Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #15

I have an engraved plaque on the door from my garage to the house that has that saying on it. I'm not quite to the point that I don't have enough time to play with all my toys.

I was given another plaque that says: "The difference between men and boy is the price of their toys".

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dunner, I know how it is. Love to do things, 9 spray guns, two5HP compresses, two welders stick & MIG. pressure sandblaster. loads of air tools and tools in general. Now guess what I do for a living? I build high end 1800th century furniture, hand carved, dovetailed, hand selected woods, hand finished . Which there is not room enough here to list my woodworking tools. I have restored classic cars, sailboats, dump trucks, tractors. It's a way I get rid of frustration in order to build my furniture. But give me a campfire. I love to travel. At seventy I'm giving nothing up.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #17

Bruce, I have those tools too, plus acetylene, arc, TIG, and MIG. No plasm cutters though. I've built a few wood thing with brads, glue and duc tape. I lover tinkering too much to go FT'n. I try to get to the campfire at the dune every 2 to 4 weeks.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't call it a hobby by any means but still owning a S&B kind of limits you. We stop in every now and then (do the Chevy Chase Grand Canyon nod) and hit the road again.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #19

I'm doomed for a S&B life. That's ok; I don't mind...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #20

I'm heavily involved in a couple hobbies, and have a lifetime's collection of tools. Not the big stuff you're talking about (band and table saw, drill press about the biggest I have), but I'm equipped well enough to work on or build/re-build about anything that would ever interest me. I've rebuilt a couple of airplanes, boats, and built a 1400 sq ft vacation home with an even bigger garage (more room for "stuff") - by myself - to stay busy after a divorce a few years back.

Since then I've found a lady willing to put up with me, and not long ago retired (involuntarily). Still, I had not itched an urge to do some traveling. Never done much previously, so the lady (hasn't done much traveling either) and I have decided to scratch that itch. That's what led to the purchase of an older DP. Using and taking care of it is something I can approach as ANOTHER hobby. We're having a blast with it. We're going on longer trips all the time. Our first was for ten days, the last was 5 weeks, and the next (soon!) is for 8 weeks! But we will not likely ever go full time. Like you, I need time to spend with my other hobbies. I can see myself spending considerable time on the road, maybe doing that a couple times a year, but can't see myself doing the FT thing. -Al
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I WANT to be Full Timing but... When my grand daughter was born to my youngest son... I was there to help out and I could never seem to leave. Now they have a new born son so I'm REALLY stuck here now. I've become a house keeper and full time NANNY!!! I love my grand kids but my other 10 grand kids would like me to visit too. Besides.. I kinda wanted to see more of the world while I still can. Oh well... I hear my grand daughter sturing... time to go get her up. Maybe next year....
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Even with all that equipment, I still find myself with nothing to do at times. I've been known to break things just so I have something to do. I would rather make a tool than go out and buy one.
I wish I lived closer to you, Dunner! I'd be over at your place all the time asking for help with projects!! You've got all the tools and the place to do it too! I will not be FT anytime soon, got too many bills to pay off!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I am the same way. Although I love RVing and it is part of my families lifestyle, I could never "full-time". I have a shop full of tools/equipment that I use daily and even when we retire my wife and I have commented that we cold not go full-time.

We are heavy into sand duning and Jeeping right now, we just sold our snowmobiles two years ago to dive deeper into the dunes-off-road. I love building and fabricating but could not leave my home or shop for the life on the road.

When my wife and I retire I see us taking longer trips but definately not on a full time basis and selling our home.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #24

What do people do for S&B security when they're gone for an "extended" weekend? I have a couple neighbors who have taken care of me in the past, like when I left the garage door open and had a vehicle broken into by a kid on drugs. I suppose I could look into a house sitter.

Glad to see I'm not alone with the love for my hobbies and the need for a S&B.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #25

For many on this forum the ultimate pinnacle of
RV success is to full time, shed the life of all home based stuff and hit the road with the freedom that it brings. I don't see it that way for me. The RV is a vacation platform, perhaps for even as long as six months or a year at a time but simply not a FT thing. I like a little more room and space than any RV affords and some notion of home base somewhere.

To answer your question, folks with airplanes, horses, large boats, grandkids, and even those with part time jobs or who volunteer probably would find it hard to FT. Many are attached to church, social, service or civic organizations making it hard to be gone for months at a time. I admire those that can cut the cords holding them back and be on the road for months or years, but for me right now it is probably not in the cards.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #26

Quote:
What do people do for S&B security when they're gone for an "extended" weekend? I have a couple neighbors who have taken care of me in the past, like when I left the garage door open and had a vehicle broken into by a kid on drugs. I suppose I could look into a house sitter.

I forward my mail to a neighbor, turn the water off, the t-stats down, and make sure I'm current with the insurance company....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

My wife and I still work full time so when we take off for vacations we have either my FIL/MIL look in on our house once a day or I have a guy that I work with that will drive by on his way home from work.

We stop our mail, turn off the water, turn heat down a few degrees and inform our neighbors who are all good about keeping an eye on things. We do the same for them when they take off for a weekend.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I forward my mail to a neighbor, turn the water off, the t-stats down, and make sure I'm current with the insurance company....
We do the same. We purposely bought into a small (150 homes) manufactured home community where everyone is retired. Lots of eyeballs watching out for each other. All our bills are auto paid from checking or on line, so we are freed up to travel. This has worked well for two summers. Although we have throughly enjoyed both of our 5 month stints on the road, we find coming home very enjoyable.

Simplicity is KING! Geez, I don't even mow our own grass anymore...man, I am GOOD at this retirement thing! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote