Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Please folks,

The discussion seems to be getting a little tense.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being hard of hearing is not all bad. By simply removing my hearing aids a lot of yapping dogs, screaming kids, drunk obnoxious adults, and other objectional noises go away. There are some things in life I just simply don't have hear to be a satisfied well rounded person. However, DW is not hard of hearing and I can hear her and pretty much have to listen. So when she's bothered by yapping dogs, screaming kids, drunk obnoxious adults and other objectional noises . . .

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #45

I seriously doubt any up-charge amount will cause lazy, or inconsiderate pet owners to modify their behavior. Rule enforcement will. This is the same thing happening with legal laws, if the laws are not enforced or seldom enforced, it fosters contempt for the rule of law. Speeding anyone?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Hey, if your pets can clap their paws, they're not part of the problem and can camp next to me any time..
You would not be a performer of any kind would you?

(I rather like it when the six pack someone brings to a campfire is six strings, or better yet, 12)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #47

No, I'm not a performer. But I've been told to do a few things that are not acceptable in polite society.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
No, I'm not a performer. But I've been told to do a few things that are not acceptable in polite society.

Dieselclacker
Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I agree with you...however. Last week we were at a very nice campground where the rules about pets were plainly posted. People were walking their dogs every day, letting them poop ANYPLACE and NOT PICKING UP AFTER THEM. I am a dog owner, and I was really PO'd when a couple of different campers looked the other way while their dogs left "souvenirs" on OUR campsite. Ick. Let's face it...lots of people do NOT follow the CG rules, and someone does have to clean up after them.

Also, the couple next to us had a dog that was not on a leash. GAH.

and that's why dog owners have brought this upon themselves.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #50

I know it's not easy for CG's to keep a minute by minute tab on pet owners so I've gotten to casually informing the CG when I notice messes lying around or if I see pet owners leaving messes lying around, excrementally speaking I mean. Maybe the CG's need moral support, too. The few times that I've left the MH to walk the dog and forgotten the baggie, I've gone back to the MH and gotten the baggie to finish the clean-up. And if the barking in the other MH gets too obnoxious, go bring their dog over to your place - see how they like it!.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #51

We have stayed in CGs that require a fee for dogs, it's not unusual. We also have stayed in CGs that state in the rule that a dog must be on a 6 foot leash, and we have seen many people that use the extending leashes, told 6 foot means 6 foot. The problems is many do not read the rules. I can see why the CGs are charging extra. One CGs in Ohio enforces the rules and people who do not comply have been told to leave. Dispite of the rules being enforced, the CG is always full. I think if you read the CG rules and follow them there should be no problem.....
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #52

I am a park host and enjoy my job tremendously. I am also a pet lover. What I do not understand is why people think someone is responsible for picking up after their pet. If you are to lazy to do so get rid of your pet! Oh yeah, I have no problem in asking you to pick it up if I see you not doing so!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #53

One of the better solutions I have encountered was at the Las Vegas, New Mexico KOA. They had a policy that you received a free night if you reported someone not picking up after their pet.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #54
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
[Moderator Edit]
Why is the CG charging me extra for the additional members of my family. They sleep in my rig... I am required to insure that the obey Park rules (just like the rest of my family)... So "why" the extra charge?
They have to moderate their costs somehow. Extra people in an RV use more power to cook, more water to clean and more sewage to flush. Some campgrounds are on a septic tank system and requires pumping. In addition, if the campground has washroom/shower facilities, extra people add to their costs of supplying facility services.

You can't really have an "all in" cost and be fair to all the people. What about the tent trailer with no AC, no lighting, no sewer or water, no TV's and DVD players or stereos. Would it be right to charge the same site fee as a 40' mobile mansion? Somehow, I think the graduated user fee is the only fair method.
Albeit, charging for dogs is a bit extreme as I don't think they add any cost to the system and we are all being penalized for what they refer to as a cost for clean-up. Typically, I find that almost all dedicated RV'ers are pet responsible. It's the weekend warrior partying generation that seem to be more the culprits for which we all seem to suffer.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post

You can't really have an "all in" cost and be fair to all the people. What about the tent trailer with no AC, no lighting, no sewer or water, no TV's and DVD players or stereos. Would it be right to charge the same site fee as a 40' mobile mansion? Somehow, I think the graduated user fee is the only fair method.
Albeit, charging for dogs is a bit extreme as I don't think they add any cost to the system and we are all being penalized for what they refer to as a cost for clean-up. .
This is actually a great point which I've wondered about often. We have one of those 40 footers referenced and many times have been places where we were drawing 35 amps continuously most of the day while the small weekend rigs on either side of us draw only a fraction of the power but pay the same fees. Our experience is that only about ~10% of CGs charge extra for 50 amp.

As for charging extra for dogs, I really don't mind if the CG has done something special to make it easy and fun for dog owners. Things like dog parks instead of just fenced, stinky dogie toilets, bag stations, etc. But it is a rip off to charge $3/day per dog when the facility is run of the mill. Campland by the Bay in San Diego comes to mind as one of these places. The best dog friendly places we've visited include The Great Outdoors in Titusville, Fla... James Island County Park in Charleston and Four Paws Kingdom in the North Carolina hills. All have spectacular facilities for dogs (bathing and even grooming stations on site... at least in the case of Foru Paws!)and if memory serves not one of them charges extra.

We were full time for several years and traveled with our three small dogs. Having three tends to draw attention and we are not only meticulous about picking up after them... but also pick up ANY poop we see both as a gesture of good will and so that we won't be blamed for it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being a natural born trouble maker, when charged extra for my dog I always ask why. Their answer is of course to pay for pick up. My question is does that mean I don't have to pick up? My observations over the years has been when charged for dogs there is more to pick up. Is this a form of retaliation? Could be only those who don't pick up know for sure.

Love RV Reviews, helps me plan my trips.

Don