Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Why do we put up with it?

I have been rv'ing for close to 20 years and have moved from a simple 19 ft trailer, through a couple of larger units and a couple of 5th wheels, a Class A and now have a Class C. I probably could have paid down a (small) portion of the national debt with the monies I have invested (spent) in the RV industry. It is amazing that we spend the monies we do for products that, without exception, are inferior. One unit after another something was wrong. I know how "hard it is to get good help. I challenge RV owners to question why would they spend the enormous sums they do on these products. Most people I know will return, and get there money back, for $20 product. Something is wrong! The RV industry, is doing the American thing, trying to make a buck. But if we continue to accept shoddy, poorly manufactured products, ....alas, I run run out of words.
dihilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

This is why

Sunrise in Maine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunrise_620_wide.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	211988  
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notayurt View Post
Sunrise in Maine

Horsefeathers!
That seen, and others like it all over the country would look just as nice, be just as enjoyable, if you, for example, did not have to jack with your roof every year.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #4

Not too many options, IMHO!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Because the choice is to not participate then when they fix it everything will be three times as expensive.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the reasons I bought used was because if I bought new and it was falling apart I would loose it.

I know what is wrong with my rig and have fixed most of it. The roof issue can be resolved with some of the new systems out there that are expensive but if you hate dealing with the roof that much why not.

I love camping or glamping. Like having my own bed, bathroom, and the change in scenery. Living in MI and wanting to be gone in winters I can do that with my own (Home on wheels).

Everyone has what works for them but if I bought new and had to deal with some of the issues I have seen, yeah. I get your point.

We were down in White Pigeon, MI getting new jacks on our rig. There are parking lots after parking lots of new RVs there waiting for delivery. Sitting outside sometimes for a year with no attention but they will want full price. The industry does what it does because people will pay for poor quality.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think this is a question that most all of us who own/have owned RV's ponder at some time. I read every day about the new class A DP's with high tech gadgets that buyers seem to want and all the trouble they have with those. I mean stuff that is more than a mere inconvenience.

We owned two TT's and they were basically junk. I love to tinker so I kept them together while we had them. With our past two DP's we tried to carefully select gently used quality rigs that had been 'de-bugged' by the original owners. I guess we got lucky since we had things that needed to be fixed along the way but nothing that was catastrophic vacation/travel killers.

Bottom line....I think many of us put up with it because we like the freedom that RV travel offers and we like to tinker and repair. I can still fix most of what needs fixing but as I age, that will change. When I no longer enjoy doing the necessary repairs and/or don't want to pay someone else to do them, I will get rid of the beast.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihilde View Post
But if we continue to accept shoddy, poorly manufactured products
Most manufacturers build to some level of "shoddiness". However, there are plenty of "not shoddy" RV manufacturers out there. You just have to be willing to pay the costs associated with purchasing from one of those manufacturers. We all make a compromise when we purchase.

On the one hand, there are many brands I would never consider due to poor workmanship. However, on the other hand there are brands I would not consider because of the high cost. I compromise with something in the middle. Doesn't mean there aren't high quality units out there. Just means I can't afford them.

If all manufacturers built to the highest quality standard I'd be out of the market due to high costs. That's the reason I don't have a private jet.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:59 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
When I purchase an RV, I squeeze my eyes shut and grit my teeth ready for what's coming. I know I'm not going to win before I do it.

That said, I love to see new places and sleep in my own bed. Since I am full time, I always have everything I own with me such as my amateur radio equipment.

That's what makes it worth it to me.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #10

Oh I get it. I just went through a year of hell and ended up having my camper bought back. But I think my experience was rare, there was a true design flaw with our model but along with that was a serious lacking in quality of service, which does not seem to be rare.

Its the build quality / QA and the service that I think needs something done.

For one thing, I would think lenders would put some pressure on the factories and the dealers to do a better job. But that won't happen until people start walking away from their loans.

I often wonder by the NTSB doesn't get involved either, at least on some of structural issues, wiring, breaking. If these were cars, the attention would be paid.

And part of the problem is the factory / dealer relationship. Even if a factory says yep, it a warranty issue and pays the dealer to fix something, they have no way to hold their feet to the fire.

In my case the dealer screwed up the repair and then tried to resubmit it as warranty again. While they fought over it I miss most of a camping season.

Its a cluster. But as posted earlier, some do better than others, and they usually cost more. But as this is my vacation time, family time, I do the best I can as well and compromise.
tco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I share your frustration, just don't have an answer! That's one reason we chose to but a used coach, hoping that all the bugs had been taken care of!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

Because they're less expensive that boats with comparable accommodations/amenities?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tco0608 View Post
I often wonder by the NTSB doesn't get involved either, at least on some of structural issues, wiring, breaking. If these were cars, the attention would be paid.
I think the NTSB only cares about safety issues. They don't really care if your water pump or toilet works or if your cabinets are cheaply made.

Since most safety issues are related to the frame/engine they are usually covered pretty good by the frame maker.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #14

Never had a new RV. I always expect things to need repair and maintenance. The nice thing about buying used is that many of the fixes have been done, and the pricing is lower. Some of the fixes may need to be re-done, but the overall costs are less IMHO.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote