Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I've always camped with the boyscout growing up. I loved those military style tents. Then I got out of scouts when I turned 16 to start working. When I graduated high school I asked the fiance if she wanted to try a camping trip. I had been out of the camping world for a few years now. (not counting the few times parents took us to Outdoor World). Well we booked a week @ Cherrystone Camp Ground first week in Aug. We took a brand new tent and my 12' boat. I got the electric and water site and I took a house fan. Well we only stayed 3 1/2 days. 98+ degrees heat was our cue. While I was down there I saw all those pop-up with slide outs. I was intruded. When we went home I started looking @ the pop-ups. I still lived @ home @ the time so my pop went with me and it became a father and son adventure to find me a mobile home so to speak. I was surprised @ the amenities they came with and the different options to chose from. But I also soon realized that a pop-up as much as I really wanted one was not the way to go. For the price of what I wanted the Jayco A17 was the route for me. The front and rear folded down to expose the sleeping area and I still had all the amenities the pop-up had but bigger grey and black tanks and the option to not drop the bed area if I was sleeping over for a night. I paid 10,000 for that unit vs 15,000 for a pop-up for the same options. The unit was ready and we went camping @ least three times a month from Fla. up to Northwestern Pa. I had that unit for two years and I was faced with the problem of keeping it and staying with my parents, paying it off or selling it. I was ready to move on to a new chapter in my life so the camper was sold. Can't say I never miss it. Even to this day some 10 years later. Well I bought the house and the fiance and I split two years later. I was out of the scene again until about six years ago. I was into classic cars, trucks, vans etc. My wife has really not had anything. But here is this story. When we were dating only a month she asked me to go camping with her and her family. I had been out of the scene about 5 years @ the time and tent camping was about 10 years. Well I survived the weekend but we got to talking and I told the wife (girlfriend @ the time) my back could not handle too many outings on the ground. I can't do air mattress and cots were also just as hard. So I started looking for a pop-up for her. I sold one of my classics and bought her our first pop-up. We used it 6 times that year but the fabric was in bad shape. Sold that one the following year for what I paid for it then bought her another one. We have had that one for about 4 years now. Bought it from a nice family that kept it in the garage and it was in like new condition. Now the only thing is this unit as like the last one doesn't have A/C. I know this is weird as a firefighter I don't like heat. So we only use the pop-up early spring and fall until the sites close for the year. So the pop-up sits most of the time. My pop had a beach place and we used that quite a bit until he sold it last summer. I don't like going away for even a weekend leaving our pups home. We have a yellow lap, Jack Russel and a pug. I told the wife five years ago I want a motor home. Now not just any motor home. It has to be old. lol Anyhow I found a 73 Winnie Class A on Ebay and paid 3,000 for it then. Well it has sat most of the time we have had it. First the starter went then the fuel tank then the brakes. Since my pop had sold his place down the beach it has re-fueled my interest in the motor home and it is now getting a new radiator installed. The wife hates the old interior and she is still not to thrilled about the motor home. It still needs quite a bit of work but she will not instill A/C for me on her pop-up so I told her with this we have A/C, food, restroom on board and we can take the pups. The girls (our babies girls 6 and 5) can sleep while we ride. The motor home has so many benefits to us. I have an 84 Cj and she just got her own 96 Xj and we like to wheel them. The club we belong too is an hour away and then like to camp in the woods. Motor homes have access to the camp spots. It's nice to have a place to shower after a muddy day and not have to use the bucket in a wooding shed to release ones self. My pop always called it a hotel on wheels and it isn't camping. I disagree...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Everything in Alaska is 4 to 8 hours apart, there are no day trips here
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #31

Because my idea of fun camping isnt my four kids lips turning blue and being awake all night.....And we love family projects!
shovelryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I should mention the unexpected benefit is all the uninterrupted time I get with my wife. You can't buy that kind of satisfaction.

I work on the North Slope of Ak so I am away for 3 weeks at work then get 2 weeks off, perfect work schedule to RV a lot and still maintain an income.

What better way to make for 3 weeks away than 2 weeks cooped up in a big box on wheels.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote