Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #127

Vintage RV Owners Club

WOW, Jim!!!!! Ten posts in a row!!!!

I think that breaks the old record set by a member that shall Remain Nameless...

Whatch'all got against the "Multi+quote" button, anyway?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #128

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Well I stand corrected...but trust me..the fleet of trucks I manage each day we make sure that they merge at the correct speed and we monitor this via our GPS on each truck and a number to call on the back...

If you cannot merge into traffic in a reasonable way I am not going into the left lane and hit someone else..I will just deal with the damage...this happened where 95 meets 495 in Virginia years ago...pulling my dragbike trailer behind my C class at that time somone tried to cut into me at a merge point...they lost...yes my trailer was damaged...and they had to pay for it..I could not go left as there were trucks in that lane traveling much faster than I..
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #129
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
Still live in PA and no they do not..State requires those on the on ramps to Yield...here in York not to bad...but Philly...oh my god is it rough..
They don't call it the SureKill expressway for nothin'!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #130

One should remember WHO has the yield sign. And I believe , that they are afraid they may crash into the white line .
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Because last time I got t-boned, the insurance said it was 20% my fault.. They said there is ALWAYS something you could have done to mitigate the accident.. Always.
They're absolutely right. You could have changed insurance companies to one that would have stood up for you and told the other insurance company bark up another tree.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #132

Very interesting topic. When joining recently I didn't realize topics would get this involved. I certainly have the same experience as most of you do with merging traffic. However, I have never encountered these merging traffic lights. As I see it, traveling down a highway, these lights are only on the on ramps, maybe why I've never seen them.?
Route 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #133

Idiots have raised idiots

nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
This week I had a car sit on their horn since they could not get in. There was plenty of room ahead or behind me. They instead set pace with me and got mad since i did not slow down to let them in. Once they got in they went about a half mile and suddenly turned in to a store. Guess they did get me to slow down
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #134

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Many folks misinterpret this law. While stopping before you turn right is mandatory, actually turning right after you stop is optional.

In any of the 5 boroughs of NYC there is no such thing as "Right on Red". Just in case you should ever get there.
Though the phrase "Your millage may vary" truly applies to laws. which do indeed vary from state to state and even city to city...

You are (in some places at least) mistaken.

Though I failed to find it in a search of the Michigan Vehicle code, I do recall a requiement that a car in a "right lane must turn right" lane, MUST turn (unless there is a sign prohibiting) when traffic allows.

However a complete search fails to find that now, It may have been written out before my last download of the vehicle code.. Laws do change from time to time.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #135

KZ RV Club
We just made it through LA traffic a few days ago. People do not realize what it takes to slow down a 42 foot coach towing a pick up truck! Absolutely crazy.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Much citing of traffic law, and much opinion, but there is one thing I have not read here. The 3 second, or 1 car length for every 10 mph, rules for traffic. If the proper was space left in between vehicles, this discussion would probably not even be here. Now I do know this spacing of traffic will never happen. I drove a (VERY loaded) heavy equipment service truck in and around Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia, for over 20 years. Not enough distance between vehicles ever. My 'merge / yield' rule was given to me by a 30 year veteran of the DC traffic. 'The one with the most lug nuts wins'. I never had a mishap driving my service truck in and around DC. The DC traffic is second only to L.A. for traffic jams, long commute time, and bad drivers. When driving in DC with a truck that will hardly get out of its own way you learn quickly how to merge into heavy traffic. Come off the ramp (maybe only 15 -20 mph) as fast as you are able, with the turn signal on, floor the throttle, and pick your merge point. Do your best to keep pace with that opening. Once you have paced that opening for three flashes of the turn signal, on the third flash, put your wheels on the white line and slowly, very slowly, watching the guy you are pulling in behind, and make your own hole. Drivers really do not want to hit you, they just want to prove a point. Not the friendliest method but it works. Keeping in mind the 'lug nut rule' when picking your opening. If you really want to drive those around you nuts, leave the turn signal flashing for a mile or so. (just kidding) I would never do that intentionally.

This discussion was just for fun anyway, wasn't it? Seems to me the biggest problem is people do not pay attention to their driving. When you are driving, that is your only job. Not the radio, cd player, phone, the GPS, other people, the scenery, or that real odd looking car 2 lanes over. Just drive the @#$% vehicle!

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #137

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
I live in Pa and our state driving rule book is to enter the highway at a speed which will allow you to enter traffic at a safe place. Riding Motorcycle on the highway for over 41 years has made me aware to give room when I can. But I am not on my motorcycle or on a 52 ft long Rv and Trailer going to jump into the left lane and cause something more serious that that person on the on ramp from putting down the phone, drink item or something else to pay attention.

I become agressive when someone trys to hurt me for no reason...its happened many times while on my motorcycle and I lost a friend with me many years ago when he was pushed into the left lane and killed by another car not paying attention. When I drive my personal car, truck or motorcycle I always give room to any vehicle as I can. But trying to stop 26,000 lbs in a moment does not happen. I always give 8 car lengths in front of me so I can stop if needed.

I ride my motorcycles with police officers and paramedics...we see this all the time...Motorcycles are a ignored on the highway...so I my RV there is no reason you can miss me...

Bill
For the last post where he mentioned spacing..I give as much space as possible...they keep trying to fill it up...so again slow down some more and get more spacing..Been driving my work vehicle in Baltimore, DC and Philly for over 35 years...not one accident...and not ever an accident in 40 years that was my fault...riding my motorcycle since I was 16 on the roads has given me a different vision than most.....always looking everywhere..
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #138

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

WOW, Jim!!!!! Ten posts in a row!!!!

I think that breaks the old record set by a member that shall Remain Nameless...

Whatch'all got against the "Multi+quote" button, anyway?
If I multi-quoted over 9 pages, I would forget why I quoted them by the end..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
"right lane must turn right"
I've always wondered. Does this mean that cars in other lanes "can" turn right?

Thinking about it, they can and do.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #140

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I'd settle for them hanging up the cell phone
In most states in the Northeast, talking on your cell phone while driving is against the law. So when I see someone doing it (whether I am in our VW Tiguan or behind the wheel of the motorhome). I take a picture of them with my Android Phone, Call the State Police (*77) and then send them the photo.

Ok so maybe I wish I could do that ...

Distracted drivers - cell talking or texting - really irritate me. Heck, even with bluetooth capability in the car and a bluetooth earpiece that I *could* use in the motorhome, I never answer the phone when in the car. It can't be that important that you can't leave me a voicemail and wait for my return call.

And texting while driving, I have called out more than one person when I have been a passenger in a car - to the point of "stop texting or let me out here" ... and the sad part, one of the offenders is an EMT. That person should know better than anyone else.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote