RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #1

Why aren't we told about OCCC

OCCC is a new law/reg but at least in my experience the only place I heard about it was on the forum. When I did my PDI the tech never heard of it in fact he had to google it, same with the salespeople. At the Tiffin Rally last month I couldn't fine a salesperson who knew about it. The only mention of it on a motorhome is a barely legible yellow sticker. If it's that important why isn't there an effort to educate people who purchase MH's?

I know there is more equipment involved in determining the OCCC but (e.g.) my tires are rated at 15,000# and the listed GVWR is 11,030 kind of a big difference.

dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #2

OCCC ?? Overall Cargo Carrying Capacity ?

Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OCCC ?? Overall Cargo Carrying Capacity ?
"Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity" I wasn't aware of it being a law but I saw it mentioned and explained in some 2018 Winnebago sales literature last year. IIRC,It is the curb weight including a 1/2 tank fuel subtracted from the GVWR
Old 07-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

So exceeding the OCCC you'd also exceed the vehicle GVWR , and there have been laws in many areas against that, for years .

To the OP, asking an RV sales person anything about weights will get you a blank stare . They were selling running shoes at Big 5 last week .
Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #5

Snake oil salesman wouldn’t know a snake if it bit him....
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #6

I had to look up this “new” rule. If I understand it correctly, it took effect in 2008; not too new:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rying-capacity

I don’t believe that any salesman or tech would not know what the CCC or OCCC for drivable RV’s is. They may not want to talk about it with a buyer or owner, but is a well-documented limitation of every RV for many years. In my Winnebago, there is a yellow tag on the door and on the wall beside the driver’s seat. In my two former trailers the yellow tag was on the door jamb. The tag cannot be any more legible unless the reader doesn’t read or doesn’t speak English. It says very clearly what the total weight of cargo can be and how much weight a full water tank weighs.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

The reason they don't want to talk about it is that the vast majority of motorhomes are built on the lightest (cheapest) chassis they can get away with, even if that means you can't fill up all those big cargo bays that are so willing to point out with anything heavier than fiberfill pillows.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It came out a few years back because of some deceptive practices regarding what the coach could carry. Part of the rule required the yellow sticker be placed on the inside of the door of the RV. They've been there for years and are pretty obvious!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:34 AM   #9

GVWR it's been on them for year . I'm pretty sure if you were involved in accident they be all over that ..
And now that everyone thinks they need a 25,000 lb coach its time for getting a CDL .. I like how coach builders keep it at 23,000 lbs. I see more 25,000 lb coaches rolling down the freeway then ever before. I always think and Wonder how old his tires are . Because they could really take out alot rigs if they had issues. It's all bigger deal then people think.
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
As for poor tire condition. Just walk thru an OTR truck park and check out the semi trailer treads. Those "gators" you see littering the highways aren't from RV's.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
GVWR it's been on them for year . I'm pretty sure if you were involved in accident they be all over that ..
And now that everyone thinks they need a 25,000 lb coach its time for getting a CDL .. I like how coach builders keep it at 23,000 lbs. I see more 25,000 lb coaches rolling down the freeway then ever before. I always think and Wonder how old his tires are . Because they could really take out alot rigs if they had issues. It's all bigger deal then people think.
26,000 is the limit for a Class B license. Has nothing to do with a CDL.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The law is only that the OCCC has to be posted on a placard in a standard format. Just as dozens of other things are required to be made available to consumers, e.g. GVWR, GAWR, calories per serving, country of origin, etc. What consumers do or don't do with the information is up to the individual.

Yes, consumer education is a good thing, at least for the consumer. Not always for the manufacturer, but usually so in the longer term. The RVIA, however, has a dismal record in educating their buyers. In fact, they pretty much just produce advertising that paints an idealistic and misleading picture of what RVing is like. That yields buyers with totally unrealistic expectations and unprepared to use their new toys safely or maintain them properly.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
For experienced RV owners (in other words we've bought one or more already) we know vastly more about any RV we look at than any salesman at a dealership would know.

I've never seen any numbers on this but would bet most RV salesmen don't RV. I know a lot of car dealers would not hire a car salesman if they are car nuts personally. Too much knowledge can really hinder a salesman whose only job is to close sales.

Here's a novel idea... BUYER BEWARE (and BE AWARE).
Old 07-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
For experienced RV owners (in other words we've bought one or more already) we know vastly more about any RV we look at than any salesman at a dealership would know.

I've never seen any numbers on this but would bet most RV salesmen don't RV. I know a lot of car dealers would not hire a car salesman if they are car nuts personally. Too much knowledge can really hinder a salesman whose only job is to close sales.

Here's a novel idea... BUYER BEWARE (and BE AWARE).
X2.
If the first question a prospective buyer asked the salesperson was " What kind of RV do you own ?" then walked away from those that answered that they don't RV; maybe , just maybe ; dealers would hire RVers to sell RVs .