Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #15

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Actually the 03's 40 foot 2 slide tag listed for $493000. A single slide coach with smaller engine and transmission and lesser features would not be worth, to me anyway, more.
Yes that MSRP is for the base 320 coach.. then add in the "options" to that price.. They regularly exceeded $550k out the door.
This one has the tag axle(option on 38' & 40', flooring, cabinetry (oak/cherrywood/special orders, bath options/faucet and fixtures/ floor plans/fabric's/slides/floor plans.. The options catalog resembles the old Sears Christmas "Wish Book".
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #16

Wow...so much great information. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

I'm actually VERY excited about even beginning to look for a new (to me, us) rig.

This is probably a whole different thread, but we recently sold our house (Aug 30th) and have been living in the RV, until October 14th, moved into a rental house (they're snow birds, except they come back in Dec), so we're back in the RV as of Dec 2nd.

My wife was very uncomfortable about moving back into the RV for the whole month of Dec and part of January, but when we lived in it between August and October I hadn't put the skirting on and many other things to make it really warm. So we are VERY comfortable living in it, and it's beautiful (21 acres, full hook ups, VERY cheap rent) and can see us living here with no issues all spring, summer & fall. (Assuming the landlord agrees.)

Well, just a few days ago she said, "Yeah...we can't find a decent house that we like and can afford here in Spokane, why don't we just use part of the money we got from the house and buy a better rig (one with slides) and live in that?"

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said! (I'd been hoping she'd come around).

So I'm kind of wanting to strike while the irons hot as the saying goes.

But seriously, I've been thinking about doing something like that for a while and just needed the DW to see that we 'could' comfortably live in a RV, even one with NO SLIDES! (Yes, it's a bit tight).

BTW: Just a side note...these Rexhall's are built VERY well! This is a 23 yo rig and everything works and the build quality is actually pretty durn high! (Commercial over.)

So here's the rest of the questions. I know all about depreciation, and that even if we got a great deal on that 2003 or one like it, if I buy it for X, I'm sure it'll be X minus 10, 20, 30? percent if we were to sell it in 5 or 7, or 10 years? So if some how we talked them down from $139K to let's say...$120K (I know...that's a lot) BUT...nobody's buying RV's right now, right? So, we 'could' possibly come in with a lower bid and then if in 2,3,4,5---10 years decide we're done full timing, sell it, knowing that balance of the money we had left over from the sale of our house will have been put into some sort of money making account and not touched for x amount of years, and then with that plus the sale of the RV we'd buy some kind of S&B house, and in the 'hopes' that the housing market will have gone back down, at least here in Spokane where all the kids are.

OR....perhaps by then they'll have decided they're ALSO done with the cold and agree to move to Florida (our snow bird state) and we'll all buy houses and live happy ever after.

Ahh...sounds good right?

And "IF" we could do that, then Dec 2020 or before, will by our retirement date.

Hold on while a sec while I bask in that thought.........haaaa...yes, very very nice.

So...whata think? Dumb? Possible? To much of a dream?

Obviously, the other option is just keep this old RexAir and do the same thing, only take all of the money from the sale of the house and put it into a money making account.

I just think getting a Foretravel will have a better resale value than most other RV's...more or less...Plus, I don't think either of us want to LIVE in an RV without slides. I know it can be done...we've done it, and LOVE it...but I can certainly see the benefits of having a little more room if we're going to FT live in it.

(Yes, I know..DP's cost more to maintain, and we'd have to keep out X amount of money for those repairs, but there will also be repairs with a gas rig, so I'm just going to call that a wash...generally speaking.)

Okay folks...let it rip! Tell me your thoughts, pro's vs con's, and anything else you experienced full timers or even part timers think I should know. I very much value your opinions.

(Oh..Saddlesore...are you still around? I know you have an opinion on Foretravels. I'm all ears!

Thanks everyone.

Here's where we're camped:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-winter.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	269582  
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yes that MSRP is for the base 320 coach.. then add in the "options" to that price.. They regularly exceeded $550k out the door.
This one has the tag axle(option on 38' & 40', flooring, cabinetry (oak/cherrywood/special orders, bath options/faucet and fixtures/ floor plans/fabric's/slides/floor plans.. The options catalog resembles the old Sears Christmas "Wish Book".
Jeepers..we must have been posting at the same time! I didn't see your post until just now (next morning).

Yes, I'm pretty excited about the possibility of getting something like this...but...always a but..I was going over the spec's and see that the black tank is only 56 gallons...really? My old rig is 65 gallons...Wonder why it's so small?

We're living in our rig now and we can go about 13 to 14 days before we need to dump. Sort of shocked by that revelation.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
TriMoot, how tall are you?

We went down to look at Foretravels (2003 - 2005, if I recall) and I was shocked to find my head bumped into the ceiling. I'm 6' 2" or 6' 3" and only if I took my shoes off was it OK to walk around erect. Umm...well...anyway...when I walked down to the bathroom I still had to duck under the pocket door tracks. No bueno.

At some point in time they raised the ceilings, but I can't remember when.

Just in case that's a factor for you...

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Jeepers..we must have been posting at the same time! I didn't see your post until just now (next morning).

Yes, I'm pretty excited about the possibility of getting something like this...but...always a but..I was going over the spec's and see that the black tank is only 56 gallons...really? My old rig is 65 gallons...Wonder why it's so small?

We're living in our rig now and we can go about 13 to 14 days before we need to dump. Sort of shocked by that revelation.
The black tank is seldom ever the determining factor. My black tank is only 40 gallons, and the gray tank fills long before the black ever does. Usually the size of the gray tank is the limiting factor. I would rather have a much larger gray tank, than a black one. Perhaps if your shower drains into your black tank, that might sway the decision. Something to look into to.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #20

Agree with Winniman, when my gray tank is full, [112 gallons] I only have about 20 gallons in my black tank. Just measured ceiling height on my coach, pocket door 73 inches, under air conditioner 74 inches. But overall coach height to top of ac is only about 12 ft, handy in some parks with low hanging branches.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
TriMoot, how tall are you?

We went down to look at Foretravels (2003 - 2005, if I recall) and I was shocked to find my head bumped into the ceiling. I'm 6' 2" or 6' 3" and only if I took my shoes off was it OK to walk around erect. Umm...well...anyway...when I walked down to the bathroom I still had to duck under the pocket door tracks. No bueno.

At some point in time they raised the ceilings, but I can't remember when.

Just in case that's a factor for you...

Steve
No problem there, 5'10" so I'm good. Thanks for the heads up tho.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #22

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Agree with Winniman, when my gray tank is full, [112 gallons] I only have about 20 gallons in my black tank. Just measured ceiling height on my coach, pocket door 73 inches, under air conditioner 74 inches. But overall coach height to top of ac is only about 12 ft, handy in some parks with low hanging branches.
Same here, and most of the time I can run the fresh tank out of water and still have 20% to 30% capacity remaining in the black & gray tanks...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well.....if I win a big enough lottery, a Foretravel or Newell would be on order.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There would be no question in my mind which of these two I would buy!
The 03 would be IT! Much more coach for your money, period! Good luck!

Rail!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
There would be no question in my mind which of these two I would buy!
The 03 would be IT! Much more coach for your money, period! Good luck!

Rail!
I'm with you GuardRail! I too think the 2003 is the rig to buy. In fact there is one in Wyoming that I'm particularly in love with...it's TEAL! LOL! I've always loved teal colored trucks and my kids have always given me a hard time about it, but yeah..that one really spoke to me.

Trying to get a hold of the owner but so far haven't heard back from him/her.

Tags
travel