Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Who Works on their own Rigs? & Minor Maintenance?

I am fairly mechanical having taken auto mechanics as a teenager and worked in a garage also. So yes I have done timing and Carb jobs. Something a lot of mechanics today haven't a clue.

Work on a lot of mechanical aspects of the S&B also but really not much at all on the RV's we have had. Some but not a lot.

I have heard about guys working on the Refrigerator systems, AC's, Hydraulics, and recently about changing tires. I have changed a lot of tires but none on a RV.

Just curious how may of you do your own work? We will be FT soon and of course will allow me to do more of it but seems like a lot of CG's will not allow such activity.

We stayed at one recently that would not allow you to wash your rig. That really is screwy I think. I like a nice clean, polished Coach and I would think CG's would want that also. My guess if they will not even let you wash it they probably prohibit other maintenance.

With cost factors as such, if I am physically able I will certainly attempt the job.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll repair as much as possible on my own.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I am fairly mechanical having taken auto mechanics as a teenager and worked in a garage also. So yes I have done timing and Carb jobs. Something a lot of mechanics today haven't a clue.

Work on a lot of mechanical aspects of the S&B also but really not much at all on the RV's we have had. Some but not a lot.

I have heard about guys working on the Refrigerator systems, AC's, Hydraulics, and recently about changing tires. I have changed a lot of tires but none on a RV.

Just curious how may of you do your own work? We will be FT soon and of course will allow me to do more of it but seems like a lot of CG's will not allow such activity.

We stayed at one recently that would not allow you to wash your rig. That really is screwy I think. I like a nice clean, polished Coach and I would think CG's would want that also. My guess if they will not even let you wash it they probably prohibit other maintenance.

With cost factors as such, if I am physically able I will certainly attempt the job.
If it's not covered in mud just get some Dry Wash N Guard or other similar product and polish the rig.
And, you're right, lots of places won't allow you to do more than wash the front window (if even that). Our favorite campground allows you to wash the whole rig but prohibits any routine maintenance work, either by you or anyone else. They would allow emergency service or towing though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #4

Many if not most campgrounds prohibit washing or mechanical work on your site, but the strange thing is there is never a problem if the local mobile wash service comes and does it for you. Always wondered why.

Repairs? We rarely stay in commercial campgrounds anyway and I can always find a vacant industrial site or gravel quarry or even an isolated slab of concrete to do any repairs I need to do. Of course we don't do engine swaps and never leave a mess behind and don't make a nuisance of ourselves but oil change and grease is easy, change air cleaners and filters, faultfind water heater, replace shock absorbers, replace roof fans and last time in Mexico, remove and replace radiator and CAC so we could replace the water pump.

If we had a home base it might be different, but we are nomads in the true sense of the word so anywhere is as good as anywhere else.

Frankly, the way some go about it, washing the rig ends up one of the most un-neighbourly activities possible. Water sprayed for 10 yards all around, noisy pressure cleaners roaring for hours, detergent suds everywhere and water puddles all over the place.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'll repair as much as possible on my own.
Same here!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
HHg

We've stayed in a lot of campgrounds over the years, I tell them when I check in that I'm going to wash my windshield and front end. I tell them I use a spray gun with shut-off and an extension brush and I'll use as little water as possible. I don't ask, I tell them. No one has ever told me I can't. I also do most of my maintenance as I'm pretty good with tools. I do have Freightliner do my annual stuff (except the generator-which I do)

Hhg
Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So far I have done everything needed on mine with the exception of tires. We are right now staying in a pretty fancy RV park with a lot of rules. I just called a mobile repair service to replace my dash air compressor belt. It shredded an edge about 10 miles before we got here yesterday, still working but I'm afraid it will take the engine belt if it goes all the way before I get back home (325 miles). So I'm spending the first repair labor $$'s since I owned the thing, going to be about $250 with belt. Guess I'm getting soft, the younger "Brock" would have done it in the middle of the night.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

I do as much maintenance & repair on both my diesel truck and 5th wheel, oil changes, lubes, fuel filter, shocks, wheel bearing replace/repack, brakes, modifications, installing gauges, anything that doesn't require special tools or knowledge. I just drove 2,000 miles round trip to have my transmission beefed up, I know what's beyond my skills. Never had a breakdown on the road but if something didn't get done correctly, I always know who to blame. At age 70, I'd like to find someone I could trust to do this stuff, but so far I haven't found any shops like that.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kro1957,
I do as much repair and maintenance work as possible myself. This is for both the coach and chassis.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #10

I'm always dissapointed with the quality of work done at shops so I try to do as much as possible. If you have a gas chassis, the size of tools and parts aren't much different than pickups. My next projects are to service the basement air and repack the front wheel bearings.
You can find lots of places to do your service as long as you leave it like you found it, and if all else fails you can fit in a self serve car wash.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #11

I do any/everything I can. If I had to pay todays labor rates for the things I do I would not be able to afford the RV.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I do oil, grease, filters, and coach things. Replaced the refrigerator last winter. Need to do shocks right now. I have not made up my mind as to whether to attempt it myself or not. I have big compressor, and pneumatic tools, just never did any shocks of that size. I worry about not having jacks, and the pull force of the shocks. Comments?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Same here!
Me Too!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

1ciderdog-----That's my situation also.

Tags
maintenance