was to afraid to try it . Thank you for taking time to help. Don and Barb
"I have studied the wire coming out of the loom and it appears more blue than black when I enlarge the pic 10 times. It could be going back to a remote switch. Wish I could be of more help."

Glad all the folks were able to work out the solution. I had a feeling it was a connection to a switch.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #64

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
"I have studied the wire coming out of the loom and it appears more blue than black when I enlarge the pic 10 times. It could be going back to a remote switch. Wish I could be of more help."

Glad all the folks were able to work out the solution. I had a feeling it was a connection to a switch.
After I got more light I could see it was not black but I could not find anything that was not working, and I had put this wire on chassis post and did not tighten it and it did not work, in the end I did put it on post and tighten it and it did work, I just hope that is all I find wrong coach is getting older. Thanks to all Don and Barb

Tags
solenoid