Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why does it matter what price they put or call for price? Your still going to negotiate either way. Lets face it asking price means nothing. Keep in mind some dealers put their absolute rock bottom online and that price is the lowest they go. You won't know until you contact them. By not calling you might miss the deal of a lifetime. Most dealers that don't respond to online requests are usually those that are not tech savvy or naively don't believe in the potential of internet sales and feel that a dedicated internet department or person is an unnecessary expense. Happens more in the rv and boat industry with some of the mom and pop shops. They put up a web site because but are not fully committed or educated as to its great potential.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
..... Your still going to negotiate either way. Lets face it asking price means nothing......

I believe in fixed-price retailing. [I do NOT mean any type of government mandated pricing. I mean only a system where the price marked is the price you pay .] I don't negotiate unless there can be no other option, such as when you buy real estate. Negotiated retailing works to the detriment of the economy as a whole, and fosters dishonesty and corruption in the marketing process. Fixed-price retailing allows competitive market forces to work as they should, and allows both businesses and consumers to plan and budget with confidence.

And mojo, you are wrong. Asking price means a great deal, no matter which system you use.

In a fixed price system, when a merchant marks a price he is saying "This is what I must sell for or my shop cannot continue." If one seller has a higher price than another it means that he either has higher costs or a higher markup, and the buyer is free to buy or go elsewhere.

In a system reliant on negotiation, the buyer has no basis upon which to judge the merchant's marked price. The opening position of the seller must be taken as "If you are an unwary or unsuspecting buyer I'm going to screw you to the wall."

If you doubt for a moment the long term effects of a retail system devoid of trust, honor, and stability, go live and work for some years in the mid-east, as I have.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I don't even worry about whether or not they'll answer. I don't do business with any outfit that refuses to put a price on their website or ad. And that applies to everything, from online parts to real estate.

"Call for Price". Yuh. Right. Might happen.
I"ve always felt the same way. When I see an ad for anything, which doesn't include a price, I assume (rightly or wrongly ) that it is priced too high. Other ads I never respond to, are those that tell you how much you'll save, but they don't include a price.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #18

Why do dealers...

No price from the dealer or private seller is needed.
I go see the rig(s), and if I am interested will begin the buying process. The ask price is just a beginning. If they come down to the level that my online research has given me, then we start to haggle. Sales people call me "difficult", but I always get my price, or I walk.
Hey, after all, it is MY money at the heart of the discussion!
Happy trails.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #19

North Trail, Fort Myers don't post prices... I wish they at least post MSRP.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #20

There are many tools available.
NADA and PPL do the job pretty well.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-pricing-help.htm

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Dont fret over pricing. Get "armed" for battle!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Robbing from Peter to pay Paul - Why do dealers do it?

Recent RV purchase has at a minimum the following items missing, damaged or not OEM item due - I Suspect - to dealer. Convection microwave R/R, residential frig R/R, passenger seat R/R, DVD remote, one bottle of factory touch-up paint missing, bedroom TV removed and replaced with off brand, unknown item/items from main slide. And most important factory inventory list with serial numbers missing.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
When i was looking for T/T i called around and ask questions, got some answers got some quotes ect. Bought one yet never got a return call from other 5 dealers asking if i was still looking. Like you said it is if they don't care. Amazing
Old 10-12-2014, 03:30 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I believe in fixed-price retailing. [I do NOT mean any type of government mandated pricing. I mean only a system where the price marked is the price you pay .] I don't negotiate unless there can be no other option, such as when you buy real estate. Negotiated retailing works to the detriment of the economy as a whole, and fosters dishonesty and corruption in the marketing process. Fixed-price retailing allows competitive market forces to work as they should, and allows both businesses and consumers to plan and budget with confidence.

And mojo, you are wrong. Asking price means a great deal, no matter which system you use.

In a fixed price system, when a merchant marks a price he is saying "This is what I must sell for or my shop cannot continue." If one seller has a higher price than another it means that he either has higher costs or a higher markup, and the buyer is free to buy or go elsewhere.

In a system reliant on negotiation, the buyer has no basis upon which to judge the merchant's marked price. The opening position of the seller must be taken as "If you are an unwary or unsuspecting buyer I'm going to screw you to the wall."

If you doubt for a moment the long term effects of a retail system devoid of trust, honor, and stability, go live and work for some years in the mid-east, as I have.

I would have to respectfully disagree. Everything is negotiable especially higher priced items that have high carrying costs. Markets change from day to day, inventories change, interest rates change. One day it's a sellers market, the nest it's a buyers market. Nothing wrong with negotiating and profit is not a four letter word. We don't live in the Middle East and just because a seller whether it be an rv, furniture or jewelry negotiates doesn't mean they're not honest or trustworthy. It's called a free market. I would assume the better one is at negotiating the better he or she likes the game. I prefer my skills get me a better price than the next guy. Granted someone has to pay up, I just prefer it not be me.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #24

Fortunately we have the choice to purchase from whom we want. If we don't feel comfortable with how a dealer does business we can take our business elsewhere. If we don't like how we are treated by a salesman we can ask for another.

