Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #43
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I have been driving trucks for 43+ years and don't hate RV's. Never had a problem with them. Now about some of the so called "professionals," well I won't go there.

It is very rare that I "flash back" anyone. On a four+ lane road it really isn't needed. I will give a thanks flash UNLESS I get the brights. I really don't like to be blinded and I know where the rear of my trailer is at and where your front-end starts.

Way too many drivers have the "me first" attitude and there is no hope for them. Don't let it crawl under your skin, sooner or later they will crash and hopefully only kill themselves.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #44

I always hated the flash of the brights too, ESPECIALLY at night. That practice was getting going when I drove big trucks many years ago. When you spend enough time in the seat you instinctively know where the end of your trailer is at. When you look in the mirror about the time the high beams come on it makes it real difficult to see for a bit. I do either turn on the headlights or turn them off to advise when the trailer is clear or I just tell them on the CB.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #45

Maybe truckers who dont like the courtesy flash should wear sunglasses at night.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had it both ways. When we had a popup and a 71 olds, I topped a hill and there set a line of traffic. It was completely stopped. I slammed on brakes and took to the grassy median. The middle of the four lane was very slanted. Every time I gave it the gas the car slid closer to the center guard rail. By the time I got out of the car, two truck drivers were there and pushed against the side of the car to help get back up to the road. The second time, I was on I-75 and was on a clear stretch of 5 lanes. There was only me and a trucker within 3/4 of a mile. He started to pass me. When the trailer wheels were even with the front of my motorhome, He cut hard right into me. I had no time to check the right lane, I cut just as hard into the right lane. If there had been anyone in that lane it would have been a nightmare. I had checked it a minute before but had no time to double check. There is no way this was an accident. The driver and I had not had any interaction. I could not have done anything to make him mad. This is the only time something like this has happened to me. As others said, there are just some jerks out there. P.S. The mirror thing is for sure on purpose. Our dealership has replaced dozens of mirrors on motorhomes being delivered from the factory, going to shows etc. Not one mirror was drug off while a driver was in the coach. Every time it happened when the driver was in the restroom.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #47

I Think it's a generation thing. In my travels it seems that the younger truck drivers speed, do not show any road courtesy, and usually think they are the only one on the road. The older season truck drive is a great friend on the road. Watch and see, you really can tell the difference.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have ya seen the way some of drive???
Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I've noticed a decline in the number of truckers who signal to me with their lights about safe passing/merging, and chalk that up to younger drivers with less experience and maybe the less ingrained courtesy of their generation {can you tell I'm an old fart?]. But I don't light-signal much either unless traffic is heavy and it appears to me the driver might appreciate a clue when he is OK to move over.

I'm also firmly in the "truck drivers don't hate us" group. We fuel mostly at truck stops and find pro drivers to be either quite friendly or [mostly] just going about their business. Likewise in rest areas (not the trucks-only places - we don't stop there). Rarely do we come across any who seem disgruntled, probably a lower percentage than the population at large.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 01-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #50

During the down turn, a few years back, finding truck driving a field that was hiring, off to truck driving school. Flashing lights was a no no, and a big NO at night. Two things come mind, one, allowing to driver to close the distance between you and him can be unsafe, second the flash at night is blinding period, also unsafe. Mostly the four wheelers being a very selfish lot. Today I drive my car or RV the same way I was taught to drive a "rig" tractor and 53' trailer. Practice safe distance and when you're late, stop get a cup of coffee, because you are late and late is late; no load is worth a life. Keep the bottom side down, have a safe trip.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I do when in a rest area where RV and truck spots are shared is I don't pull all the way to the front. I have a short rig and that way someone can see my tail in the spot. Ever see an empty space in a regular parking lot and pull up to it in the car only to find out there's a smart car or some other compact car nestled all the way in so you not see it? No big deal in a parking lot with a car but...

Imagine a trucker pulling into a rest area and down toward the end of the row is an open space. He drives his rig down the row only to find when he gets to that space that there's a shorter RV pulled all the way in he could not see until he got there and there's no other spots left in the row.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
One thing I do when in a rest area where RV and truck spots are shared is I don't pull all the way to the front. I have a short rig and that way someone can see my tail in the spot. Ever see an empty space in a regular parking lot and pull up to it in the car only to find out there's a smart car or some other compact car nestled all the way in so you not see it? No big deal in a parking lot with a car but...

Imagine a trucker pulling into a rest area and down toward the end of the row is an open space. He drives his rig down the row only to find when he gets to that space that there's a shorter RV pulled all the way in he could not see until he got there and there's no other spots left in the row.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #53

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our first RV View Post
Full time OTR trucker here, just adding another two cents! Most fleet owned trucks are governed at a certain top speed (62, 65, 68, etc) & passing can be very stressful when passing another vehicle, being it a passenger vehicle or an RV. The truck more than likely isnt passing you that slowly by choice, it simply can't go any faster unless gravity is pulling it down a hill! Say I'm passing a truck pulling a fifth-wheel on a two lane road, pedal to the floor topped out at 65, & you the guy enjoying your trip to the campground has locked your cruise at 64. Time is money, and trust me, that trucker will be trying to pass even though it may take a mile to do it! That is a stressful maneuver, but the RV driver that simply taps his brakes and loses 5 mph for 7seconds so the truck can get around him is a truckers best friend! JMHO
My truck would do 130 kilometers an hour. I would set the truck up on cruise at 115 km. If I wanted to pass I put my foot into it passed fast and safely than back to cruise. But our insurance company wanted the trucks governed at 100 on cruise and 115 pedal to the medal. I hated it. That made it difficult to pass quickly and cleanly. As far as I see it restricted governed speeds are a reason that trucks are bunched up all together,they just can't get away from one another. Now throw a moderately powered motorhome out there and you could have a recipe for disaster. I no longer drive truck as I am retired. My coach is an f53 with a 460. I give the trucks all the room they need I was there in their shoes.I wish the truckers had that available power to pass and get away from me quicker.
In my neck of the woods it seems most trucks are governed. It seems that the older truckers with the experience to handle power are vastly retiring.
I mean no disrespect to new drivers, I have hired a lot in my time. But next time your out there have look at the cabs the old dudes are far and few between.
Just my opinion being a owner and employer.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Maybe truckers who dont like the courtesy flash should wear sunglasses at night.
You are rude!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #55

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have had it both ways. When we had a popup and a 71 olds, I topped a hill and there set a line of traffic. It was completely stopped. I slammed on brakes and took to the grassy median. The middle of the four lane was very slanted. Every time I gave it the gas the car slid closer to the center guard rail. By the time I got out of the car, two truck drivers were there and pushed against the side of the car to help get back up to the road. The second time, I was on I-75 and was on a clear stretch of 5 lanes. There was only me and a trucker within 3/4 of a mile. He started to pass me. When the trailer wheels were even with the front of my motorhome, He cut hard right into me. I had no time to check the right lane, I cut just as hard into the right lane. If there had been anyone in that lane it would have been a nightmare. I had checked it a minute before but had no time to double check. There is no way this was an accident. The driver and I had not had any interaction. I could not have done anything to make him mad. This is the only time something like this has happened to me. As others said, there are just some jerks out there. P.S. The mirror thing is for sure on purpose. Our dealership has replaced dozens of mirrors on motorhomes being delivered from the factory, going to shows etc. Not one mirror was drug off while a driver was in the coach. Every time it happened when the driver was in the restroom.
Your experience reminds me that when driving, we should keep our eyes moving continuously. Always checking left, right, front and rear. If something does happen, we know where to go, and what action to take.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post

I also try to pull into the ones the furthest away from the restrooms. If a trucker has to stop and mess up his timing he must need to go bad. I have seen some rest areas that have signs for the truckers which are closer to the restrooms. I want to walk some anyway to loosen up my stiff body.

Closed Thread