Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
I have read some, not all of the posts. Let me say that there are a lot of "reasons" for OTR Drivers doing what they are doing. Lets start with my beliefe is most of the younger drivers don't have a clue as to "talk with their lights". A large lot of them can't speak English let alone talk with lights. And there are truly a lot less real professional drivers today as there used to be. Look at the "equipment" they drive and that will say something about them. Just my dimes worth, may not be PC but that's just the way I am. Forgive me if I offended any one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Many years ago Big trucks were just that. They had mechanical slack adjusters on the brakes, that should be adjusted every day. They had way less horsepower and alot different transmissions. They rode rough and were noisier inside and I could go on.
Now everything is automatic, including alot of auto transmissions. The engines are all protected by computers, not like back in the days where you really had to pay attention no to lug your engine.
That was then and you needed experience to drive a rig properly. If you didn't have it you were soon in trouble.
Things have changed, anyone can learn to drive a truck very quickly and most of the hard stuff is done for you.
Most trucks are tracked by GPS and speed rated and serviced including brakes by the company.

Some of these new type of drivers are very good at what they do and are very professional. Some are not.

When you compare RV drivers, how many are professionally trained and how many just buy one and climb in and learn as they go.

I don't really think the Truckers hate Rver's .
Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #59

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Many years ago Big trucks were just that. They had mechanical slack adjusters on the brakes, that should be adjusted every day. They had way less horsepower and alot different transmissions. They rode rough and were noisier inside and I could go on.
Now everything is automatic, including alot of auto transmissions. The engines are all protected by computers, not like back in the days where you really had to pay attention no to lug your engine.
That was then and you needed experience to drive a rig properly. If you didn't have it you were soon in trouble.
Things have changed, anyone can learn to drive a truck very quickly and most of the hard stuff is done for you.
Most trucks are tracked by GPS and speed rated and serviced including brakes by the company.

Some of these new type of drivers are very good at what they do and are very professional. Some are not.

When you compare RV drivers, how many are professionally trained and how many just buy one and climb in and learn as they go.

I don't really think the Truckers hate Rver's .
I could not agree with you more. One thing I would like to add. When I was on the road in the cab of a truck I was very disappointed to drive past interesting places only to see them from the road going by. Now that I am retired I get to see a lot of interesting places and am now able to meet great people. I bet if we started a thread about truck drivers we would be a large group within this RV Forum.
It's all about the freedom of the road and sharing.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I started driving over the road semis in 1957 and I have no idea what you mean by "Slack Adjusters". Do you mean the manual parking brake, which we never used?

My motor home has more horse power than my first diesel semi. It was a 220 Cummins with a 19 sp. Roadranger, and I grossed out at 73280 lbs. Now I have a 330 Cat and gross out around 36000 lbs. And yes, an automatic transmission.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #61
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I've never found that truckers dislike us. Any time we pull into a truck stop, or a rest area, we always make it a point to strike up a conversation with at least one trucker. Our conversations have always been friendly, sometimes leading to a great visit. We've found that nobody can beat a trucker for helping us get the best directions to our next destination.

I can't think how many times a trucker has told us that he was looking forward to being able to retire and run a coach like we do.

Jim
My experience exactly.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #62

Slack Adjusters is when you put another hole in your belt to hold them up. Your not going to get me to bite on that one, Cooperhawk, (X-trucker)
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's the only one I know of too.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't feel like the average trucker hates us and I have never had a trucker do anything deliberate to me. Maybe some out there are careless or not well trained, but that occurs in every occupation. Now I cannot say the same thing for car drivers. I have had too many pull some very nasty, mean-spirited maneuvers on me including re-passing and then slowing down many times, and heavy brake checking when they did like me not being able to move over into the left lane when they merged directly in front of me.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #65

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I started driving over the road semis in 1957 and I have no idea what you mean by "Slack Adjusters". Do you mean the manual parking brake, which we never used?

Your kidding right ?
I took the Air brake endorsment course last year, and you still need to know how to adjust the slack adjusters!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Your kidding right ?
I took the Air brake endorsment course last year, and you still need to know how to adjust the slack adjusters!
No, I'm not kidding. I do know how to adjust the brakes, but you said daily, and we probably did it yearly. And here's something else, if you are burning through brake linings you are wasting fuel. We slowed down by gearing down and using the brakes sparingly.

Now when I have my rig serviced the mechs take care of that for me.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Empirical evidence from years of objective study and examination has revealed that other drivers who seem to "dislike me so" are the ones I just pulled a bonehead or unexpected move in their path .... so I try to skip any bonehead or unexpected moves.

Seems folks have a valid expectation that other drivers know what they are doing. To prove this theory, I thought back about how I feel when someone pulls a bonehead or unexpected move in my path ... yep, I dislike them!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"And Mommy, when we went for a ride with Grandma we didn't see one Bonehead, Idiot, Nincompoop, Jerk driver the entire day."
Old 01-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #69

I have driven semi's all my life and over the years you find idiots in all types of vehicles . Many times I have had to put up with that idiot truck driver that has tailgated me down a mountain cause he couldn' get around ,or try to pass when he shoulden't have forcing me and others to slow down to let the clown in to avoid a tragic accident . So there are inconsiderates all around us in many types of vehicles . The best thing to do is stay out of their way and get as much of a gap from them as possible .
Old 01-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #70

slack adjusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Your kidding right ?
This guy says he been driving semi's sence 1957 and dont know what Slack Adjusters are?? That's like the cowboy who never stepped in horse crap .
Closed Thread