Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #85

What is this dumping every day? We can boondock for 5 or 6 days before dumping. Just have to manage your resources.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rv shower:Oxygenics shower head.
Rv shower: 10gal water heater
Rv shower: privacy
CG shower:no privacy
cg shower: Don't know who used before you
Last one: don't have to walk to bath house!!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #87

Ran, I have only been to 1 CG with full hookups. 1 other with electric only and all the other use has been boondock style. 90% of our RV use is at locations with toilets and showers
I don't give a rats behind about hauling a poo trailer...and don't mind hauling fresh water. Hauling the poo trailer isn't a disgusting thing to me, it may be to others. Just because someone chooses to use their own toilet or shower doesn't make them as you have described....its a choice..right?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Do Whatever You Like.

The DW and I are new to RVing but not new to camping and one of the many great things about having our home away from home is having our own shower and toilet to use while on the road. I am a big man but the shower and toilet area in my 41ft Dutch Star are plenty big enough to allow me to enjoy my shower and shave. If I have to visit the dump station so be it because I am willing to pay that price. Bottom line is lets just respect each others right to enjoy this great journey each in our on way. CG bath houses are fine and a can of Lysol works fine at killing germs associated with the use of the the showers and toilets.

TEEGEE1997
Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Ran, I have only been to 1 CG with full hookups. 1 other with electric only and all the other use has been boondock style. 90% of our RV use is at locations with toilets and showers
I don't give a rats behind about hauling a poo trailer...and don't mind hauling fresh water. Hauling the poo trailer isn't a disgusting thing to me, it may be to others. Just because someone chooses to use their own toilet or shower doesn't make them as you have described....its a choice..right?
Not everyone finds hauling the Honey Wagon a neutral chore. I can't do it and my husband hates doing it.

Of course it's a choice. We always use the RV's toilet but we would rather take nice long hot showers at the CG bathhouse rather than fill our gray water tank in a day or two. It's not just shower water going down the GW trank, dishes, pots and pans have to be washed, things rinsed etc. When we have full hookups, we use the RV shower.

What did I make people sound like? Snobs too good to use the CG facilities? Some of them come across that way. I do know that everyone, when away from home and overtaken by a full bladder or bowel will use Public toilets which are a lot filthier than CG bath houses. So why brag they wouldn't use the CG facilities?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
What is this dumping every day? We can boondock for 5 or 6 days before dumping. Just have to manage your resources.
Not everyone has the same size holding tanks. You must have a huge gray water tank to hold 5 or 6 days worth of shower water for two people, dish water, teeth brushing and shaving water. If you have huge holding tanks, then why would you use the public showers?

It irks me when some people claim the don't use, WOULD NOT USE the CG's showers because of disease germs, as if public toilets, paper money, coins, handles and door knobs in public were germ free. Even a restaurant table and the counters have germs. What do those people do when they leave their homes? Wear gloves and use those hand disinfectants all day long? That those who do use the CG facilities are somehow unaware of all those hideous death dealing diseases on the shower floor.... ... and I'll repeat that all of you, no matter how prissy when it comes to CG showers, will use and have used public toilets when away from home rather then squat behind a car and get arrested, or soil your undies.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Why is it OK for tent campers to wash their dishes and every thing else right by the spigot and we can't let our shower water touch the ground?
Just shower water? Where is the greasy smelly dish, pots and pans water going? And tent campers use a little water compared to the 30 to 100 gallons most newer RVs hold. Can you imagine 30 to 50 gallons of stinking gray water being dumped on a campsite over the time you're there? You can buy one of those $29 shower stalls and set in on your site. Shower in that. I never saw anyone at the CGs say anything to the people. Is the smelly greasy dish water no one wants dumped on the sites.

Quote:
I will wash dirty dishes with the outside shower and never get looked at twice but I can't tell you how many times a park ranger has walked up to the side of our camper (in different parks) to check that the extra garden hose is not draining grey water on the ground. Once I was asked (can't remember where) to let the grey run as there had been a drought and the surface needed all the water it could get. I think it was a COE park.
I never had that experience and we have a Y at the water spigot also. I never even heard of a CG that would suggest someone allow their GW to run over the ground.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We always have a second hose connected to fill the little portable ice maker we take along and set outside. Have never been questioned about it.

About the gray water. A CG we stay in every year has no sewer but does provide a honey wagon n/c for 90+ day campers. The problem is that it is one time a week and almost no ones gray tank will last that long using the shower. I don't believe there are enough CG showers to accommodate everyone so that wouldn't work. The answer is to run it onto the ground. It has to go directly out since storing it makes it stink so about everyone has a short garden hose attached to drizzle it out. I can't say I have ever smelled anything and I pretty sure the 5 rigs in our little group all do it. The ground is usually pretty dry so it gets sucked right up. Today's soap is all biodegradable, lets face it they wash oil soaked birds courtesy of BP with Dawn dish soap. The management seems to turn a blind eye to it since they know the deal and sewers are coming soon. Well one of these years.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #93

Quote:
It irks me when some people claim the don't use, WOULD NOT USE the CG's showers
I don't know why you would take it so personal. I am well into my sixth decade living. I have traveled since I left home at 15, much of the travel outside the US and now half time in an rv. I could count the number of times I have sat on a public toilet on my fingers, and used a public shower so few times I can remember them all. My reasons are personal and private. I sure would not expect someone to get irked over a personal choice that harms no one else.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #94

We've been tent / pop-up campers since I was a kid and for the past 28 years of married life. We just moved up to a travel trailer with bathroom. I have no interest in changing my shower routine. Everything I need is in my shower bag; I have plenty of room at the bath house; gave up the worry about privacy years ago. If someone wants to peak at my 57 year old body, whatever!

We allow use of the toilet for nighttime and early morning only, except my 87 yo mother who is allowed to use it anytime. We do not have sewer access; have to use the honey wagon. If we had all 5 of us using the toilet, sink, and shower daily, we'd be emptying daily. My mother and father, who had a seasonal site at the CG for 23 used the bathhouse regularly. Only in his last years, when he was frail and falling alot, did my father start to use the trailer shower and toilet. They had a gray water tank buried in the ground, but no sewer hook-up.
monica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
The management seems to turn a blind eye to it since they know the deal and sewers are coming soon. Well one of these years.
The places we stay explicitly say no wastewater is to be dumped on the ground, except for tent campers. One private place near Cooperstown NY had special sinks outside the bathroom/shower building for dish washing for the campers. The water didn't run over the ground.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica4 View Post
We've been tent / pop-up campers since I was a kid and for the past 28 years of married life. We just moved up to a travel trailer with bathroom. I have no interest in changing my shower routine. Everything I need is in my shower bag; I have plenty of room at the bath house; gave up the worry about privacy years ago. If someone wants to peak at my 57 year old body, whatever!
There you go! Who cares in another woman takes a peek at me? At 67 I'm certainly not going to make her jealous. BTW, I've never been in a CG shower that didn't have a door that closes or a good curtain for privacy. All we take to the showers with us are our shower-shoes, clean clothes including a towel and wash cloths, body wash and shampoo and a few small items. It all fits in an easy to carry bag.

Quote:
We allow use of the toilet for nighttime and early morning only, except my 87 yo mother who is allowed to use it anytime. We do not have sewer access; have to use the honey wagon. If we had all 5 of us using the toilet, sink, and shower daily, we'd be emptying daily. My mother and father, who had a seasonal site at the CG for 23 used the bathhouse regularly. Only in his last years, when he was frail and falling alot, did my father start to use the trailer shower and toilet. They had a gray water tank buried in the ground, but no sewer hook-up.
With 5 people, the tanks would indeed need daily dumping. In that case, it's finding a CG with full hookups or use the CG facilities.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I don't know why you would take it so personal. I am well into my sixth decade living. I have traveled since I left home at 15, much of the travel outside the US and now half time in an rv. I could count the number of times I have sat on a public toilet on my fingers, and used a public shower so few times I can remember them all. My reasons are personal and private. I sure would not expect someone to get irked over a personal choice that harms no one else.
Maybe it's not what they write, but how they word it that irks me. I know everyone, every human being must relieve themselves several times a day. This is natural and you can't get around it. Unless they do nothing but sit at home all day, or only leave their homes for a very short period of time, or hide in an alleyway, they are forced to use public toilets. What of working people? Didn't you have a job at some point? Certainly you didn't run home every time you had to "go." You may not have "sat" on a public toilet, but you have used them.

So when they brag that they would NEVER use a public toilet (inferring they never have either) I know darn well they will indeed use a public toilet if away from home and having a dire need for the facilities, and have.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #98

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you think you can or can't, you are right.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do.

I used to have little round buttons of each one of those sayings!

Now I know that nothing is as it seems and that conjecture, speculation, and jumping to conclusions seem to be a baseline in inter-personal communications these days, no matter what the forum. I catch myself jumping to conclusions all the time, and also catch others reciting as fact what they only guess or deduct.

I for sure now realize I didn't know anywhere near as much as I thought I did, and the older I get, the more I realize how little I knew. This is all, of course, in my humble opinion....

I'm sorry to see people having to be cut off by the moderators for becoming so nasty. We are all human beings, for the most part trying to help others. Judgement is for the Lord, not for people, unless you are a judge that is....

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower