Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Who is the best value for roadside assistance

I'm a new class A motorhome owner. We inherited a 1998 bounder from my father in law. The tires alone are so big, I can't imagine changing one on the side of the interstate.

He was a lifetime Good Sam member and swore by their roadside assistance program. Before I follow his lead, I wanted to get some input from this forum. Who are you using and why do you like them?

Thanks
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
I'm a new class A motorhome owner. We inherited a 1998 bounder from my father in law. The tires alone are so big, I can't imagine changing one on the side of the interstate.

He was a lifetime Good Sam member and swore by their roadside assistance program. Before I follow his lead, I wanted to get some input from this forum. Who are you using and why do you like them?

Thanks
Dave
For RVers there are only two viable options. Good Sam that you have mentioned and Coach Net:

http://www.coach-net.com/

You will find partisans for both. Look them over and pick one.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #3

Thanks Steve.

If anyone prefers one over the other, I'd like to know your reasons.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #4

I use coach-net after reading in here that more people prefer coach over good sam. Had to use them a few months ago for a blown transmission. They were excellent. Called back every hour to see how things were going. It was a recording but you hit a number and someone calls you back.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use CoachNet, have had two very good, impressive experiences with them, and recommend them unequivocally. If you search on iRV2, you'll find an abundance of discussion and opinion on this subject.

Having said that, whether you choose CoachNet or Good Sam, choose a higher level package. You may not need or want medical evacuation, etc., but when it comes to services and towing, get the best unlimited package available. For just an extra $20 or $30 bucks per year, you won't find yourself with additional surprises while your coach is immobile.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #6

We started with Good Sam several years ago. Found their services to be fair at best, and switched to Coach Net. We find their services to be outstanding.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on what will go wrong in the future

We've had good sam for 3 years and not had to use it...
But the new rv has coachnet for a year free so we'll see how they respond when we don't need it

good luck...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome.

I use Coachnet and have been very happy with them. I've never used Good Sam so don't have any first hand knowledge but my perception is that the membership here prefers Coachnet(?)

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had Good Sam for several years, and used them several times with very good results. That said, I have recently moved to Coach-Net via FMCA as it was less money and includes a technical support service as well. I have not had the occasion to use Coach-net as of yet.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #10

I am with AAA and chose them because I like their dependability. They do have a 100 mile free tow limitation, but I cannot count the times I have been more than a 100 miles from a repair facility. I like there list of dependable shops more than Good Sam or Coach Net.

It is important to note I have a FW not a MH.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #11

I just happened to be reading our Progressive renewal notice and saw that our RV coverage includes roadside assistance. It has no mileage limitation. Does anyone else have the coverage and how good is it?

Hope I am not stealing this thread.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
People get something like CoachNet/Good Sam along with insurance. Will the insurance company tow you or help you with diesel/gas or your trailer if you broke down? Usually CoachNet/Good Sam is called for a brake down and the insurance company is called for an accident.