Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our first RV View Post
Full time OTR trucker here, just adding another two cents! Most fleet owned trucks are governed at a certain top speed (62, 65, 68, etc) & passing can be very stressful when passing another vehicle, being it a passenger vehicle or an RV. The truck more than likely isnt passing you that slowly by choice, it simply can't go any faster unless gravity is pulling it down a hill! Say I'm passing a truck pulling a fifth-wheel on a two lane road, pedal to the floor topped out at 65, & you the guy enjoying your trip to the campground has locked your cruise at 64. Time is money, and trust me, that trucker will be trying to pass even though it may take a mile to do it! That is a stressful maneuver, but the RV driver that simply taps his brakes and loses 5 mph for 7seconds so the truck can get around him is a truckers best friend! JMHO

Excellent advice! We should all remember that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My experience is that the OTR drivers are very courteous on the road. The very few grumps I've run into are in the truck stops...probably because they are stopped and not making money.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Seems to be conflicting new articles online about the pile up this week on I-80......first report said 2 in a car lost their lives when crashed into, and the 3rd was a trucker......he got hit while out of his truck helping other's in auto's.........Every place I look/read on it......seems to report something different???
Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
trucks

I never have any problems with Trucks but I find in cities the cars wont give a break to ya to change lanes or make turns - I'd rather run with the truckers.
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 01-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
Trucker do not hate us all.

What they DO hate is un-professional drivers that do not follow the rules of the road, no matter what rig that person is driving.

And that statement goes both ways.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO truckers have several jobs. First it to make a living for their family. Second is to keep making a living for their family. Being involved in an accident is down time for them and at that moment their income declines or stops.

I worked for many years managing projects that involved trucks hauling road building materials. Most of the truckers were great. There were a few though that made you scratch your head. Sort of like the other trades that worked on the projects.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #35

I learned to drive in the late '50s when trucks drove like, well, trucks. They were equipped with mediocre brakes, noisy cabs that provided poor visibility, engines that just had enough power to get them rolling to hwy speed, kidney battering suspensions and side view mirrors that vibrated so badly you couldn't see much in them. In those days, everybody did the light flash thing. Trucks have improved a lot since then and it isn't really necessary to let truck drivers know they have safely passed you. i think truck drivers don't mind sharing the road with us, as long as we display common sense when driving, fueling and parking. Truck stops are thre for THEM not US....
Old 01-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I learned to drive in the late '50s when trucks drove like, well, trucks. They were equipped with mediocre brakes, noisy cabs that provided poor visibility, engines that just had enough power to get them rolling to hwy speed, kidney battering suspensions and side view mirrors that vibrated so badly you couldn't see much in them. In those days, everybody did the light flash thing. Trucks have improved a lot since then and it isn't really necessary to let truck drivers know they have safely passed you. i think truck drivers don't mind sharing the road with us, as long as we display common sense when driving, fueling and parking. Truck stops are thre for THEM not US....
Must be simpily your opinion due to the fact......at the enterance, it does not say(in any I have been in all across this country) "Big Trucks ONLY"......and the largest percentage of driver's know this and do not even have a problem with pickup's fueling at the big islands......I have seen this.......and like posted above, I have never stopped for fuel when I did not talk to a driver.......they are out streching and maybe have not talked to someone in day's..........most are glad to talk to anyone! No matter what you drive
Old 01-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Both truckers and RVers on the roads these days mirror society. There are jerks and courteous drivers. I use to give the truckers an assist with lights, but don't do it unless they are really holding up traffic and need to get over quickly. I've also found that when I'm just driving the motor home, I rarely get a headlight assist, but when I'm towing my truck (65' long), I get quite a few more headlight flashes.

When it comes to Rest Stops, I think they're there for everyone. The signs I've seen at the entrance say...Cars this way, Trucks and RV's that way. We haven't overnighted in a Rest Stop in 30 years, just too noisy. With that said, I still think they are there for both. Truckers will claim that the over the road taxes they pay make the Rest Stops theirs. My yearly over the road taxes on my RV were probably ten times what they pay per mile driven.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
Why do truckers dislike us so much? Whenever a big rig goes by me at night I always dip my likes a couple of times to let then know its safe to come over, and they in turn recognize my courtesy with a flash of the lights, but God forbid they should show me the same courtesy when I pass them.
Tim
Nearly all truckers signal me with a flash of their headlights when it's safe to come over... (and thank me after they pass me and I signal them).
Maybe it's only you they don't like?
BTW, more truckers pass me than I pass them.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #39

Driving with the vast majority of trucks drivers is an asset as they understand weight and size issues which RV'ers have to contend with. My pet annoyance is with smaller vehicles that will no allow you to change lanes even though you have signaled well in advance of your attentions. It seems that under no circumstances must they follow behind an RV. I know not all smaller vehicles think like this but there is alot. Sometimes after several attempts you have to let size take over and move yourself in......not recommended by everyone but sometimes necessary. JMO
Old 01-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #40

I see this as many, that Truck Drivers don't really dislike RV'ers. Just as we all have seen rude and inconsiderate drivers and they're usually the exception - they're the ones we remember the most!

I see a hit or miss on the old flashing of the lights. I do as others here have stated, flash my lights in traffic or hill climbing convoy style jockeying situations - to let a trucker or RV'er know it is OK to come on into my lane in front of me. I usually can watch the driver of trucks in the passenger mirror, and try to flash him when I see he looks over to the passenger mirror.

Sometimes we can travel all day without a thank you blink. Other times they're more the exception then the rule. But it's OK with me either way, as I'm doing the flashing for safety reasons. and feel I have done my job. And I do blink thanks, when I do get a flash that it is OK to come on in.

Good points about the truck stops, and use of slides. If I can't get a place off to the side, where my slides overhang over the curb, they remain in. And, I also very seldom target a Flying J for an overnight stop, as noted, we have other options while truck drivers don't have as many.

On Costco, Walmart, and other overnight stops. I use the same practice, I scout out the area that RV'ers are requested to use, and try and find a spot where I can parallel park so that my sides open over the curb. I also go in and ask Customer Service whom I should talk to about staying overnight. Usually a Assistant Manager, but sometimes the Store Manager will come up. I always thank them, let them know we are shopping. If I could not locate a place to open the slides over a curb, I asked them how crowded they get at night, and if it's not too crowded do they mind if I open my slides. Only one time was I asked not to open my slides, and we did not, and most times crowds are not an issue according to the manager. One Walmart Assistant Manager did tell me it gets crowded some nights, so I did not open my slides. (Not crowded that night, only two other overnighters .)

Truck Stops, Overnight at Stores, Fuel Stops, General Driving - I try to do my fair share on being polite, and safe, and just don't let the occasional bad apples bother me...

Travel safe,
Smitty
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found some "Thank" me for flashing them over, others do not, Some companies prohibit it in the company rules (not just for RV's but for everyone) believe it or not, others (most) do not.

However I suspect this: When I was 15, I took Driver's ED, same as most everyone my age did, Got my license when I was 16 and that is all I need, license wise, to drive this 38' house plus towed..

My brother took additional training and a more complex test and is licenesed (or was before his heart attach) to drive Semi Trucks, with all sorts of cargo, double trailers and more.

In the world of Radio: I have a CB, but I am also a licensed Amateur Radio Operator.. Many "Hams" as we are called, look down on CBers because, even when CB required a license (I had one) all you did was fill out a form, attach a check and drop it in an envelope.

As a Ham I studied, and passed some tests, I worked for 25 years as a PROFESSIONAL Radio operator and did not have to test for that job (Well I did test, but the test had nothing to do with how radios work).

I see it as much the same thing.. They had to work harder or their license..

But in truth.. I suspect something I am seeing more and more as I grow older.. Common Courtesy.... Can be found in Dictionaries and history books.. Alas, you do not find it "in the wild" as much as you used to.

Try this,, as you enter a store, with a few older folks approaching beind you open the door, pirouette so you are in line with the door but out of the path of the people entering behind you and hold the door for them.

See how they react.. More and more it is with surprise.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I too, as I don't want to be any closer to rock and gravel coming off the truck pitting my paint and windshield. In addition, when I pass big rigs I don't change lanes till way ahead of them as I do not want to be the cause for them to brake or change gears unnecessarily.
Me too. I've observed that most truck drivers will signal when it's comfortable in their mind for be to merge into their lane, IF I have signaled my intention to do so. Having my rear camera on constantly is a great help for me to know when I'm clear, but I wait for the truck driver to tell me he's OK too.
At to a reason some truck drivers don't like RV drivers, past experiences with poor RV owners/drivers. On the flip-side, I've seen a few poor truck drivers; do they bother me-no, because I give them the benefit of a doubt, like I hope they do me when I make a bonehead mistake.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Closed Thread