Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
Senior Member / RVM 89

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Who does quarterly spraying for bugs inside your RV?

I want to spray the interior of our RV with a good "home defense" bug spray. I used an Ortho product at our stick-and-brick for years with great results. I'd like to do the same thing in our motorhome: spray inside closets and along the walls at floor level behind cabinets, furniture, etc. A spider crawling on the ceiling jumped at me when I tried to swar it. Thus began my thinking on this topic!

However. My spouse isn't convinced that I should spray. She asked me to get some opinions here. So, what say??? To spray or not to spray?

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Personally I am not a big proponent of "maintenance" spraying for bugs. Except for a few times when we ended up with ants in coach we've never had a problem. A little Terro and the ant problem is solved until next time. But if you have a persistent problem with critters it might not be a bad idea as long as you remove all food stuffs, remove all the bedding/towels, clothes, spray or bomb followed by a THOROUGH airing out before returning all the washed linen, clothes, towels, etc. Be sure to open all the cupboards, raise the bed, open the closets jack knife or pull out sofa before spraying though! Good Luck!

Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Also not a big fan but - if I was going to do it I would be doing the outside around the penetrations to the house.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
I find that the high temperatures inside from parking in the sun kill bugs. Off season, however, mice can be a problem. I have yet to see any spiders.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
In my neck of the woods spiders can get out of control pretty quick.

I keep our motor home on a vacant lot next door under some trees. I started seeing spiders and their little black dots so I sprayed the outside with Home Defense. No more spiders.

Same thing on our house, I used to have a company spray the outside but over the years it went from 50 bucks to over 400. I started spraying home defense on the exterior and I rarely see a spider on the inside.

I'm not against spraying in the home but I've never had to. Plus with 5 cats it's a hassle to corral them into one room until the spray dries.

My tip is empty the gallon into a pump up sprayer and use that to apply. It's a lot easier to control the spray.
tcg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have an exterminator that sprays our house once per quarter. This guy has been performing this service for us for around 20 years. When he is here, I have him spray the motorhome as well. So far, we have had no issues with bugs inside either the house or the camper.
Duane, Claudine and Ashleigh Miller
Apex, NC
2009 Winnebago Sightseer 37L, Ford F-53 Chassis
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
We full-timed 16 years - never sprayed and didn't have a bug problem - a spider now and then but big deal. Sprays can discolor carpeting, wallboard or wood. I think RV space is too confining to spray.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #8

Another concern I have (probably unfounded) is whether or not some of those sprays are corrosive. And with so much aluminum used in RV construction . . . .
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
We live in country and it en a wave of roaches would appear in the yard.

Discovered roach pills which are tablets of boric acid and sugar and they come in a box at hd for about 5 bucks.

Toss one here and there and they look like folks at a bar...They come up and nibble then go away and die.

Have not seen any in long time now.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've used Ortho Home Defense in 2 travel trailers and our current class A. From the roof to the underside and inside, never had a problem using it and it kept us bug fee so far (knock on wood).
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the Bengal Roach Spray in both the MH and house. It seems to be effective on spiders, etc. as well as roaches! It's odorless and invisible after spraying around all the baseboards, bed, etc. We've been using it for years with good results!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
In the old days, exterminators would wear full body suits and breathe through a respirator. They'd go into a house and "nuke" those bugs.

Now, exterminators go in wearing golf shirts and khaki pants. And they're going to "scare" those bugs out of your house. Those tanks on their trucks are just for show, as no serious chemicals go in them.

Exterminators are now insurance companies--rather than "critter ridders."

If you want to find out how to get rid of 150 critters and bugs, read BugSpray.com--an Atlanta area pesticide store. They sell the really good chemicals and have traps to keep your house (and your RV) rid of any pests.

And to all of you that have those little green pest control thingies around your house, your pest control company is ripping you off for a monthly service. There are termites in every shovel of dirt in your yard, and those traps are naturally going to eventually be eaten by termites. You can treat most houses for $150--far less than $1200 the pest control company will want.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Treat the RV for bugs as you do the sticks and bricks if you feel needed, it will be fine.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use ortho home defense, works well

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote