Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Why can't I fill black tank with tank rinse on the hose?

I am trying to fill up my black tank with fresh clean water, and run it out, but when I put the hose on outside, I can see the tank fill up to 2/3 pretty quickly, then it seems to stop filling.

Is there a safety switch in there to prevent it from accidentally overflowing while on the hose?

When looking down into the toilet, I can see lots of motion and water sloshing, then it sorta just calms down when it hits 2/3 full.

If there is a safety valve, that is a pretty cool deal, and I am glad to know it is on there.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The vent is a pipe out the top of the RV! It sounds like that is stopped up so air is being trapped in the top of the tank preventing it from filling with liquid!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The vent is a pipe out the top of the RV! It sounds like that is stopped up so air is being trapped in the top of the tank preventing it from filling with liquid!
Not if you can look into the tank from the toilet.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

I have the fan on and the bathroom vent open, while looking down into the toilet.

Also, now that I have found a major leak under my bathroom sink and fixed it, I noticed that there is some valve up under the sink in-line with that black-tank cleanout hose, and it is slowly dripping, too. What is that, and why is it dripping?

Luckily, not dripping as bad as the other leak I fixed. But still, I flushed the tank twice and this thing dripped 5 or 6 big drops under the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160604_172425.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	129143  
Old 06-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #5

I making a few guesses here. When you say "but when I put the hose on outside, I can see the tank fill up to 2/3 pretty quickly, then it seems to stop filling. " your are talking about the tank flush? If so, your tank could be like mine. There is a wide upper tank area, then the tank steps down, then it steps down again where the outlet valve is located. On mine, if I dump a gallon of water in it, the 1/4 full lights come on!, Then the 1/2 light comes on after a short while, but at that point it takes a long time to fill the tank up all the way. I've learned to live with it,

On your second question, if that black plastic thingy is actually on the flush water line, then it could be a one way valve to keep black tank water from entering the fresh water system.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

Picture is of the black tank flush system 'anti-siphon vacuum breaker' device that stops water from backflowing from an OVERFILLED black waste tank into the water supply.

They stop any siphoning action by opening to atmosphere when water supply pressure is shut off........

BUT they can/do fail and leak water out of 'opening' inside the RV
Luckily yours is just dripping.
Others have found it due to flooding

And WHY do you need to FILL your black tank????
That can over-pressurize tank when vent line goes under water
Over-pressurizing can cause tank to sag....or even fail at seams/corners
Overfilling can cause water to come up out of toilet
Overfilling can cause water to go up the full length of vent line and spew poop water on/off of roof

Usually there is a 'label/sticker' that warns about using flush system with drain valve OPEN because there is NOTHING to prevent over filling.......water will continue to go in until water supply is secured.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

Wow! You're sure getting off to a bad start of your trip with the leaks, etc.

If you'd just get out of town I'm sure things will be much better for you.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! You're sure getting off to a bad start of your trip with the leaks, etc.

If you'd just get out of town I'm sure things will be much better for you.
What happened was we kept the trailer under a hay shed for the past year, so it never got exposed to any severe weather. Except for a week at Thanksgiving, a week at Christmas, and two weeks in the summer, where we DID experience severe weather, but no leaks.

Now that it has been in the weather, and trust me, if you have been watching the news, it has been HORRIBLE down here these past couple of weeks. Anyway, finding a couple of minor leaks, fixing them before we hit the road.

I agree, though...when we get away from the coast and into moderate weather areas, we will not have any more leak issues.

As for the tank, I moved the trailer today, and it has had an empty tank for over a month, and all of a sudden it says 3/4 full when I look down and can see the bottom. So I figured, since there is no #1 or #2 in the tank, this is a good time to wash it out again, one last time before it is full of 1 and 2. So I tried to fill it up and flush it out while I had the chance.

As mentioned above, I wonder if our tank is also like yours, where it fills up quickly to 1/2 or 2/3, then takes a BUNCH more to fill it up.

Anyway, I dumped some dish soap down there, filled it as much as I could, drained it, and nothing coming out but soapy water, and gauge now reads EMPTY, which is what I wanted.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #9

We had 3" in the rain gauge yesterday, and dumped it. Then another 4" in it today!!!

That major leak at the shore power socket stayed dry all day. So that major leak is fixed.

The few drops coming from this valve would dry up in an hour, especially when we get away from the humid coastal area. But still, would like to have NO leaks in the end.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your tank is stepped and that is why it fills up fast at first. When you look down the toilet you see turbulence while it is filling at first. When the water level covers up the flush sprayer, you see less turbulence but it is still filling. DO NOT over fill your tank. Do not fill your tank using the tank rinse. If you want to clean it, put a few gallons of water in with some dish soap and let it slosh around while driving. If you want a clean tank, use plenty of water while flushing and dont dump the tank until it is 3/4 full. After dumping, use your tank rinse for 5 minutes with the dump valve open and you will have a clean tank. As long as your sensors are working, your tank is clean enough. I have seen folks fill their tank using the rinse and they walk away and forget it and a few minutes later it is spraying out the roof vent or worse, flooding the inside of their coach with black tank contents.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #11

Why can't I fill black tank with tank rinse on the hose?

I don't know what is going on with your but the leak sounds similar to what I experienced. We had a leak under our bathroom sink and we discovered it only happened when we were flushing the tank. It is a check valve and we removed it and saw it was cracked. I forget the name of the company but it was on the part. I googled the company and they were super. They sent me a new valve at no cost. We found out the cause of the problem. We do an excellent job of winterizing but we never thought to put some antifreeze in the black flush. So it ended up cracking the valve. Easy to replace.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Warren View Post
I don't know what is going on with your but the leak sounds similar to what I experienced. We had a leak under our bathroom sink and we discovered it only happened when we were flushing the tank. It is a check valve and we removed it and saw it was cracked. I forget the name of the company but it was on the part. I googled the company and they were super. They sent me a new valve at no cost. We found out the cause of the problem. We do an excellent job of winterizing but we never thought to put some antifreeze in the black flush. So it ended up cracking the valve. Easy to replace.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
I have never winterized that black tank flush line, just never thought about it! I will start doing it now that you mentioned it. Thanks
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

I will get up under there and check out that valve. Thanks for the heads-up
Old 06-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I will get up under there and check out that valve. Thanks for the heads-up
If you don't see water on the floor, you are probably good to go. BTW I like your avatar picture. I'm a huge boxer fan.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank