Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #155

Vintage RV Owners Club
Interesting video...

Onramps are evidently a 21st century/four wheeled version of two bull elk in a field!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Interesting video...

Onramps are evidently a 21st century/four wheeled version of two bull elk in a field!
(John Wayne voice) That's about the size of it, sister.
No good sense to it due to rage, testosterone or lack thereof

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #157

I love the ones that drive down the merge ramp and don't look at all. Look over at the last minute and have a look of shock on their faces when they see a 40,000 lb motor home in the way.

The OP talked about aggressive behaviour. IMHO driving courtesy has declined significantly in the last 40 years. Part of the problem is that we have so many more people here in this country that came from places where driving courtesy is unknown, and chaos is what takes place on the streets. Any one ever driven in Mexico?
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #158

National RV Owners Club
This post sure did get big in a short time. Someone may have already expressed my opinion, so I apologize in advance if I'm a bit redundant. Didn't have time to read every reply.

My thought is that there are a lot of people that will move over, slow down, or speed up to let someone merge into traffic. I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just that person trying to be a little safer, or more courteous. It seems pretty common. I think that the people that get ticked off in the merge lane because someone doesn't let them over have become accustomed to that courtesy and now expect it when it's not due.

For anyone that beeps at me or gets mad because I don't let you in, settle down and behave. I'll let you over if I can without disrupting the flow of traffic already on the freeway. The merge lane is for YOU to merge whether you do it with the gas peddle or the brake.

Be safe out there!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
This post sure did get big in a short time. Someone may have already expressed my opinion, so I apologize in advance if I'm a bit redundant. Didn't have time to read every reply.

My thought is that there are a lot of people that will move over, slow down, or speed up to let someone merge into traffic. I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just that person trying to be a little safer, or more courteous. It seems pretty common. I think that the people that get ticked off in the merge lane because someone doesn't let them over have become accustomed to that courtesy and now expect it when it's not due.

For anyone that beeps at me or gets mad because I don't let you in, settle down and behave. I'll let you over if I can without disrupting the flow of traffic already on the freeway. The merge lane is for YOU to merge whether you do it with the gas peddle or the brake.

Be safe out there!
I think you summed it up for the vast majority of drivers. It's a small minority that actually ignore driving laws.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #160

Thor Owners Club
Lack of 'merge' practice is also a fault of the state the driver was trained in as some entrance lanes have a YIELD sign at the end. You could argue, then, that the drivers on the highway only need to 'steer'--not drive (and disregard those trying to enter). It's dangerous when the merging vehicle has to stop at the end of the lane because the sign says YIELD and no one is allowing him in--that needs to be changed.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #161

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I usually hold my pace. If they continue to hold my pace I will tap the air horn, that will wake them up and they will speed up. I usually will merge a freeway or highway at the posted speed. I never have any problems. Another problem is a round-a-bout. A lot of people do not know what right of way stands for.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Mohos are just huge obstructions that nobody in a car wants to get behind.

And I'd bet big money that this sentiment is shared by every driver on this site when they're behind the wheel of an ordinary vehicle!
I don't like getting "stuck" behind a motor home when I am in my car/truck/motorcycle, but when I do have the misfortune of being in that position I still give the RVer a wide berth. As a RV enthusiast, I understand that driving a building in traffic is a little unnerving at times.

As for me...I drive the right lane and let them in whenever possible. I don't have a lot of drive time on the open road yet, but I have a lot of city miles...driving back and forth from my dealer getting warranty work done.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #163

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm probably gonna take a lot of heat for this but my experience has been the vast majority of people who don't know how to merge properly are driving Minivans.
It's gotten to the point that when I see one meandering down the entrance ramp I expect the worst and I'm often not wrong. Maybe they're distracted by a van full of kids or they're just yakking amongst themselves without paying attention, but it happens more often than not that I have to take some type of defensive action to avoid an unpleasant "meeting" at the merge point.
My apologies to any Minivan owners this may have offended.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #164

Monaco Owners Club
I rode bikes when I was younger and believe if we put ALL drivers on motorcycles during the first 90 days of driving we'll have much more courteous and safe drivers !!!

