Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
IC2

Why did they use halogen bulbs

I just found out the painful way that there is a halogen fixture over the stove among the LED fixtures in our 5er. I was able to raise a welt on my thumb by just touching the lens, not even the bulb - owwww. My thoughts are that in a 3" fixture (made in China but, ahem, CE/UL and CSA 'approved') a 20 watt G-4 bulb would be a fire hazard in an enclosed device such as this one. I have a package of 5 LEDs coming via Amazon that will replace this potential problem along with a couple more suspects in open fixtures which at least have some cooling air flowing past.

Dang, I know RV manufacturers try to cheap out in places but at a cost in safety is just plain wrong.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #2

Although I feel your pain figuratively, It does seem the bulb over the stove is the very last remaining incandescent in our coach also. I've searched high and low but have yet to find a viable alternative to the 115V halogen under the convection/micro.
With it requiring shore power or generator to operate I guess it will keep slipping to the bottom of the todo list.

Be safe.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Although I feel your pain figuratively, It does seem the bulb over the stove is the very last remaining incandescent in our coach also. I've searched high and low but have yet to find a viable alternative to the 115V halogen under the convection/micro.
With it requiring shore power or generator to operate I guess it will keep slipping to the bottom of the todo list.

Be safe.
Yep, the built in Ventline microwave bulb is an incandescent 120VAC but the one directly over everything was a 12VDC halogen. I pulled that fire hazard out and the G4 LED will replace it before the next time out. I wont bother with the one built into the nuker as that gadget is 120VAC anyhow though may add a supplemental 12VDC just for that one time every 3 years we might boondock
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same issue. The thing I hate most about that bulb is the heat it produces. I've searched high and low for an LED replacement but have been unsuccessful.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

They put two of those little 12V heat makers in a fixture over our dinette table. Way to bright, so we removed one bulb. Thought about replacing with a LED bulb, but the LEDs also tend to be very bright. Any idea on some type of replacement bulb that would give a more subdued, softer light for dining?
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
They put two of those little 12V heat makers in a fixture over our dinette table. Way to bright, so we removed one bulb. Thought about replacing with a LED bulb, but the LEDs also tend to be very bright. Any idea on some type of replacement bulb that would give a more subdued, softer light for dining?

They make different wattage led's. The LED replacements I installed were not as bright as the halogens. Also made sure to get a warm color temp.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I have the same issue. The thing I hate most about that bulb is the heat it produces. I've searched high and low for an LED replacement but have been unsuccessful.
If it's a two pin bulb about a half inch long, good chance that it's a G4. If so, then there are many different versions to replace it with from 5 watt to at least 45 watt equivalent. I usually buy very good quality LEDs from Superbright LEDs but am getting my replacements from AMAZON this time for 2 day Prime delivery vs a week.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...ype,G4,1,3377:

If it's another style, you still should be able to match at SuperBright with some research on their website(or even AMAZON). Oh, and I suggest the 360 degree rather then a partial degree or end light emitting version
Old 08-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IC2, thanks for the info. My range light is a G8. I looked about two years ago for a suitable 110V replacement, but the majority of everything out there was 12V. If I recall correctly, I think I did find a 110V light, but it was a disk and it wouldn’t fit in my oven’s light receptacle. I just checked Amazon and there are many providers now with 110V LED G8's in a tube design, so I’m going to give it a try. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE

Thanks to IC2's reply, I was finally able to replace my microwave’s super hot G8 halogen cooktop light with an LED. It was a trial and error process though. Most bulbs out there simply aren’t bright enough. I found a decent one on Amazon. It isn’t near as bright as the halogen it replaced, but it was brighter than the others that I tried. Here is a link to the Amazon listing in case anyone is interested: Kindeep G8 LED