Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Why does everybody think Res frig is better?

As someone who has been in the housing business for more years than I care to think about that has seen sooooooooo many residential refers fail after just a few years I wonder why so many think this is such a great fix for RV ones that last 10 to 15 years?????

If you get that out of todays quality residential frigs you did great. I just replaced a Samsung that cost me $7,800 it's a 48" frig that is 5 years old out of warrantee and unrepairable and well out of warrantee. Looking at my 2004 Beaver with a frig that is still working after 13 years and trying to understand why people feel residential is the end all be all?????
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #2

Personal choice.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

7,800 for a 48" Samsung. Wow, wish I had been the salesperson who sold that
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
As someone who has been in the housing business for more years than I care to think about that has seen sooooooooo many residential refers fail after just a few years I wonder why so many think this is such a great fix for RV ones that last 10 to 15 years?????

If you get that out of todays quality residential frigs you did great. I just replaced a Samsung that cost me $7,800 it's a 48" frig that is 5 years old out of warrantee and unrepairable and well out of warrantee. Looking at my 2004 Beaver with a frig that is still working after 13 years and trying to understand why people feel residential is the end all be all?????
Because the new ones the RV/propane don't last as long as 15 years ! Had two service guys say they "don't make them like they used to plus At least most and are a fire hazard to this day with norcold doing nothing to redesign except adding a shut off if it overheats .. Hopefully.
Modern residential in a RV are smaller less than a thousand not 7500 ! And it's 3500 + for a new norcold 1200!!
the newer residentials sip electricity and are insulated better. My 13 year old beaver norcold struggles at 80-90 to keep anything frozen or even think of making ice.
Of course this is all just my opinion biased on personal exp and what I've read ..but you asked 😉
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
7,800 for a 48" Samsung. Wow, wish I had been the salesperson who sold that
The sub-zero was a lot more at the time and were getting bad reviews. It has full computer on the door with news weather updates and all that useless crap, lol. It was a nice refer up until it decided not to work anymore. 48" refers are not cheap.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #6

Well, for one thing, our Norcold died - didn't like it anyway. We wanted a residential fridge, so we got one. I don't spend a lot of time justifying some things I want. If I want them, then most times, and if they are in some form of reason, I get them. I assure you our Samsung for the MH didn't cost NEAR $7,800.00...something like $1,000 plus install. It's not a huge one - 18 cu. ft, but is more than adequate for our needs. Our experience with a residential vs. a RV fridge has been the residential wins hands down - some things just can't be explained - we just like it better. But that's OUR experience.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Because the new ones the RV/propane don't last as long as 15 years ! Had two service guys say they "don't make them like they used to plus At least most and are a fire hazard to this day with norcold doing nothing to redesign except adding a shut off if it overheats .. Hopefully.
Modern residential in a RV are smaller less than a thousand not 7500 ! And it's 3500 + for a new norcold 1200!!
the newer residentials sip electricity and are insulated better. My 13 year old beaver norcold struggles at 80-90 to keep anything frozen or even think of making ice.
Of course this is all just my opinion biased on personal exp and what I've read ..but you asked 😉
I think even a residential would have trouble keeping cool at 80-90 temps. But the newer RV ones could be cheaper so that makes sense.

I hope people do not think that after removing the windshield, modifying the cabinet space that a residential will be that much better. They wont. Res frigs do NOT like being turned on and off at all. Not to mention were never designed to take the abuse an RV takes one the road. They may work just fine in some applications but were not designed or built for this use.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:

For me I don't need to run on propane or 12v only run on electric and don't want to wait 8 hours for a refrigerator to start cooling compressor refrigerator for me
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Well, for one thing, our Norcold died - didn't like it anyway. We wanted a residential fridge, so we got one. I don't spend a lot of time justifying some things I want. If I want them, then most times, and if they are in some form of reason, I get them. I assure you our Samsung for the MH didn't cost NEAR $7,800.00...something like $1,000 plus install. It's not a huge one - 18 cu. ft, but is more than adequate for our needs. Our experience with a residential vs. a RV fridge has been the residential wins hands down - some things just can't be explained - we just like it better. But that's OUR experience.
Of course it is a personal choice and I wouldn't expect someone to install a 48" custom refer in a motor home it is the point that even Samsungs signature refer can fail making it no better or worse than an RV refer. A res frig in an RV is no silver bullet is my point. They are no better and no worse than RV frigs. From what I have read it seems people feel after making this swap that's it our refer is good for life.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We camp at lakes during the summer, when the temperature exceeds 100 the RV fridge doesn't work well at all. I installed a residential fridge and no more issues 😉 This was on our Fiesta before we bought the Expedition.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

For now, i prefer the 2 way frig. Dry camping can be done with a residential but it definitely requires more planning. Myself, i don't like running the genset when we're camping. Depending on the weather and other things, we can go a much longer time between battery recharges than we could with an inverter powered frig.

Ours is the original, going on 15 years, and so far (i'm knocking on wood) it's worked great. This is the 2nd Norcold we've had, the first we had for close to 8 years with no problems either.

Since we don't routinely dry camp as often these days, who knows, i might think about going residential if this one decides to go out.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

What make refrigerator do you have in your Beaver? If it is Norcold are you aware of the class action lawsuit because they tend to catch fire? There are several recall notices out on the Norcold.
http://www.thetford.com/customer-sup...ormation/Heare is anouther link.
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/dometi...ions-and-fires

If it quits it is expensive to repair about $500.00 for the cooling unit. A 12 cubic foot like I had replacement cost is over $3,424.76 + labor to install. The Samsung That I had wanted to install ( Samsung 33 in. W 17.5 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth
Model# RF18HFENBSR) for $980.00 Unfortunately I couldn't fit it into my original space as I lacked about 5" in height. I ended up putting a 12 cu foot Sears unit in for about $500.00 including the icemaker.
I had a domectic that worked great till it blew all the coolant out. Now I have a refrigerator that gets cold quickly makes more ice than I can use. I also have less concerns about it catching fire.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty & Yani View Post
We camp at lakes during the summer, when the temperature exceeds 100 the RV fridge doesn't work well at all. I installed a residential fridge and no more issues 😉
100 in the coach? Wow that's hot I would sleep in my truck with the A/C on. lol
Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
your funny, the outside temperature 🤣