And yes, I stopped by a rv dealer on the north end of Ocala & the salesman was plainly rude. Absolutely will not purchase from that place.

LazyDays in Tampa I will admit they atleast responded to an email. Emailed what I wanted & was willing to pay. Response was not going to find what I want at the price I am willing to pay. Yet on rvtrader I've flagged atleast a dozen in Florida that meet our criteria & price range.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I'm in total agreement with you, our income in our family is derived from $ 5,000,000 of annual retail sales, (-) cost (-) labor (-) a whole list of other factors. Our posted price nets us our net income.

We call it as we see it, and like you expect to see will work our posted retail to be FAIR and BALANCED

Jerry and Donna
1997 FW Bounder 35U
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #26

How about just posting the MSRP on new rigs!

We are in the market for a new MH, so I do a lot of research online. I hate it when dealers don't even post the MSRP. I love it when others post the MSRP sheet (sticker) so the I can see how much the options actually retail for. Once I can see the MSRP for everything, I can take it from there and make an informed decision.

JFXG: I believe in fixed-price retailing. I don't negotiate unless there can be no other option, such as when you buy real estate. Negotiated retailing works to the detriment of the economy as a whole, and fosters dishonesty and corruption in the marketing process. Fixed-price retailing allows competitive market forces to work as they should, and allows both businesses and consumers to plan and budget with confidence.

Seems to me that negotiating has worked fine in the USA for the past 238 years this country has been in business and not so well in the former Soviet Union since they had price-fixing there. Not trying to be rude, but I must ask. Since you don't negotiate, did you pay MSRP or the advertised sale price for your Dutch Star?

It is price-fixing that allows dishonesty and corruption, not negotiating. You are assuming that dealers don't lie. We are in a free market system for the most part and the more information the consumers have, the more honest dealers have to be.

The coach I will be purchasing in the near future will be our home after the S&B is sold. Since it retails for around $340,000, I will also be negotiating in the best interest of my family.

Mojoracing: I would have to respectfully disagree. Everything is negotiable especially higher priced items that have high carrying costs. Markets change from day to day, inventories change, interest rates change. One day it's a sellers’ market, the nest it's a buyers’ market. Nothing wrong with negotiating and profit is not a four letter word. I prefer my skills get me a better price than the next guy. Granted someone has to pay up, I just prefer it not be me.

Amen!

CampDaven: Sales people call me "difficult", but I always get my price, or I walk. Hey, after all, it is MY money at the heart of the discussion!

Auto dealers call me a "grinder" and I suspect that they curse me after I get my best deal. Once, one fool even took out pictures of his family during negotiations in an attempt to get me to stop. But, I also had pictures of my family with me, so it didn't work.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #27

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
We are in the market for a new MH, so I do a lot of research online. I hate it when dealers don't even post the MSRP. I love it when others post the MSRP sheet (sticker) so the I can see how much the options actually retail for. Once I can see the MSRP for everything, I can take it from there and make an informed decision.

JFXG: I believe in fixed-price retailing. I don't negotiate unless there can be no other option, such as when you buy real estate. Negotiated retailing works to the detriment of the economy as a whole, and fosters dishonesty and corruption in the marketing process. Fixed-price retailing allows competitive market forces to work as they should, and allows both businesses and consumers to plan and budget with confidence.

Seems to me that negotiating has worked fine in the USA for the past 238 years this country has been in business and not so well in the former Soviet Union since they had price-fixing there. Not trying to be rude, but I must ask. Since you don't negotiate, did you pay MSRP or the advertised sale price for your Dutch Star?

It is price-fixing that allows dishonesty and corruption, not negotiating. You are assuming that dealers don't lie. We are in a free market system for the most part and the more information the consumers have, the more honest dealers have to be.

The coach I will be purchasing in the near future will be our home after the S&B is sold. Since it retails for around $340,000, I will also be negotiating in the best interest of my family.

Mojoracing: I would have to respectfully disagree. Everything is negotiable especially higher priced items that have high carrying costs. Markets change from day to day, inventories change, interest rates change. One day it's a sellers’ market, the nest it's a buyers’ market. Nothing wrong with negotiating and profit is not a four letter word. I prefer my skills get me a better price than the next guy. Granted someone has to pay up, I just prefer it not be me.

Amen!

CampDaven: Sales people call me "difficult", but I always get my price, or I walk. Hey, after all, it is MY money at the heart of the discussion!

Auto dealers call me a "grinder" and I suspect that they curse me after I get my best deal. Once, one fool even took out pictures of his family during negotiations in an attempt to get me to stop. But, I also had pictures of my family with me, so it didn't work.
x2 ... Great post!
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #28

Why do dealers...

Quote:
I believe in fixed-price retailing. [I do NOT mean any type of government mandated pricing. I mean only a system where the price marked is the price you pay .] I don't negotiate unless there can be no other option, such as when you buy real estate.

You already have fixed pricing, just pay the MSRP for your coach or offer the asking price when you buy real estate, they aren't going to say no and you can enjoy your fixed price. As for the rest of us . . . . . .
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer