Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
I worry about not having jacks, and the pull force of the shocks. Comments?
Depends on access on your rig, but I changed my 4 with wheels on - including having to get in with an angle grinder to cut one of the stuck bolts out. Did it in an isolated gravel pit south of Anchorage so nobody could hear my cursing.

Normal shocks don't have any pull force and the gas filled ones only have a few psi in them so the extending force isn't that high and can be overcome fairly easily

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everything I can do and some things I can't. You never know what you can't do if you don't try. The RV IS my hobby, I just camp to make things break so I can fix it. JM2...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same here! The RV is my hobby. Fixing things and tricking it out are fun! Years ago I was a certified ASE mechanic so I have the knowledge and tools. I find adding gadgets and working on the house portion of things much more satisfying than the mechanical end. That being said, I still do all the mechanical. On our old MH I replaced the generator and had to troubleshoot a bunch of electrical problems. At some point I think I worked on every system on that coach. Its great though because you literally get to know every portion of your RV and can usually diagnose the problem without even looking at it. I think it would be very hard to own an RV both financially and time wise if you could not do the work yourself. Im going outside in a bit even though its 20 degrees outside. Im going to fire up the furnace and install a new CB radio!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #18

Ditto on the RV Hobby thang..
I'm pretty heavily mechanically inclined (thanks dad), and background in electronics, so there is very little I can't do, time permitting. My natural fear of leaving the coach on shop lots that are too small with mechanics whose abilities that are sometimes questionable are also big motivators.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #19

I do all my own maintenance and mods. About the only thing I have not done myself is tires.
I like the idea of calling it a hobby.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Right now, I am having most work done at the shop, but I am asking lots of questions of the mechanics with the plan of doing most of the maintenance myself after I hit the road fulltime. I am also going to attend a Camp Freightliner in the spring (even though I don't have a FL) hoping to learn more. I have no problem doing my own maintenance as long as I know the correct way to do it. Incidentally, I am finding that mechanics seem happy to answer questions about the right and wrong of maintenance. And this site has been loads of help!
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If I can't or my partner can't and my neighbor can't (hasn't been anything yet) we haven't fixed or upgraded on our old MH then I take it in to the shop. After I took my 64 caddie into one of our neighborhood shops to look at the carb and was told none of there machnics has evey worked on a carburetor/engine we started doing everything on it (very little) our selfs. Got burnt bad from one shop, I swore never again.
When I have to take either in for something I drive 40 miles from home to have it done. They stand behind there work, after a little over a year the manifold gasket they replaced let lose they repaired it and another leak (after there repair) they found. N/C. I new I found a good shop he drives a 69 Chev SS,
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a side note. When you find a good honest service establishment, treat the mechanics and staff like gold. A little goes a long way. I run a dealership and my father in law recently purchased a vehicle. He's an old school kind of guy. Deals done on a handshake and relationships are valued kind of guy. He stops in at least once a month not for service but just to say high to the guys in service and drop off a dozen donuts. Guess who gets treated like gold when he comes in and it has nothing to do with his son in law running the place. They shoot the bull for a while and have a cup of coffee. I have a handful of customers like that and the relationships are valued and the visits looked forward to on both parts.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have referred this shop on irv2, I believe they are that good.We are going to send a Thankyou card because they treated us so well. They have a wall of them in the office. Great bunch of guys and 1 gal !!!
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #24

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I do most everything that I can. I purchased my unit in May and went over everthing and serviced anything I could. Decided to send it in for a trans flush because the pan and bolts were rested enough to be PIA.
We did a long run in July and no problems.
So I guess I did a good job!
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=Tony Lee;1803557]Many if not most campgrounds prohibit washing or mechanical work on your site, but the strange thing is there is never a problem if the local mobile wash service comes and does it for you. Always wondered why.

Kick backs is the reason. Did ya ever notice they have only one mobile washer to call?

Tags
maintenance