Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
On my coach I have, occasionally, accidently disabled the converter.. This has the same effect exactly.
Mine is pretty basic at the converter. Two #10 wires and a ground. It plugs in to an AC outlet right there too. Very hard to see where the two "battery" wires go before arriving at the batteries. Everything I can get my hands to is connected, clean and tight. My disconnect switches are heavy duty and manual, eliminating the solenoids that would be there. What else could I not be seeing that maybe has been accidentally disabled?

My BIGGEST problem right now is the cold Tennessee rain that is preventing me from crawling around underneath or in the compartments doing more troubleshooting.

Oh, Sun...where are your rays when I need them most? I guess this would be Motorhome Murphy law...5 nice dry days into this trip with NO issues, and the first day it rains, I need it dry!

Thanks y'all....will be checking all of these suggestions soon, I hope!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

What I think is happening is that when you are hooked up to "Shore Power' your converter is doing what it is suppose to and converting 120 volts to 12 volts to power all your lights, etc. But!! it's not charging your "shore batteries". So when you unplugged you quickly ran the batteries down. Now, you could still start the engine because that battery is isolated from the shore batteries. And, once the engine is running your engine alternator is putting out enough currant to run everything. (But, it's maxed out I bet). So, what I'm saying is that your power converter is not charging your batteries when your plugged in.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Joe, is the one outside for your chassis battery or do you have two for the house batteries?

Rick
In the electrical bay outside there are two HUGE rotary "kill" switches, one for the house batteries and one for the engine batteries. I'm not sure, but I believe the "salesman" switch inside only turns off all the 12V lights in the MH.

Joe

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
So, what I'm saying is that your power converter is not charging your batteries when your plugged in.
Thanks everyone. Caveman, you are correct. That concept is what I finally started chasing last night. Armed and wielding my multimeter and flashlight, I braved the cold damp night on a pad of hard gravel, tracing and chasing wires like a mad man.

FINALLY came around from underneath to a buss terminal bar inside the battery compartment. I found that, while getting good voltage to the bar, not all of the branched-out feeds that roam throughout the MH were carrying good voltage.

Long story shortened, my converter wires that back-feed into the bar to charge back to the batteries were not tight. In fact, many of them were perfectly tight, and the bar probably needs replacing. But for now, its as tight as I could get it, and I have lights and blowers!!

Thanks for everyone's input!! So glad to be becoming part of y'alls circle!!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AH, you had a screw (or rather a few screws) loose.

I'm fond of saying many RVers have a few screws loose, and that, just happens to be the kind of screw I'm talking about. The ones holding wires, To bus bars, To breakers, and to plugs and outlets and other electrical connetion screws.

True story: Had a brand new sticker in window 5-er with no 120vac.. Rig has a detachable cord with a Marinco Outlet and matching inlet on RV.. Outlet, not one screw inside it had been tightened down.. NOT ONE, outlet end fell off in my hand.

Tags
lights