Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #1

Who can replace RV flooring

We want to replace the tile and carpet in our motorhome with a laminate flooring. Does anyone know of anyone in the Phoenix, Arizona area who they can recommend for a job like this? Alternatively, I'd be interested in success stories from flooring jobs done by anyone, anywhere.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Jerry & Shirley, hi I have a friend who is a flooring installer, I know he winters around
Apache Junction but not sure exactly where. He has over 30 years and is awsome
to work with. His name is Jim Bonus I will try and find a number you can reach him
on.

As to success stories I am almost completed with my laminate install and I also have
30 years in flooring. I still have the driver side front and the dog house to complete
hope to finish up in a couple days and then begin fulltiming it with the wife.
I won't however be in AZ untill mid fall. good luck and I'll try getting that number.
BJ
bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #3

I just replaced the carpet and vinyl in my RV with laminate, from the driver's seat all the way through the kitchen and into the rear bedroom including the steps. What a difference, makes the interior look brighter (Beech) and larger!

Steve
StevePav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #4

Steve when possible let see some photos.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Close to two years ago we did the same as Steve did . Very pleased with the results and ease of maintenance.

You might want to do a search on "pace89". Terry has posted pictures of his installation.

You might want to investigate "Allure" which is similar to laminate in that it's a floating floor, but is made of vinyl strips that stick together on the edges.
If I had known about Allure when I installed laminate I would have seriously considered it. The installation would have been much easier I think.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #6

Floor Replacement: do it yourself!!

Here is a link to pictures of our new floor, and the installation. We used Allure from Home Depot. Since we did ours, Allure has become very popular for RV floor replacement. It is easy to install, looks great, comes in a lot of patterns, and it not too expensive. Take a look our out pictures, look umder posts by Gloriebkj for more comments and pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/johno023...eat=directlink
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Very nice job Noel. Allure flooring is on my project list for this winter. Thanks for the great photos.

One question: Did you "glue" laminate in the stairwell?
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #8

Yes, some of the pieces in and around the staiewell are glued in place, also a lot of staples helped somewhat. Had to do it that way as there is no glue on the Allure pieces. A good tool was the $20 air stapler that I got from Harbor Freight. Worked on some of the baseboard, and some other odd places. Notice the step box in the stairwell. I saw that when we took out the carpet, and immediately thought "Storage" ! Just added a hinge.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
One more question Noel; Why did you put down a new sub-floor when, from your photos, the original sub-floor looked to be in great shape?

Thanks in advance for allowing me to pick your brain prior to launching my project!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #10

Why the Sub-floor??

Yes, we discovered that the base floor was in much better condition than we expected. We had a bit of flooding one time, and were really afraid of what we would find. Apparently that wasn't a sub-floor, rather the only floor. Therre were several flat-head bolts in the floor, which seemed to be just a bit raised, so that is why we put in the veneer. We used 1/8 inch luan veneer, which came in 3x7 sheets rather than the usual 4x8. We feel that it gave us a smoother overall surface, and was easy to cut with only a utility knife. However, it probably would have worked just as well without.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:49 AM   #11

Thinking about doing something similar but concerned about how to handle the slide in our unit.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #12

Don't know much about slides, but does it have rollers on the carpet??
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nice job Noelj. The Allure is great for RV, easy to put down and very tough. We recently installed it in our MH and it is MUCH better than the carpet it replaced. Even though I rolled the seams we had a little issue with some of the seams lifting. Eventually they stayed down and all is well. We are very pleased with the ease of installation. Thought there would be an increase of noise but there was none. Very happy with the temperature neutral and not cold like ceramic tile. Thanks for the tip on using staples and glue on the entry vertical pieces. That will be next on ours. Have not done the curb side and not sure we will. May not be worth the effort for little gain. Our main concern was the main flooring between the slides. With two little dogs the carpet stayed a mess and was hard to keep clean.

Thanks for the excellent post and pictures and great job.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #14

We were also worried about increased noise, and like you, did not notice any. Seconds on the dog problem, we have three in your, and the mess with the carpet was horrible. Now, just a bit of sweeping and all is OK. We really appreciated the Allure when we did the beacher on the Atlantic coast this spring. We had sand from our feet and the dogs everywhere! Again a bit with a broom and it was gone. Never would have gotten it our of carpet.