(at least those that survive will be )

When on a bike I had a tendency to always be on the lookout for an 'OUT' or
to be a fortune teller to predict what that minivan is going to do and
to watch the driver as I pulled up along side them...

If possible, I never gave the other driver the 'opportunity' to hit me
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #165

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't knwo the one who most scared me was driving a pick up with snow plow.

I read the chart.. Nothing in my esperience suggests it is correct..
One of the things I ask the accident investigators is this.. When measuring skid marks to determine vehicle speed, Do you use a different formula for cars and semi trucks.

Answer: NO. (provided all wheels are braking)

Thus, the chart, which shows different stopping distances. ...

Well there is one factor my quesiton does not address. that might account for it. but it only applies to air brakes on a semi, it does not apply to motor homes at all.

on a Semi there is a precision delay before the trailer brakes engage.. Just how long that delay is is in the commercial driver's training manual, which I have read, but since I do not have (nor do I have plans to get) a CDL. I did not give it my full attention. (I do suggest you get one though and keep it with you .. Comes in handy if you ever have to lay flairs/triangles at an accident/breakdown scene. Yup, that's the instruciton manual for that)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #166

Monaco Owners Club
Most driver's today have no clue as to the proper method of merging into freeway lanes. It was taught to me in Driver's Education class that I took back in high school in the early 60's.

Nowadays, people drive like they are the only ones on the road and it is THEIR road.

I almost always will be driving the RH lane. My rig is larger and longer than a typical OTR trucker would be driving. When I encounter someone attempting to merge, if the lane next to me is open I will move over and then move back when the RH lane is clear. If not, then they have the option of either speeding up to merge in front or slowing down to merge in back. Only once on the I-10 freeway where I had to WAKE UP one driver with my air horn to the fact that they will not be able to merge. They immediately slammed on the brakes when they ran out of pavement.

In most cases, when they see the size of my rig they quickly realize that they will not win when attempting to occupy the same space on the highway.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #167

Country Coach Owners Club
Lenghts stinks and seconds not much better

I try to maintain a good distance between the traffic ahead, but the jerks around me think it an invite for them to fill the void!! If they see some room the fill it in . Sometimes at that rate I am going backward......... I just work hard to stay away from heavy traffic, retired no time table , haven't put on a watch in 6 months
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #168

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I don't knwo the one who most scared me was driving a pick up with snow plow.

I read the chart.. Nothing in my esperience suggests it is correct..
One of the things I ask the accident investigators is this.. When measuring skid marks to determine vehicle speed, Do you use a different formula for cars and semi trucks.

Answer: NO. (provided all wheels are braking)
That is a correct statement. Remember, the investigator is measuring skid marks or sometimes tire shadow. The length of skid marks and tire shadow indicate vehicle speed before impact, not overall stopping distance. You answered your own question here.

Quote:
Thus, the chart, which shows different stopping distances. ...

Well there is one factor my quesiton does not address. that might account for it. but it only applies to air brakes on a semi, it does not apply to motor homes at all.
You're getting warm.

Quote:
on a Semi there is a precision delay before the trailer brakes engage.. Just how long that delay is is in the commercial driver's training manual, which I have read, but since I do not have (nor do I have plans to get) a CDL. I did not give it my full attention. (I do suggest you get one though and keep it with you .. Comes in handy if you ever have to lay flairs/triangles at an accident/breakdown scene. Yup, that's the instruciton manual for that)
You were close. All long wheel based vehicles with air brakes are equipped with relay valves. The relay valves do create a split second delay between the time the driver actually applies the foot valve and the time any braking action actually takes place. This is to ensure that the brakes on all wheels are applied simultaneously. If not for the relay valves, brakes closest to the foot valve would engage first. If the trailer brakes were to apply after the tractor brakes are applied it would likely result in a jack-knife.

At a highway speed of 60 mph a vehicle is covering 88 feet per second. The chart indicated a total stopping for a car or light truck to be 303 feet and for a truck a total stopping distance of 361 feet. A difference of 58 feet or .65 seconds. Results are going to differ depending on any given driver's reflexes and reaction time.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote