Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Angry WHY??

We are new RV'ers, purchased an older mechanically sound, interior ify, as a project and get away vehicle. After 3 months of work on it and travel, became perplexed on odd experiences, hence the WHY.

Why -
Do I need to keep the RV locked when in my secured backyard (6' block fence, trees blocking neighbor view) because neighbor kids think its fun to jump the fence and use it's bathroom without at least trying to flush? What a stench found some days after the event.

Why -
Would someone decide it is acceptable to connect non-PEX piping to PEX connections and assume clamping the !@!! out of it would prevent leaks?

Why -
Would anyone put standard air stems on dual tires when a small extended metal stems would make it reasonably possible to check pressure? And thanks to DT for NOT putting on new extended stems on a new tire set as agreed upon, over inflating the tires then want $$ to remedy.

Why -
Would you assume that slobbering putty on all exterior surface sealing points (doors, access panels, etc.) is an appropriate sealing method?

Why -
When driving in heavy traffic (and keeping up with it) do some individuals go to extensive, strange and dangerous lenghts to ensure they are NOT behind you?

Why -
Are most generators loud with vibration when they don't have to be?

And the last why -
Why are most RV'ers so pleasant and helpful even when I pull up in my old project RV?

Ah well, many questions and just venting a bit. This is a great web site and have gotten great advice and help!! Many thanks to all.
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ah... questions for the ages. The one size fits all answer is that you just can't fix stupid... or laziness.... or attitude.... or......

Hang in there and enjoy the scenery. Don't let jerks ruin your fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can only answer your final "Why". . .

Other RV'rs are pleasant and helpful when you pull up because many of us have had similar experiences as you have endured and know you could certainly use a smile and a bit of empathy.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
WHY dont you post some pix
safe travels
brianj
Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Answer, for all except the last question- ignorance.

It's a learning experience on several levels. As things progress, you'll be having a good time!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
WHY dont you post some pix
safe travels
brianj
I'd like to second that thought.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR
I'd like to second that thought.
Count me as the third vote! WHY DO PEOPLE NOT POST PICTURES? And why don't more of us use the files tab of this site to upload useful schematics, owners manuals and the like... My motto is "an RV that's in use, is better than a million dollar one sitting on the dealers lot"
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #8

I was recently at a CG in Tucson, AZ. A small group of 1960's GMC motorhomes came in for a rally. Some were ongoing restoration projects and some were done. All were beautiful. They were of a nice design.

Poor workmanship comes from ignorance.

Ill mannered children comes from ignorant parents. Send a cease and desist letter certified with return receipt to the parents. Warn of the leg traps now set out to stop tresspassing.

If you are in an RV or even a tent, you are one of us, IMHO.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
Why -
Do I need to keep the RV locked when in my secured backyard (6' block fence, trees blocking neighbor view) because neighbor kids think its fun to jump the fence and use it's bathroom without at least trying to flush? Because some parents today don't "school" their children as our parents did. I might have done something like you describe but if my parents found out I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week.

Why -
Would someone decide it is acceptable to connect non-PEX piping to PEX connections and assume clamping the !@!! out of it would prevent leaks?
Stupid and/or lazy

Why -
Would anyone put standard air stems on dual tires when a small extended metal stems would make it reasonably possible to check pressure? And thanks to DT for NOT putting on new extended stems on a new tire set as agreed upon, over inflating the tires then want $$ to remedy. Sounds like somebody was just "making 8". But, did you tell them the psi to inflate to? It depends on the coach weight....loaded.

Why -
Would you assume that slobbering putty on all exterior surface sealing points (doors, access panels, etc.) is an appropriate sealing method? It seems to work when the factory does it. (just kidding)

Why -
When driving in heavy traffic (and keeping up with it) do some individuals go to extensive, strange and dangerous lenghts to ensure they are NOT behind you? I'm guessing it's because they can't see "around" you.

Why -
Are most generators loud with vibration when they don't have to be? Check the mounts

And the last why -
Why are most RV'ers so pleasant and helpful even when I pull up in my old project RV? Most RVers I've met are pleasant too....but, you'll eventually meet some that aren't.
Hope you get it all fixed up and enjoy it
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
WHY DO PEOPLE NOT POST PICTURES? ... lot"
I will only speak for myself -- technology and/or equipment challenged. After 2 hours of struggling I managed 1 pic. AND... I don't remember how I managed it This getting older is not for sissys!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok Here is how to post a pix on here without spilling your coffee or losing a thumb in the process.
(I will explain it like I talk to a Marine. Small words, typing slow)
One. go to Photo Bucket and start an account Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
there is the link. Follow the instructions as to how to download photos to Photobucket and use them for free..........
Go to Photobucket and pick out a pix you want to post on IRV2.
click on the picture and you will see four ''selections'' under the picture with references as to how to ''use the picture'' in e mail, etc.....
CLICK ON THE SECOND BOX DOWN AND IT WILL SAY ''COPIED''. (what has acutally happened is that your softwear has copied the ''LOCATION'' of the photo (where it is at in Photobucket)
Minimize Photo bucket......
Next..... Click on IRV2 subject where you want to post a picture.
Next.... GO TO ADVANCED SCREEN

next ..... Write your letter, subject, argument or what ever...... such as ...
''Here is Finnie the wonder dog. He is smarter than your dog and he kills gorillas around our camp sight (add other stuff as necessary)
Next...... Go over to the main down arrow on the right and scroal down till you see ''MANAGE ATTACHMENTS''. (THE SECOND ''BOX'' DOWN'' and click on ''Manage Attachments''
You will get a pop up and on the second box down from the top it will say ''upload file from a ''URL'' or something like that.
Next. Paste in the ''copied location of your photo'' and tell it to UPLOAD.
Next. The softwear here on IRV2 has now copied the ''location of your photo on photobucket''.....
Go to ''Preview Post'' to see your letter and picture as it will appear and if you are happy with it say ''Thanks Seajay the sailor man... You are so snart and you explain stuff so well that even a Marine can do it after several tries''.............
Now when someone brings up your article they will bring up your photo also.

Last.... hit ''submit reply'' and your mess will be copied down to the forum on IRV2 so folks can see it and your pix also...
(that will be ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me)

God bless our Vets for the freedoms they have given us......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3414.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	9475  
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #12

seajay ya typed to fast I didn't get it all. I got the part about puttin a photo ina bucket. hehehe
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #13

Enjoyed your comments! Thanks for taking the time.
KIX - love the Rubicon, what a great tow behind (toad? still learning the terminology). Have had my old Liberty in some great shovel and rock road build places.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #14

Thumbs up Learning

My apologies for not really understanding how to use this web site. So, if my responses bounce up in strange and un-intended places, please have patience!! And of course my spelling leaves something to be desired.....

Like the comments on pictures (and the drive through on HOW to post pictures) and will give it a try. Wish I had taken some when first purchased the RV ('97 Gulf Stream, 21') with the cabinet doors falling off, black toilet, gum in the carpet, wall paper peeling (water leaks, wood rot), etc, etc.. It would show some progress. Spending most my time on interior work, other than window and seam resealing, so that gives me the excuse on "less the perfect" exterior view! Slow but sure making progress. Left the mechanical issues to the local shop, getting too old and slow for that.

Wish I had some pictures of our Grand Canyon CG stay with the elk roaming through! Bit of a stampede when one of the RV'ers dog got loose. And a bit scary with one of the RV'ers trying to chase the elk down to feed them strawberries.

Happy travels,

Greg, Karen and the kids (Clementine and Atticus, Golden Ret and Choc Lab).