Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #15

If you have a hearing loss, you'll want the radio turned up louder than most folks. This probably wouldn't go over well with your neighbors. Headphones would be ideal.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:33 AM   #16

Marine stuff is also water resistant, for your outside ones.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
I also have a hearing loss so I like the sound turned up more than normal. The DW kept complaining so I got a good set of wireless head phones. Another advantage of the wireless head phones is I can listen while outside/other room as long as I don't go too far from the base unit.

Jon
Also, you don't here the DW!(A plus)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
It ain't necessarily so.
The OP has a TRAVEL trailer. Travel trailers are made to be used without being connected to anything. Each system that depends on an outside connection is one less that can be used while traveling.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #19

The A/C requires a connection so I would have to disagree with the "made to operate without connection" argument. You do have options but if you go with a high end 120 or 12 volt system with mega woofer and multiple speakers and giga watt amps, don't park next to me.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The OP has a TRAVEL trailer. Travel trailers are made to be used without being connected to anything. Each system that depends on an outside connection is one less that can be used while traveling.
I too own a travel trailer and I doubt I'll stay anywhere I'm not hooked up to shore power. That they can be used without shore power doesn't mean they're supposed to be used without it.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Also, you don't here the DW!(A plus)
I didn't mention that plus in case the DW happened to read this.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #22

Well, OP here... and so far, the big 5th wheels that park next to me have their home theater systems WAY louder than my little TV/radio system. I have more respect for others than to play anything that my wife can hear outside....Unless we are out somewhere alone.

I don't want to hear your crap any more than you want to hear mine.

Goes for barking dogs, too...ESPECIALLY!!!

Had a bad experience with dogs on our last trip...almost sent us home early!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #23

Most if not all travel trailers do not have generators so in that respect they are not made to operate for long with out shore power. Also, most will have only one deep cycle battery to get by on, which based on a couple of buddies with TT will get them 3-4 days of cautious use. Sometimes I am amazed reading this and other forums with folks get into the RV lifestyle but can't seem to leave the sticks and bricks behind them. Now having a class A myself would probably put me into that category too, however I am quite satisfied with the equipment that came with my rig as everything I'll need "which led me to the purchase of my currant rig in the first place".
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #24

FWIW the sound frequency response is probably there in the auto radio. It costs extra to take it out. The problems are power and speakers. Power is limited by the 12 V power supply unless an extra DC to DC converter or transformer is added. That is how the high power auto amplifiers or the home audio amplifiers do it. It's easier just to add an auto type amplifier for when you have power available to run it.

Speakers require enclosures to support them or they will still sound like crap. Replacing the speakers in a unit with "high quality drivers" still gets you poor sound as the drivers need a cabinet or other enclosure. Assuming you have the usual hole in a bulkhead with no supporting enclosure type installation nothing will sound good. OTOH put those "cheap" drivers in a matched cabinet and they are not bad.

Then there is the ruggedness factor. Home audio equipment is designed to be run in a vibration free, relatively narrow temperature range, low humidity, environment. Auto radio equipment can handle the vibration, dampness and temperature swings normal in a camper of any kind including a cabin in the woods.

Things to consider. HTH before one dumps a lot of money.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

Speakers require enclosures to support them or they will still sound like crap. Replacing the speakers in a unit with "high quality drivers" still gets you poor sound as the drivers need a cabinet or other enclosure. Assuming you have the usual hole in a bulkhead with no supporting enclosure type installation nothing will sound good.
Not necessarily, often all that is necessary is the front and rear waves be isolated. Note that the Altec 755 was originally intended as a high quality ceiling speaker and audiophiles get very pleasing results with it in various enclosures including infinite baffles and even as dipoles in open baffles.

I submit that many high quality full range drivers installed to replace existing speakers in RVs will be acting into what are in effect infinite baffles and if not optimally enclosed for deepest bass will have the infinite baffle's virtues of a controlled roll off with no boom or bumps in the response. And with the improved midrange and highs of such a speaker, and if no gain in the bass no loss either, you're going to have better sound.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #26

Better is a relative term. If you look the internet is full of people putting 755's into enclosures to get better sound. That is with a speaker that was designed for ceiling mounting mono with poor bass or the drop ceiling would have been shaking. If you want bass you need the enclosure. Better yet all you need for bass is one enclosure with a decent low end and a high rolloff. Low frequencies are non directional in anything the size of an RV. Hit a Bose demo if you need to see it live.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Home surround stereo(on 2nd one now) with Bose front(Double Cube), center, rear speakers(Single cube) and a 8" powered woofer for over 13 years in my MH.

It goes good with DirecTV HD Genie with my 46" LED 3D Smart TV.
Sound for my Blue Ray, VCR and cassette also go through it.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio