Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will ask my brother, he a trucker.

And his answer was: I did not know they did.

So maybe they dont, maybe its just the person your dealing with...

Mark Taylor
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 2 cats. Retired USAF
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not know they did.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
Old 01-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
Due to a collision that halted traffic on I40 for a few hours we met a trucker; hard working American trucker and family man. My wife made him a huge Rv sandwich and he shared some of his load of strawberries. The driver said he respected Rvers as a majority shared that mutual respect. Due unto others and enjoy life ��.
Gary CA
2016 Fleetwood Southwind 34A
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Old 01-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As being a over-the-road driver, Owner/Operator, and a MH owner most of my life here are my two-cent's, that statement is not true! There are two classification's of truck drivers out there today, Old school, "seat of the pants" driver's, the ones that learned how to do the job by doing it!
And the other group, "steering wheel holders", that learned how to drive the truck at a school, and did not, and do not have the experience or the know how to get the job done properly! That said, most of the Company owned trucks, have very good drivers behind the wheel, that have the experience to do the job. But some of the company's hire the rookie, just out of the school driver's, and put them with a trainer, till they are deemed ready to go on their own! Be very carefull around these truck's as the driver may not have the experience to handle the truck correctly! You can tell these truck's by the signage on the back, "you too can own and be a truck driver" or " lease, own, drive" are just a few!
Ok, with that said, most of the truck's and MH's are driven safely and correctly, but there are always a few bad apples and the under experienced out there on the roads now days.
As for the flash of the lights, there two are two ways to do it, one correctly, one not so much! Years ago, the truckers, turned off the headlight's to signal the truck passing, it was clear to pull back over in front of the truck being passed. Then the flash of the clearance light's from the passing truck as a "thank you"!
Now, with the daytime running light's, most of the Company owned trucks, cannot turn off the headlight's to signal when it is clear to pull back over, so the new drivers flash their bright's to let the passing truck know it is clear! Is it right? No! But many do!
I got to where I do not look in my mirror anymore because I do not want to be blinded by that bright light flash, and see spots for the next 10 miles or so! I just wait for my cab to light up from the flash, then look, and make my lane change!
Now you know a little of the history about the type of drivers out there, and the light flash, and these are just my opinions, and I am sure there are many that will disagree with what I said!
As for the statement, Why do the truck drivers hate us? (80%) do not! The other (20%) hate everyone, because they hate the job they have been forced to do because of downsizing, and the declining job market!
I, myself, owned my truck and trailer, loved my job, and did it well for well over 35 years, was well respected, well paid, and I enjoyed almost ever min. of it! I now am retired, sold my business, and am enjoying life, traveling and MH'ing!
Old 01-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Full time OTR trucker here, just adding another two cents! Most fleet owned trucks are governed at a certain top speed (62, 65, 68, etc) & passing can be very stressful when passing another vehicle, being it a passenger vehicle or an RV. The truck more than likely isnt passing you that slowly by choice, it simply can't go any faster unless gravity is pulling it down a hill! Say I'm passing a truck pulling a fifth-wheel on a two lane road, pedal to the floor topped out at 65, & you the guy enjoying your trip to the campground has locked your cruise at 64. Time is money, and trust me, that trucker will be trying to pass even though it may take a mile to do it! That is a stressful maneuver, but the RV driver that simply taps his brakes and loses 5 mph for 7seconds so the truck can get around him is a truckers best friend! JMHO
Old 01-10-2015, 03:21 AM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also flash the trucks as they pass me and only about a third of them acknowledge me. Of the few trucks that I pass I mostly do not get a flash to let me know when to come over. I think a lot of this has to do with the drivers age and experience. I would most likely bet that the ones that do acknowledge are the older ones. I don't think (IMHO) the training of the drivers now days are as good as it used to be.

I respect the truck drivers and will usually help them out as much as possible if they are locked in behind me and need to pass.
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I won't flash and don't expect a flash. I use my mirrors, time and my camera to determine where and when to cut back. Often when I have given a flash for trucker passing me they very professionally take their time to increase the distance between us. now when they do pull back in line we have safe distance so I won't be up his butt.

I don't think that they hate us but rather as some said, there is a percentage of both truckers and MH operators that are just simply of questionable intelligence or character.
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:10 AM   #22
Master of Disaster

I would say that "light protocol" seems to have changed over the decades, and that's true regardless of if I am in a car OR a motorhome... I honestly don't think it's an "RV" thing at all.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
Old 01-10-2015, 05:54 AM   #23
I have the unique perspective from hauling a big 5'er with both a pick-upp truck dually and a semi tractor. Hauling with the semi, I got many more head nods, lights flashed, thumbs up, and more space...... which is funny considering that hauling the 5'er with the Volvo is alot safer than hauling it with the pickup. Maybe when the other truckers see the RV behind the big truck they realize that its a heavy trailer and give room they same that they do with each other.
I don't think that the general, driving down the highway public- either truck drivers or car motorist, realize how heavy some of the combinations of trucks and RV's are, Or how close to the edge or over the edge we are on our weight limits.
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All I can say is from recent experience on a 4 month, 9,000 mile cross country trip. We had few, if any, bad experiences with OTR trucks. I had friendly conversations with several drivers at truck stops while getting fuel. I had many wave at me when they passed. There were a few who crowded me a bit when passing but I am always aware when a truck passes and try to give them plenty of room.

As noted, I know that many of the company trucks are governed and respect that the drivers are on a tight timeline. I generally set my cruise at 63-64 so if I see one struggling to pass, I disengage to slow and let them get by as quickly as I can. I would expect truckers to be no different that other segments of our society.... many good folks and a few bad apples.

At least those drivers are out there trying to make a living and not sitting on their butts letting the government (you and me) take care of them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #25
Truckers don't dislike us, everyone needs to look in the mirror. The key word is "respect" for both the trucker and the RV'er. If a trucker or an RV'er has any respect for themselves, they will show respect for the other. Flashing lights equal liability. But we don't live in a perfect world.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
But some of the company's hire the rookie, just out of the school driver's, and put them with a trainer, till they are deemed ready to go on their own! Be very carefull around these truck's as the driver may not have the experience to handle the truck correctly! You can tell these truck's by the signage on the back, "you too can own and be a truck driver" or " lease, own, drive" are just a few!
Good information. Kinda like pulling up next to a "Reserve America" RV. Not anywhere you want to be for too long.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old 01-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I also disagree with the basic premise based on my experiences. I had a trucker chase me down at a truck stop once because I left my fuel cap on top of the fuel pump.

There was one situation I found myself in though, that I will always wonder about. I was approaching the Tappenzee Bridge from the east completely surrounded by big rigs. As I recall, the lanes were necking down. I slowed to allow a trucker on my right to merge into my lane, but he began to move over before he cleared me. His trailer caught the passenger mirror and put it out of commission. It wasn't as if he narrowly misjudged. My mirror collided with his trailer a good 10 ft up the side from the rear doors. He kept going as if nothing had occurred. Thankfully, that was all that happened. I will always wonder if that was accidental or something else.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
Old 01-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
I've only had positive experiences with truckers, as well. Maybe it's a Golden Rule, thing? YMMV, \ken

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Closed Thread