Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why do similar length 5th wheels weigh much more than TT's

Just an observation that made me wonder, I have never had a 5th wheel BTW, just TT's

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #2

Added weight in the frame for the step up to the pin/hitch. Extra weight in the walls due to the added height ; more material involved in the bigger compartments etc, etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
first off - is the premise of your question true ?!?

Just like being asked "Have you stopped beating your wife?"
it presumes certain things !

Difficult (and really of little import) to compare unless you have
the same company building
the same floor plan, with
the same components and
the same materials and
the same .....

you get the idea
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

John, how does asking why similar sized TTs and 5th wheelers have such a difference in weight relate to "have you stopped beating your wife?" Whether he has or not, or isn't married or never started beating her, or even is she's beating him doesn't seem to bear on the weight of trailers. (Maybe they both beat the dog, I don't know.) I know that it assumes he has been beating his wife, which may be wrong. So maybe the weight question is a false assumption, but I'm assuming he made that assumption based upon something.

I don't know the answer to the weight question, but I think valid comparisons could be made with square footage, length and width and similar amenities. I don't think they have to be identical except for the way they are hitched.

I liked the first answer. Different stresses on the frame would require a 5th wheeler to have a stronger arrangement near the hitch and back. I would think. And, to be honest, I don't know that the square footage comparisons would be different.
:-)
(But once a wife-beater always a wife-beater. Doesn't seem to be something a person can quit.)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
true, the two questions don't relate
except to show that it presumes that equal length 5ers ARE heavier...
and that there are SO many variables, it would be difficult to quantify.

we have to do some research just to see if that premise is correct

assuming we can find one mfg that builds like quality 5er's and tt's with the same materials and components, etc...

maybe like http://www.openrangerv.com/light/floorplans.php
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Sorry, I would have posted sooner but my wife was giving me a good beating...Bada Bing

My assumption was because the tow vehicle could handle more of a load due to the location of the trailer hook up point. The bed of a one ton truck can safely carry 3500 pounds, so a large portion of a 5th wheel trailers' weight can be placed in the bed and still be be safe. Giving addition weight carrying capacity when combining the two units(truck and trailer).
While if the same truck had a receiver type hitch, the maximum load on the receiver may be 1000 lbs. with a 7500 lbs trailer capacity, thus greatly reducing the carrying capacity of the combined vehicles.

So to answer the question, if a manufacture is allowed to built it heavier, they will, and their customers will or should appreciate the increased amenities (which is weight).

Now back to my beating....
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
It was an honest question, I have been comparing TT's and 5th wheels of similar size and the 5th wheels are almost always 1-2,000 pounds more at the least. The height I guess also factors in and maybe also that most 5th wheels have 3/4 ton or more trucks pulling them has allowed them to not worry about weight in the 5th wheels. My expedition tows most TT's but a truck with the same engine can't safely pull most 5th wheels.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One reason is related to how they are measured - the length is generally measured from bumper to ball, or bumper to front wall in the case of 5th wheels. So, a TT that is listed as 30 feet long has an actual living area that is only about 26 feet long because the tongue takes up to 4 feet of that length. A 5th wheel that is listed as 30 feet long has pretty close to 30 feet of living space, so for "identical" lengths, you get 3 or 4 feet more living space in a fifth wheel. That living space weighs more because it's got walls, floor, roof, cabinetry, insulation, etc. associated with it.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote