Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #71

I ALWAYS yield to a trucker if I am slowing him/her down. I figure we are retired, no big hurry to get somewhere so let them by. The trucker is still working for a living and most likely has a schedule to meet, has had to contend with some [moderator edit] and idiots that don't compensate for the fact that trucks are bigger, heavier, longer, and take a longer distance to stop than their puny little car. Get into an accident with a semi, you lose!

I drive with the same attentiveness and courtesy like I did when I rode my motorcycle. Works for me!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjammer View Post
This guy says he been driving semi's sence 1957 and dont know what Slack Adjusters are?? That's like the cowboy who never stepped in horse crap .
I never said that did I? In fact I can disassemble the brakes and rebuild them in total. I can do it on cars, pickups, trucks tractors, and motorhomes.

So tell me, do you adjust your brakes daily?
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 01-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #73

Back in the 80s I was pulled into the mto scales with my truck. They found my brakes were out of adjustment and said if I fixed the problem they would not charge me. I went under the truck with a wrench made the adjustment s and off I went. Today I'm not allowed to touch the brakes I first would be charged then would have to call a mechanic to come adjust the brakes. And the brakes today still go out of adjustment. Now to the guy who woke me up at the rest area this morning with his horn I hate you!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've always flashed the truckers when they pass me that it's safe to pull back in.
The biggest problem I have found is ,like another poster stated, the newer generation don't acknowledge the courtesy.
The "oldtimers" also have returned the favor if I pass them on a hill.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Many years ago Big trucks were just that. They had mechanical slack adjusters on the brakes, that should be adjusted every day.
Just to clear the air a bit, this is the comment that I was referring to. I don't know what kind of brakes he is referring to.

My Father started his trucking company in 1935. He sold it and retired in 1976. He started me driving in 1957 and I drove for him until 1964 when Uncle Sam called. I did not go back full time but spent vacation time on the road just to see old friends and give my brother time off. When my Father retired, my Brother started up on his own. He died of cancer in 2003, and I sold his last Freightliner in 2004.

So, is that enough? OBTW, have been RVing since 1972,
Old 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #76

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I started driving over the road semis in 1957 and I have no idea what you mean by "Slack Adjusters". Do you mean the manual parking brake, which we never used?

Ahhh ^

Up here in western Canada, if your driving a semi in the mountain passes, your required to pull into 'Brake Check' stations, and get under your rig and trailer, with your slack adjusting tool. DOT will hang out at these stations, and ensure this is being done.
They have been known to hide in the bush, waiting for truckers pulling in, and not getting out of the cab !
Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, you learn something new every day. That is news to me, thank you for clarifying that.

Used to be in the old days they would pull you over for inspections here and pull a wheel and look for rust in the brake drum.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son drives semi presently and I asked him if semi drivers hated people in MHs and RVs. He said in general no but just like people who drive cars and trucks, there are idiots who test your patience.

The people who pull in front of you on the on ramp and won't speed up to speed limit until after you had to break cause you could not move over due to traffic. The person who passes you and then pulls in front of you and then takes the off ramp. The driver who is on their cell phone and not paying attention to their speed or lane.

Course I see this almost every day while driving my car to work. Three years ago I was broadsided while sitting at a stop sign and have had to have 4 neck surgeries since. I could still bust the girl who was on her cell phone because I will be in pain the rest of my life because she was not paying attention to her driving.

What seems to really get the semi drivers are the MH /RV owners who put their slides out at rest areas and take two spots. He also said that at truck stops it irritates semi drivers when MH / RVs park there. Truck stop implies for truckers. Their take on it.

It always comes down to courtesy and let's face it, there are plenty of drivers (driving whatever) on the road who are not paying attention and will not yield or adjust to any other driver. They follow too close or think it is funny to pull over in front of you way too close to your vehicle.

I like to leave a lot of room between me and the vehicle in front of me and I don't like anyone on my tail. Lynne
Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #79

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well now your out of the game, you don't need to worry bout that !
I found it odd that to pass my air brake exam, I had to show that I could measure and adjust manual slack adjusters, yet, I have automatic slack adjusters, and I'm not supposed to touch them !
Old 01-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Personal Exchanges and Slack Adjusters

Had to look it up...never drove anything over a 44Pax Bus.

Name:   whlbrk.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  23.6 KB

AND...please help keep iRV2 friendly by reducing personal exchanges to a minimum. And when done, should be positive in nature. Remember these posts are on the inter-web and can be read by thousands of people besides those posting in the thread...and it's contrary to the Community Rules that everyone accepted when they joined as members.

Thanks for understanding.
iRV2 Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Empirical evidence from years of objective study and examination has revealed that other drivers who seem to "dislike me so" are the ones I just pulled a bonehead or unexpected move in their path .... so I try to skip any bonehead or unexpected moves.

Seems folks have a valid expectation that other drivers know what they are doing. To prove this theory, I thought back about how I feel when someone pulls a bonehead or unexpected move in my path ... yep, I dislike them!
I resemble that bonehead unexpected move sometimes. Never on purpose, and usually assign myself a 'do better' to avoid such a move next time.

And I think it goes the same way for other auto and truck drivers too - mistakes happen.

That being said, I know I have seen the teenage kid driving without full understanding of how his/her driving is endangering other drivers. Same can be said with the older driver, firmly and proudly, or sometimes frighteningly - again without understanding - driving along at 45 MPH. They quite often never know they've caused near misses, and or accidents, from doing so.

And yes, cars, motorcycles, and trucker - are just sometimes arse-holes - and frankly could care less whom they're impacting by their aggressive and many times careless driving.

I said in a earlier posts, I too do not feel that Truckers hate RV'ers. In fact, it's usually the car that just has to get around you before the two lanes end that really seem to dislike being 'stuck' behind that RV. As I'm in no hurry now, if I feel it is safe to do so, I'll slow way down in the passing lanes, to let as many as possible get around me. On single lanes, if I see a safe place to pull off, I'll do so to allow backed up traffic to get around me.

Drive defensively, and I always tell my DW - drive assertively is quite often the safest thing to do. As Captain Ron would say 'Don't worry. They'll get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga.'. (I say that somewhat tounge in cheek, but I feel it's important to signal your intentions, and the slowly and assertively make your move. If you don't, you can find yourself running out of a lane as it goes away. This sometimes requires traffic in the lane your going into to slow down some for you, as these DP's are not pocket rockets on the acceleration front. If this happens to a car driver that does not have a clue (and many do not, about big trucks or RV rigs) about what is going on, and they take exception - oh well, I politely wave and do not let it get to me. Many more times then not, a person in the lane that I need to get into, will see what is going on, and actually slow down for me. I even get a flash of lights from time to time.

Have fun, and just don't let any form of road rage cause you to get into a dangerous position.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Well now your out of the game, you don't need to worry bout that !

I found it odd that to pass my air brake exam, I had to show that I could measure and adjust manual slack adjusters, yet, I have automatic slack adjusters, and I'm not supposed to touch them !
Off-topic I know, but perhaps I missed something.
Yes, we have automatic slack adjusters; and the chassis manual states they should be lubricated per schedule, and they should be checked occasionally, using the manual adjustment to insure the "automatic" part is actually functioning as designed. (page 20, Bendix Air Brake Handbook) What is the source of "I'm not supposed to touch them"?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #83

Smitty, What Saratoga did you drive. I was on the USS Saratoga, CVA 60....
Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Empirical evidence from years of objective study and examination has revealed that other drivers who seem to "dislike me so" are the ones I just pulled a bonehead or unexpected move in their path .... so I try to skip any bonehead or unexpected moves.

Seems folks have a valid expectation that other drivers know what they are doing. To prove this theory, I thought back about how I feel when someone pulls a bonehead or unexpected move in my path ... yep, I dislike them!
I had a good laugh on that one. it is funny but more likely the most truthful.

I have had a pretty good track record over the years but have to admit to causing someone else a head scratch a time or two. It just goes with the territory.

Back to the slack adjuster debate that I started. I drove log trucks on trips that required you to go up steep off highway roads to get your load of logs.
When loaded you would come down grades anywhere from 5 to 20 percent. for several miles average maybe 10. The road surfaces could be rough and all the braking and shaking would cause the best maintained brakes to back off. Then you would pull out on the highway and drive several miles to the mill yards. It became the law that you were required to set up your brakes daily.
Most drivers didn`t actually do it daily but you never knew when the DOT would pull you over and measure your push rod travel. It got very expensive very quickly.
That was for the log trucks and was soon adapted to everything with air brakes.
That was in BC Canada and maybe not through the US.
I never drove anything as old as 1957 but I remember driving an old Mack that had some other form of brake adjusters on it.

I hope that explanes my comments.
Closed Thread