Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

Who carries a gas can for back up

A short time after I bought my gas MH, the Workhorse dash display went blank, 1200 miles from home. Drove it home using Gps for speed and miles covered. Warranty covered the display, but I felt carrying a empty can would be wise. Picked up a great looking 5.5 gal plastic tank.

So after 9 years of toting the can, a neighbor borrowed it today and when he returned it he thanked me with 2 gals of fuel. I then tried pouring in into my tank well the spout was too short to open the filler check door and with all GOV. safety features, I had more gas on me then in the tank. I had same luck with the Jeep toad. I could have thrown more gas into the tank bare handed which is what my wife said it smelled like I did.

So if you do carry one you might want to check it.

drive safe TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This item came with my 2011 F-150 from the factory , stick it into the fill nozzle and then fill with a gas can......never heard of such a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel funnel.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	80260  
Old 11-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I own three 5 gallon plastic gas containers. One is those new EPA ones I will agree that the spout is too short. I don't use any for RVing (Truck & tt) but plan to carry one for a trip to AK. in 16'

Locally we have a free gas program with our local grocery chain, so that is why I own extra containers. After buying that newer gas container a few years back and seeing how poorly it preformed, I kept a outlook at garage sales to pick up some older 5 gallon containers.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I carry two of these around empty, to fill up my transfer tank. They are really heavy duty but you may not be able to tell in the photos. Mine are white and you can see the gas in them. You can get them at Amazon and many other internet sources. Here's a great deal on a Two-Pack with two filler hoses.

Here's the filler hose.

The tip of the nozzle is a Schedule 80 pvc pipe nipple with a threaded cap. It fits perfectly into a standard filler on any car and my transfer tank on my toy hauler. No spills. Replacement parts (hoses, caps, etc.) are readily available. I never cary gas more than a few blocks or from wherever the closest gas station is located. Not worth the risk.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #5

Get EZ-POUR spout and vent kits for the newer, useless cans. They are available on Ebay as well as some online farm supply companies.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what good is an empty can when the tank is empty. Roadside service will deliver gas if I run out.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I own three 5 gallon plastic gas containers. One is those new EPA ones I will agree that the spout is too short. I don't use any for RVing (Truck & tt) but plan to carry one for a trip to AK. in 16'

Locally we have a free gas program with our local grocery chain, so that is why I own extra containers. After buying that newer gas container a few years back and seeing how poorly it preformed, I kept a outlook at garage sales to pick up some older 5 gallon containers.

What is a "free gas program" ?

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

Yep, been there, done the same thing. My new gas can is about 2 gallons, and has just enough nozzle to make it to my gas filler. But I sure do like the idea of a funnel to make the transfer easier.

I don't bother with carrying a full gas can except when I head out with the trailer. I put in premium gas, and it's purely to fuel the generator. What I don't use camping goes into the truck tank when I get home. That way.. any fuel in the gas can is fresh. This gives me a small reserve while travelling with the trailer. Works for me!

Nick B
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't let the gas tank get much below 1/2 a tank before I am looking for a truck stop. And if I were to foolishly run out of gas, Good Sam or AAA will bring me a can of gas.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
In addition to fuel used, the ScanGuageII will give you lots of performance information.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a 2 gallon can in my Jeep, and I also carry a long filler funnel. GoodSam road service showed up once to put gas in my Jeep and they had to fashion a funnel from a water bottle to get any into the tank from their can. I have since fixed the gas gauge, but still carry the can out of habit, and "just in case". I would have to almost be on the off ramp for the 2 gallons to get me to a station if I needed it for the MH.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
I don't let the gas tank get much below 1/2 a tank before I am looking for a truck stop. And if I were to foolishly run out of gas, Good Sam or AAA will bring me a can of gas.
Looking for a gas station every 200 miles? No thanks, I am looking at 400 miles when it gets below a 1/4 tank. Gas buddy and my GPS both tell me how far to the next station.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
Took the words right off my key board...
Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #14

I carry two steel five gallon safety cans with 12" metal flexible nozzles. They are always full, but I empty them into my tank every now and then so I can refill them with fresh gas.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas