Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #43

Crooks and Criminals are out there!

Joe (and all)
Having been the victim in our stick house of a break-in (while we were home!) and recently of ID theft, I choose to make it a little harder for the bad guys to figure things out, like when we are out or away.

From my first simple google inquiry:
work:
[moderator edit]

It took me longer to type"i will not post this" than to find home and work addresses, phone numbers, and age on the first google page, not sure if it is correct, and don't want or need to know. Just trying to answer the OP's question.
Remember-Locks just keep honest people honest.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
My reason is all the above. I was notified Monday of a freeze on one of my credit cards. The credit card company said the reason was a charge for an online purchase of software form a company in Sweden. The credit card company knows we travel but only in a RV. Also this card has never been used on the internet. I have another card that generates a one time use number for that. We are very careful but it still happens and yes I do have a pair of noids.
Be carefull

Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
+1. Something as innocent as signing up to attend an RV rally can flag to the wrong individual that we're going to be out of our sticks 'n bricks for the weekend. Frankly, that's not something that I care to have floating around the Internet.

Rusty
10-4 on that!
About 6 years ago we left for an extended trip, which was great BTW. When we returned home a neighbor met us just as soon as I turned the engine off. He said about 3 days after we left a moving van and pickup turned into our driveway and stopped. He asked them what they wanted; the driver of the van said he had met us at a filling station in a (large nearby city) and we had sold him all of our household contents as we were going full time.
My great neighbor then asked how long it would take them to remove everything and the van driver asked why. My neighbor replied, "it will take me about 2 minutes to call the sheriff, grab my shotgun and begin shooting. Both vehicles, which were missing license plates, promptly left.

Now, I did stop for fuel in that city, used a CC to pay, never talked to anyone except the cashier. Draw your own conclusions. I did. I prefer to keep my information as private as possible. Give me your name and address; Google will do the rest, even show me a ground-level picture of your house so I can pre-plan my entry. I already know you are in the RV somewhere, just from reading the forums.( don't have to join to read this)
It is a good thing to have good trustworthy neighbors.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Because I want to. No other reason needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #47

One that nobody has mentioned yet (and I wish I didn't have to): I have 3 young girls at home (6,6, and 3) and a 1yo son. I'm sure that none of you are the pervy types, but anyone can read this forum as a guest and see anything that I post. Since I like to post all the fun stuff about the kids and the places we visit, I have chosen to be a bit discrete about where we are(city or town but no address or park name while we are there) and WILL NOT give my kids names. If you can somehow figure out where I am, I don't want the chance that you could drive by and call my kid by their name while they play outside. They know not to talk to (or approach) strangers, but I worry that they may be confused by the fact that someone would know their name, and delay their retreat enough to give a perv a chance to grab them. It sucks that I think this might happen, and I hope it never does... to ANYONE'S kids (though the news reports otherwise...), but I hope that I can keep them safe by minimizing the chances of it by keeping some personal info to ourselves.

I have searched myself and others who thought they wouldn't be on the internet and was amazed at how much info is readily available. With very little digging, I was able to find my home address, place of work, birthday. Criminal records (thank God I don't have one!!) leave NOTHING to the imagination.

Luckily, my kids are still 'ghosts' on the internet but, I'm sure it's only a matter of time...
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #48
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your comments! You've given me some things to chew on.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #49

Along the lines of this thread, be very careful when posting pictures taken with a cellular phone. Many of these (including the iPhone) embed GPS info in the photo (in the EXIF data) and this data may be present if someone downloads a photo you post! (Some photo upload sites intentionally strip it, some do not.) Just before I checked for this I almost posted pictures of my rig with its precise storage location, down to 10', for anyone in the world to see. Not a good idea.

There are PC applications that will check for this and strip the data out so the picture is safe to post. If your camera has GPS capabilities (like many cellphones) then make sure you check before posting.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #50
R&D

This should probably be under the topic of internet security but any admin to forum boards can see your ip address you are posting from and follow your travels. As well as when you use guest access on wifi and other networks. A solution is a VPN. Your connection is secured from you to the VPN server. When you go online it automatically connects. I have been using Strongvpn.com with excellent results.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #51

Was this question asked on rv.net/forum?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
"My great neighbor then asked how long it would take them to remove everything and the van driver asked why. My neighbor replied, "it will take me about 2 minutes to call the sheriff, grab my shotgun and begin shooting. Both vehicles, which were missing license plates, promptly left."

LMAO. Now that's a great neighbor!
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Along the lines of this thread, be very careful when posting pictures taken with a cellular phone. Many of these (including the iPhone) embed GPS info in the photo (in the EXIF data) and this data may be present if someone downloads a photo you post! (Some photo upload sites intentionally strip it, some do not.) Just before I checked for this I almost posted pictures of my rig with its precise storage location, down to 10', for anyone in the world to see. Not a good idea.

There are PC applications that will check for this and strip the data out so the picture is safe to post. If your camera has GPS capabilities (like many cellphones) then make sure you check before posting.
On the iPhone go to:
Settings
Location Services
Camera
Then turn off the camera or any other app that you don't want accessing your GPS location. Alternately you can turn off Location Services altogether.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
"My great neighbor then asked how long it would take them to remove everything and the van driver asked why. My neighbor replied, "it will take me about 2 minutes to call the sheriff, grab my shotgun and begin shooting. Both vehicles, which were missing license plates, promptly left."

LMAO. Now that's a great neighbor!
Yep! That very day we took our neighbors to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. I ran his trash route while he recovered from open heart surgery later that year. Sadly, he passed away a year later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Simple solution Dunner, sell the present house and the dune buggy, use the proceeds to move to a better neighborhood.

Dieselclacker
Problem with this statement is obvious......theives go to NICE houses to steal NICE stuff. The crappy place they come from doesn't have NICE stuff.

And....just to see.....I just spent 1.5 minutes and found out who and where RustyJC is and lives. All free info on the net.

About 10min more and I could get it all. And I mean ALL. But don't worry RustyJC, I am a moral person.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #56
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just go by my old nick name. Many people know me by Taz. Not as wild as I used to be. But anyone who wants to find me can.

I don't think most of us are hiding. Some are using alter egos others just names that work for them.

As for the sig... Not enough room to put it all

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote