Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #15

Once I was pulled over in South Georgia... somewhere around Donalsonville I believe on Hwy 91... It's a back road that we took from Cordele to Panama City Beach. The reason I got pulled... Because I was driving an older RV! Seems the little rural counties were have a problem with drug runners buying up used RV's filling them with drugs and driving them to their destination on the back roads. If pulled, they would simply dump the vehicle. We freaked him out just a little... when I pulled over, the cop was right behind me. David pulled up behind the cop a couple of minutes later (David was driving the truck and towing his big cargo trailer). I told the cop that it was my husband and that was the only reason he got me pulled over on a deserted road. He said he "could tell" I wasn't a drug runner just by looking at me and let me go.

I have been told this by city, county and state cops... For anyone who does get blue lighted in a location where you don't feel comfortable pulling over... you can use your cell phone to call 911 to get hold of the local cops (even if it is state troopers) and tell them what you are driving and the approximate location (if you know the road you are on but often not necessary). Explain why you will be driving to a better/more populated location. "I'm a woman driving alone" is a sufficient explanation. I would imagine the "it's a 40 ft RV I need a big spot to get it off the road" would also be a good one.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
We got pulled over in Missouri for running drugs. We didn't get a ticket. What Patty? Oh that was suspicion of running drugs.

The thread on iRV2 was active for quite some time.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Driving North on I-5, fifth vehicle (MH) in a line of of cars, all in the right lane. I got stopped for speeding, 65 in a 55 mph zone. (I never did see the speed limit sign, even after going back a few days later and looking for it.) I know there is no sense arguing with the CHP but after he finished writing the ticket I said "can I ask a question?", "Why was I stopped with all the cars in front going the same speed and no one passing?" He just shook his head and walked back to his car. Luckily it only cost me $76.00 and no points.
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All in favor of no tickets raise your right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> foot
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I visited with our local lady State Patrol Officer last year. She wanted to view the inside of our Chieftain. I have personally known her for several years. She told me that RVers have a sizable investment in their RVs and take care of them very well. They generally are law abiding travelers and she has never had a need to stop one for violations. She did indicate she has assisted several with breakdowns on the highway.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Last November while heading down to the gulf coast I blew right through a red light. I was on a major highway at a cross street. The light turned yellow and I thought I had plenty of time to get through before the light changed to red. NOT! I didn't realize it at the time, but I apparently didn't clear the intersection before the light turned red. Ends up it was one of those new Red Light Cameras. Didn't know I goofed until about three weeks later I received a ticket in the mail. They have a web site where you can view the actual video of your offense.

Later I was talking to a couple of guys who travel through this same town on a weekly basis due to their trucking jobs. Ends up this little town has about fifteen of these cameras and according to the two guys I spoke with they claim if you time the yellow lights they are shorter then the yellow lights that don't have cameras.

I read somewhere on the internet this was happening elsewhere also. Supposedly Denver got into a bit of trouble when one of the tv news stations investigated the timing on some of their red light cameras intersections.

So be on the lookout. And if you think you can get through a yellow light, you might want to re-think it.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Pulled over on the I 75 in Florida. One of our bikes was blocking a bit of the license plate so the trooper asked me to adjust it. No ticket.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never been stopped, but my FIL recieved a ticket from Delaware for running a red light.
Seems that one of their intersection cameras got his coach going through, The front end went through on the yellow and the tail end on the red. As he approached the light suddenly changed, not enough time for him to stop safely without maybe getting rammed from behind.
He was informed by them that, that was no excuse and it didn't matter that there was 33' behind him! They told him that he should drive more careful and be more aware driving such a rig!
Whatta bunch of maroons!
As far as I'm concerned those cameras should not be allowed and it is a scam to begin with!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
As far as I'm concerned thosed cameras should not be allowed and it is a scam to begin with!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 southwind 37C
I'm curious, why would you prefer the subjective assessment of a LEO to the actual photographs of the incident?

As for changing the timing on the yellow lights... that does happen and should not be allowed!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob King View Post
"Why was I stopped with all the cars in front going the same speed and no one passing?" He just shook his head and walked back to his car. Luckily it only cost me $76.00 and no points.
Bob
I asked that very question of one of our local RCMP officers, fortunately it was a social occasion. He said and I quote "Have you ever gone duck hunting?" I replied well yes I had. He then said " It's the same thing you just pick a duck out of the lineup and shoot"
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm curious, why would you prefer the subjective assessment of a LEO to the actual photographs of the incident?

As for changing the timing on the yellow lights... that does happen and should not be allowed!

Rick
Rick, To your first question, I don't! I've had my personal incidents with their subjective assessments and they lost everytime!

To your second reply you are correct and that is where the scam comes into play!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
It is perfectly legal to enter a intersection while the light is yellow. These cameras do nothing but generate revenue.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
It is perfectly legal to enter a intersection while the light is yellow.
Really? I thought yellow meant that one was to stop if they could do so safely. So... under some circumstances I agree it's legal but not always.

As for the cameras being a revenue generator I'm sure that's true but I'd rather see revenue generated from violators who make our streets dangerous than on the backs of all of us... just my opinion.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Now that we have agreed that it is perfectly legal to enter an intersection with a yellow light, there are no laws on the books governing specifically when you must exit the intersection. The camera does not tell the story of someone who legally enters an intersection ( yes really and under the right circumstances) and must slow down for what ever reason. The light turns red and the camera snaps a revenue making picture. The driver did everything correctly and for this gets a ticket in the mail. This promotes drivers to floor it or slam on the brakes when they see a yellow light in fear of the camera ( creates a whole new dangerous situation).