Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I'm not sure that the ala-carte menu idea is all that bad, if administered with reason. It gives people a way to control what they spend, by paying only for the services they use.

I have 2 dogs and understand that the guy next to me without pets wouldn't want to have pets include in his all in price (cats should be free). I would support the use of metered electricity vs. extra charges for air conditioners. Haven't been to CG yet that said no portable heaters. So I cant say for sure if this is a way of generating additional revenue, protecting their older under powered electric system or as some suggested an insurance issue.

I do like all in pricing as it's simpler when trying to plan your costs.

I do believe that CG websites should include their price structure on the web site. Maybe even a copy of their rules.

I am opposed to CGs that advertise one rate then when you check in begin piling on the extras.

Guess I'll watch what everyone else has to say on the issue.
Why should cats be free? I saw a lady walking her cat on a leash in a park and it took a dump and she did not pick it up. I saw another cat let run loose in a park. I have cats in my neiborhood come over my 6 ft fence and crap in my yard. When I trap them they live at the nearest Walmart. Sorry for the rant, I actualy like cats. It's the owners I have a problem with.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #16

I have no problem with a la carte IF they post it on their website with no surprises when I arrive. I always have dogs with me and check to see what the website says before I make a reservation. If I know I have to pay and still choose to stay (because it is close to something or convenient) that is my choice. It only really bothers me when a price is posted as the set price, then when you arrive, they add the a la carte stuff that was not included online.

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
There is such a site, it is:

RV Park Reviews :: Home

It is excellent, easy to use and I find it to be very accurate. It is one of our favorite tools to use when we are planning a road trip to areas with which we are unfamiliar.

Check it out.

Nick
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
That should be RV Park Reviews :: Home

Nick
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #19

Hey... Thanks for all the great comments and help for me to get my head around up-charges for my dogs. I've taken the time to read everyone's replies to Chaquita ( my border collie) & Sandy (my Golden).

Chaquita is still a bit confused... She doesn't use the bathroom or shower facilities, but is still charged for their up keep and cleaning... She doesn't swim in the pool or relax in the hot-tub, but is still charged for these amenities.. She never plays tennis (doesn't even own a racket) or shuffleboard, but still pays for them.

Sandy is also confused about the "extra demands" she puts on the maintenance staff. Every time we walk throughout the CG she picks-up discarded tissue paper, candy wrappers, stray garbage (loves those stray chicken bones everyone seems to drop).... and all this time she thought she was doing the maintenance staff a favor.

Me.... well I don't have good answers for the girls cuz I still can't get my head around a la carte pricing. Do these CG's want to run a campground with people or are they really more interested in running a Storage Yard and charging CG prices. I am sure if I leave the wife, the kids, the dogs at home and don't use the power, sewer or the water.... Ignore all the amenities and services...then I (& my $40-$50) should be pretty welcome!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I do not like a campgrounds price policy, I just go some where down the road.

Ken
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #21

Jack,
I am with you 100%.
I could say so much more about the dog charges but will just bit my tongue.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #22

Sooo--

If we are going to do "ala carte" , then if I don't use their fancy swimming pool, and their club house, and their WiFi (That somehow doesn't ever reach my rig), etc, etc., just how much does it take off ???

I bet not much.

Then these are probably the same who fuss about the WalMArt parking.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So far we have been lucky. All of our favorite CGs post prices and policies. We only go to pet friendly CGs.

We also frequent kid friendly CGs as long as they don't get too old to spend time with mom and dad.

As long as they are upfront with pricing I have no problem. I will have a problem if I drive all day and they spring something on us at check in.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had a dog (pet) for the last 50 years and a work dog, along with a pet, for the past 8 years. The pet and work dog are both labradors. We love our dogs, but don't take them camping. They are too big, harry, and a lot of work while camping.

So now you know I'm not a dog hater, but I have to agree with many that posted that dogs are a pain when camping, not all, but enough to cause campgrounds to have strict policies. If you read all the posts on this forum, there are always three constants, everyone paid cash for their RV and everything they own, all RV's for sale have been pet free and everyone who owns a pet never lets them bark, annoy others and cleans up after them.

We spend a lot of time in National Parks and they ALL say no pets on trails, yet we see 2-3 people on every hike with their pets on the trail. Some ruin it for all.

Thank you to the people who take care of their pets and respect everyone's right to enjoy camping, but don't be upset by rules that are made for those that don't have a clue.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
If they had done that I would have paid with a credit card and disputed the charges based on deception. Let them fight for the additional money.
If you do that knowing that you will dispute the charge then you're guilty of fraud!
If they campground has a signed charge slip you will NOT get out of it. Been there and done that as a merchant.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
Why should cats be free? I saw a lady walking her cat on a leash in a park and it took a dump and she did not pick it up. I saw another cat let run loose in a park. I have cats in my neiborhood come over my 6 ft fence and crap in my yard. When I trap them they live at the nearest Walmart. Sorry for the rant, I actualy like cats. It's the owners I have a problem with.
We take our seven cats with us. Only one goes out on a leash and so far has never taken a "dump" while out.
Have never been charged extra either since they don't use or abuse the amenities by going swimming etc like the grandkids do.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #27

There are far too many pet owners that do not clean-up after their animals and some that have dogs that make intolerable noise with their incessant yapping.
Perhaps if other pet owner's were to voice their opinions about that to the inconsiderate ones there wouldn't be that up-charge.

I don't like checking in only to find later I'm in a kennel.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
It'd be nice if we could all pick a site to do these reviews.
The two I listed sort of overlap but rvparkreviews is the one I check first. If it's not there then Trip adviser will sometimes have it