Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why do dealers...

...advertise a unit on the Internet, tell you to contact them for more information, have a contact form on their site, then not bother to answer your request?
I've been looking at several dealers, sent off some requests and only gotten ONE to answer and that was a "call me and we can discuss it". Some I've used their form three times on the same unit and not once gotten a response.
Why not just say: "We aren't really interested in giving out information so don't bother"?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One of my pet peeves are companies that have a Contact Us button, but never respond back. I try not to do business with them.

You would think an RV dealership, with a chance to make a big sale, would respond. Before we bought our new coach, I looked high and low for an 09 Dynasty Bishop IV with a 500 ISM. Demartini in Grass Valley, California had one, but was sold when I contacted them. For over two years now, the coach is still on their website. When you do a search it comes up, but says sold. They need to remove it from their website.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not limited to RV dealers, I find many businesses that create a web response option that is not monitored. Annoying, yes.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
One of my pet peeves are companies that have a Contact Us button, but never respond back. I try not to do business with them.

You would think an RV dealership, with a chance to make a big sale, would respond. Before we bought our new coach, I looked high and low for an 09 Dynasty Bishop IV with a 500 ISM. Demartini in Grass Valley, California had one, but was sold when I contacted them. For over two years now, the coach is still on their website. When you do a search it comes up, but says sold. They need to remove it from their website.
We'll probably end up ordering a '16 DSDP 4375 since only a few used rigs have that floor plan. For some reason my wife is fixated on the galley in the front. I need to remind her that that pretty much cuts out visitors sitting in the drivers/passenger seat area and being close enough to talk to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #5

Annoying to say the least. I simply cross that dealer off my list.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't even worry about whether or not they'll answer. I don't do business with any outfit that refuses to put a price on their website or ad. And that applies to everything, from online parts to real estate.

"Call for Price". Yuh. Right. Might happen.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I don't even worry about whether or not they'll answer. I don't do business with any outfit that refuses to put a price on their website or ad. And that applies to everything, from online parts to real estate.

"Call for Price". Yuh. Right. Might happen.
Maybe you don't realize, there are some prices that can literally not be advertised. The manufacturer will not allow it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Maybe you don't realize, there are some prices that can literally not be advertised. The manufacturer will not allow it.
I don't care. If I'm a potential buyer, it's their loss.

In the great preponderance of occurrences, it's just a cynical attempt on the part of the seller to get you on the phone or in the door, on the assumption that once they get contact they can manipulate you into buying. That's a person I don't deal with.
2004 Element
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

Welcome to the new age of Customer Service, Dealers used to want your Business now they act like they are doing you a favor (not just dealers it's every where) "Old School" Business is history, shame.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re-listed units

I often see RV's advertised on E-Bay as "No Reserve" auctions. The unit sells for a low price and then pops back up a week later for sale again. I sent a questions to one of the selling dealers one time asking "I thought this unit sold last week?) only to get a reply back "it's still available,call me". NOT ! Take your rig and shove it.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I don't care. If I'm a potential buyer, it's their loss.

In the great preponderance of occurrences, it's just a cynical attempt on the part of the seller to get you on the phone or in the door, on the assumption that once they get contact they can manipulate you into buying. That's a person I don't deal with.
Most of the time, yes. But you are also lumping all dealers into the same category of scum bags, when there are honest businesses out there, just trying to stay in business.

What if it's priced high? You see it, it's too high, and you don't contact either.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lumping? There is no lumping. I'm merely acknowledging the category into which that merchant voluntarily placed himself.

I don't read advertising for the award-winning prose. I'm looking for information. If a merchant chooses to withhold pertinent information, he's missed his opportunity to sell me something.
2004 Element
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #13

How about dealers who advertise motor homes they don't actually have ? They even go so far as giving these non existent MHs stock numbers.This one dealer I contacted (who has two sales locations) had a MH, actually a number of them according to their web site, that I was interested in a couple of years back. The price they listed was about the same as a dealer in Texas. They told me they don't have them in stock, and don't plan on ordering any. They only put it on their web site to compete with other dealers on the price of the unit. They told me they could order a unit like the one they advertised, but it would be thousands of dollars more than a dealer in Texas was asking for the same unit. I never contacted the Texas dealer. For all I know,they might not have had a MH at the price they advertised either.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My brother bought a used coach from a Dealer in MI that left his unit on his web site for over a year, I haven't checked lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still on it.

I hate dealers (Car or MH) that advertise on the internet and then won't communicate with you electronically. I purposely want to do this mainly so I have a trail of what is discussed.

I haven't bought a vehicle or MH since 2004 in person, struck the deal on the internet and if the vehicle (both used and new) is what is represented by their ad then I buy. I have only had one occasion where it was totally misrepresented, so far pretty lucky.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer