Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
With a residential fridge we use our inverter while in motion to power it. The engine alternator keeps the batteries charged so that is not a problem. If it is hot out, generator gets used for the a/c. Other than that I think we could live without one. Still nice to have just in case.

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
While drycamping if the tv is all we are using,
the genny is overkill so I use the inverter.

2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
I would err in favor of overkill for the inverter. I didn't remember what you wanted to use it for but a coffee maker, hair dryer, toaster, desktop broiler and many microwave ovens use about 1500 w each. The 3,000 watt offers lots of comfort room and the better half won't scream when the coffee pot, hair dryer etc. won't work. Most inverters can not be hard wired to send the whole 3,000 watts to a sub panel, instead they provide two 1500 watt outlets. These often will not run an 8 cup coffee maker. If you get a xantrex 3000 watt you can hardwire to a sub panel using 10 gauge Romex. Be sure to use 2/0 wire or greater for your DC hookup.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
Master of Disaster

In our old gas class A, we didn't have an inverter, but I wired up a cigarette lighter outlet to the house batteries, and just bought an inexpensive 160watt inverter the size of a pack of cigarettes, and we used that to charge phones/laptops/mifi units. You can do that from your regular cigarette lighter, of course, but in our case this not only put it in a more useful spot, but left the chassis battery undrained just in case something went wrong...

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
It is nice to have 120v power when stopped and not have to fire up the generator. IF the weather is cool enough not to need A/C, I use the inverter during the night for my CPAP instead of having to run the gen just for that when boondocking. Stopping at a rest area, I have even used the inverter for the microwave to heat up left over coffee and even watch for the weather on TV. It isn't a "must Have" it is a glad I have it kind of thing. Mine is an older modified sine wave - does anyone know if it hurts the microwave to use it with a MSW?
Most CPAPs will run on DC 12v if you get the DC cord for it and you eliminate the inverter overhead. I was able to find 12v cords for both of mine and eliminated my main requirement for an inverter. Another plus is that on extended dry camps, I can use a large portable jump start battery or a 35AH Deep Cycle battery to minimize discharging the house bank.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
Just a note on sizing; you were asking if a 2500W inverter is large enough. Our 2005 Newmar has a build-in xantrex 2000W MSM inverter/converter. It does work really well for the microwave, coffee maker, etc. when we make pit stops or dry camp. No, we can't use them all at once, but we try to avoid being stupid, so that's (usually) not a problem. When we travel, we leave the Samsung refrigerator running. Everything works great with this setup.

Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote