Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #43

On our recent 8 hour trip to Myrtle Beach the DW drove for an hour up and an hour back. She always scares the crap out of me when she first starts driving because she drives on the right line. No amount of coaching to get over left seems to change her style for about the first 15 minutes. Eventually she will center in the lane, but until then I have a death grip on the armrests

Truly thankful she will drive though and give me a break.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #44

I (male) do 95% of the driving. DW is not a bad driver but I even prefer to drive us around at home in our cars. She likes to drive the MH so if anything happens to me on the road she can get us back home. I just picked up our newer MH home in Florida and made it back to CA. in 5 1/2 days. Nor bad for an old fool.
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
❤️❤️

Will we see you in Pahrump?
Possibly, will need to coordinate. How's Idaho? Decided to keep or sell?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #46

I drive in the morning; she takes over after lunch until about 5 pm at which time I takeover or we park for the night. We did it that way in car trips, also. My attention span starts to wain after about 5 hours behind the wheel and I suspect hers does also. By splitting the driving we can usually cover 500 miles a day and get to our destination fresh and "ready to get at it". I will admit sitting in the right seat of a NEW RV does test ones marriage. I know she feels the same way.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
I see lots of couples in motorhomes these days, but rarely do I see the woman driving. Maybe my observations are an anomaly, so I'm curious: How much of the driving is done by your wife/girlfriend? In my case, the wife likes to drive so we generally split the driving 50/50 (or at least 60/40, with me being the 60). And, yes, for the sake of this discussion, I'm assuming the "wife" is a woman, and, yes, I'm assuming most of the posters in this forum are men.
We just started our RV journey's, but wife will be driving majority of time since she has CDL license. Think she has driven ever vehicle imaginable.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
100% here. I've always enjoyed driving and don't really like being a passenger. Maybe it would be fun to sit in the co-pilot seat and write and watch the view but that's not an option as a solo rv'er. Think I'd have a hard time if the driver was too far to the right over the line.

My comfort comes in part from driving a school bus while in college. Figured it would be about the same except I wouldn't have kids yelling, hitting or throwing things in the back. In fact one of the first things I noticed was I didn't have a mirror to check what was going on inside behind me. On that note, another thing I really miss is not having a mirror in front of the coach to check for kids in front of the vehicle. Have thought about adding one because of the additional confidence it gave me as a driver.

Perhaps it is just my very independent nature, but I've never understood women who don't want to know anything about hooking up and the stuff "outside" but I do understand well the division of labor -- his department and her department -- just makes life easier not to have to understand it all. But the traditional inside/outside job carries over better in a house, in my opinion. Motorhomes are just so complicated. It is nice to have two people to sort through issues as they come up. Guess that's part of what brings us together, here, in this virtual community.
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #49

My wife drives 0% of the time. And she absolutely refuses. Even before we bought, she said she was never going to drive it. I certainly won’t push her to drive. She will barely drive the toad, and that’s just a Ford Explorer.
Diesel_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to get my wife to drive our MH!
^^^^
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #51

I'm a single woman who travels alone, so I do 100% of the driving. I currently have a F350 crew cab long bed and a 34 foot fifth wheel. I had a short bed 250 and 35 foot travel trailer before this. I day drive the truck to my job downtown and park it in a parking garage. You have to pay attention to the size, obviously, but I love it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #52

What would happen if the question was reversed. Who does most of the meal preparation.'
Being a modern woman I can honestly say I am capable of doing either job.

n

can honestly, wat woulrd happen if I just reversed the question and asked Who does most of the meal preparation.

Being a modern day American woman
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My husband is a very good cook and he does a lot of the cooking. He's been home the last 14 years while I still worked so it made sense for him to pick that up. He doesn't seem to want to give it up so why argue with him. I cook a couple times a month and especially breakfast but do a lot of the clean up.

Like I said we both drive and both set up. Both can do it all but we share the work. I too have seen women sit there and let their husbands do it all and wonder if it is because they refuse to help or get told everything they do is wrong so don't help.

I do all the laundry and doubt he would have a clue as he has never done any of it. Works for us though.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #54

*** update****The fiancée just climbed behind the wheel for the first time in 4 years...
She asked if she would be getting here first wheel time this morning like she always says before we leave for anywhere.

I got the unit about an hour away from home and pulled over and got out of the seat and said, “have at it.” She thought I must have been ill. Lol.

First quotes, “ I really need to get around this guy” and “Geesh, those trucks can blow you around.”

She is doing well as I sit over here writing this.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Myrons,

Congratulations to both of you!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
I do about 90-95%. Wife would do more but she gets sleepy driving the coach for some reason. Plus she only does interstates.

Tom
About the same here. Rest area to rest area but she does a great job and I enjoy the break.