Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote: "My great neighbor then asked how long it would take them to remove everything and the van driver asked why. My neighbor replied, "it will take me about 2 minutes to call the sheriff, grab my shotgun and begin shooting. Both vehicles, which were missing license plates, promptly left."

Yep....I've already had my lines memorized....."OK, I'll be right back to give you a hand....I just wanna run home and get my 357 magnum".

So far, I've been robbed 6x at 3 different houses. Got my Winchester lever action rifle, too. I didn't buy any more jewelery for 20 yrs after they got it all. Now I have a couple of rings and watches.

ID theives got my dad for $6000, from ATMs up and down the state, before he found out. The FBI told him it was an inside job. They got the account #s and then changed the PIN's. He got his $$$ back from the bank, after 6 mo.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent
It would not be hard to find out the location of your stick house, and the fact that you are away in your coach on an extended trip... That's enough reason for me!
Ahhh... But no stick house for me. :-)

Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
I'm just curious. It seems that everyone but me hides their identity on these websites. I must be missing something, but I don't understand why. It seems to me that if you act the way you should on here that you would not care if others know who you are, where you live, etc. I try my best to never say anything that would irritate anyone, certainly not to the point of coming after me! If we just follow the golden rule " Treat others the way you want to be treated", we won't have anything to worry about.
For years, I was a sysop on several CompuServ forums. Most forums had a "real name" rule. That is, you had to have a real name registered and showing, not a handle. Those that did so were much better behaved than those who didn't. In addition to that, we once had a high-post member suddenly stop posting. The moderators were able to direct the local police to his apartment, where they found him extremely ill and unable to call for help.

Ah, but times change.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #60

When you put something out on the web, it's there forever. I put something personal on a web forum several years ago. If I google my name, it's one of the first things that pops up. In retrospect, I wish I had not been so personal, but I can't take it back. Smart criminals can fabricate a new you if they have enough information about you. I've become very cautious. In fact, "ralphie" is not my real name. Oh, I have to go now; I think a black helicopter is circling my house again!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #61

I don't see any more or less info in your profile than 99% of those on this forum.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
I have spent most of my life with my name, address and pay as a matter public record. Virtually everything can be discovered thru Google or a FOI request. So, hiding is futile. Therefore, I just try to live my life as best possible.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
I use my first name but I'd never use my last name in a publicly accessed forum, it just temps fate.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
.....It seems to me that if you act the way you should on here that you would not care if others know who you are, where you live, etc. I try my best to never say anything that would irritate anyone, certainly not to the point of coming after me! If we just follow the golden rule " Treat others the way you want to be treated", we won't have anything to worry about.
OK, now it's your turn. Go ahead and tell me how stupid I am. I promise not to come looking for you!
I do not see how one precludes the other. Those who choose privacy does make them less likely to 'follow the golden rule' than those who choose to make all of their personal information available.

I have no desire for anyone to know where I live or when I will be gone and my house empty. To me (MY opinion), that's just inviting a lurker or any other unsavory character, to clean out my empty house that I, so generously, supplied the information to do so. Might as well have handed them the key before I left.

But the wonderful thing, about this country, is freedom. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

Happy New Year!!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
When you put something out on the web, it's there forever. I put something personal on a web forum several years ago. If I google my name, it's one of the first things that pops up. In retrospect, I wish I had not been so personal, but I can't take it back. Smart criminals can fabricate a new you if they have enough information about you. I've become very cautious. In fact, "ralphie" is not my real name. Oh, I have to go now; I think a black helicopter is circling my house again!
I copied this from your profile page...........

ralphie has not made any friends yet
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope you will reconsider giving everyone your name. Please consider the warnings from others on this site. There are too many predators on the Internet.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Is this you or a relation? Now suppose it is and you post on this or some other public site that your are taking a trip in your RV. Since not all folks who browse the web are honest, the less you let them know the better...

XXXXX XX Minyard

(XXX) XXX-XXXX
XXXX XXXXXXX xxxxxx xxx
xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx,xx xxxx
Wildtoad i think you have made our point clear.

I now hope you or a mod edits your post like i jusdt did this one to erase his location.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #68
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK, you've convinced me. I want to go to a "screen" name with no personal information. I know that the Admin can change my user name but I have some other concerns. I have some posting on here, including pictures, about various projects. If I change my user name and info, what will happen to those postings?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Bingo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I don't think you folks are stupid at all.
However if you leave a regular house behind when you out on trips,
I wouldn't post too much about when you leave or the fact that you might be 400 mils from home since you have your names and city/state clearly listed.
Quote:
It seems that everyone but me hides their identity on these websites... I don't understand why...
Because, my parole officer says it's for the best...

Seriously, I'm reminded of a Mexican mechanic's concern after I'd told him the name of my webpage; he looked it up when he got off work.

"Are you comfortable, showing pictures of your house and family?" I hadn't given the matter much thought. We lived in a small gated community back then (this was before the cartel violence), I'd omitted my address and other such details.

He went on to say that in Mexico, criminals would flesh out my profile, eventually kidnap me.

Better to be safe, than sorry. Even here in the comparatively less predatory US.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Mine is well hidden...

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote