Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #211
MDJ

Merging Traffic

I'm confused?? If you observe professional drivers (like truck drivers) you will notice that around merge zones they will almost always move out of the slow/merge lane and into the lane just to their left. 1). This greatly simplifies the process for the merging traffic. 2). Reduces the hazard and stress of having to track the merging traffic and maneuver your vehicle to sequence them in. 3). Is just good sensible defensive driving practice. Whether you have the right to be in the slow/merge lane or not I can't understand who would want to be there in metro or heavy traffic periods. Life's too short - who needs the stress of that??

mdj

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #212

What happens when you need to get back over? Sometimes when you're nice enough to let people merge, they don't speed up or slow down, and then you're left stuck trying get back in you the slow lane so that you can get off at the next exit.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #213

seems to me that if you are getting off at the next exit you can do whatever it takes to help people merge with little to no impact on your schedule......
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #214

Seems to me that the whole merging deal is a catch 22. Either way, slowing down, speeding up, or just maintaining your speed, people always seem to end driving right along beside me until the last sec,...then I'm in a bad situation, or they are.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #215

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ View Post
I'm confused?? If you observe professional drivers (like truck drivers) you will notice that around merge zones they will almost always move out of the slow/merge lane and into the lane just to their left. 1). This greatly simplifies the process for the merging traffic. 2). Reduces the hazard and stress of having to track the merging traffic and maneuver your vehicle to sequence them in. 3). Is just good sensible defensive driving practice. Whether you have the right to be in the slow/merge lane or not I can't understand who would want to be there in metro or heavy traffic periods. Life's too short - who needs the stress of that??

mdj
Professional drivers are taught to keep their gaze up and far ahead. This enables them to plan ahead for merging traffic and see events unfold on the highway long before they arrive on the scene. They are also taught to drive in the lane of least resistance. You hit the nail on the head with all three statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
What happens when you need to get back over? Sometimes when you're nice enough to let people merge, they don't speed up or slow down, and then you're left stuck trying get back in you the slow lane so that you can get off at the next exit.
When getting off at the very next exit a driver of a large heavy vehicle should never should have left the right lane to begin with. What's he going to do, race the merging vehicle to the next off ramp? It really down't take that much for us to take our feet off of the throttle for the few seconds it takes another vehicle to merge. In moderate to heavy traffic they will only be in front of you for a second anyway before they move to one of the higher speed lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
seems to me that if you are getting off at the next exit you can do whatever it takes to help people merge with little to no impact on your schedule......
I agree. This method is always the best practice. We are only talking about seconds. In certain cases you may even save time by just letting the other guy in. It also decreases stress. Decreased stress means less fatigue. If you are a driver who is constantly stressed out behind the wheel a 350 mile day will cause you to arrive at your destination totally whipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
Seems to me that the whole merging deal is a catch 22. Either way, slowing down, speeding up, or just maintaining your speed, people always seem to end driving right along beside me until the last sec,...then I'm in a bad situation, or they are.
Keeping your gaze up and as far ahead as you can see is beneficial for a number of reasons. It allows you time to plan for merging traffic. It allows you time to take evasive action in the event of an emergency. This practice also helps you to keep your vehicle centered in your lane. Most of us were never taught this when we learned to drive and it's a hard thing to get used to. But once you have mastered it you will be amazed at how stress free driving will become. This has always been my experience. Even though I'm quoting Bigg-limo, I'm just using his statement as a general example of what we are up against when operating high profile vehicles.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #216

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiebug View Post
..... Then there are the directions of how to properly load the dishwasher. Everything I put in that thing gets just as clean when I load it as it does when he loads it. Amen.

NOW you are starting a battle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYone knows the most efficient way to load a dishwasher is like dishes together
you know, LIKE IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL THAT SHE DIDN'T READ !!!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #217

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
NOW you are starting a battle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYone knows the most efficient way to load a dishwasher is like dishes together
you know, LIKE IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL THAT SHE DIDN'T READ !!!

"She" didn't read????

Since when do men read manuals for any other reason than to look for the 800 number to call and Demand Justice after the object is already broken???

Next thing you know, someone will post to say that men ask for directions when traveling...

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Next thing you know, someone will post to say that men ask for directions when traveling...

Men don't need to ask directions. They know how to read a map and actually know which way is North, South, East and West.....
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #219

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Men don't need to ask directions. They know how to read a map and actually know which way is North, South, East and West.....
There- you see?

Men are born knowing everything about Manly-type things...why would they consult something as trivial as "the directions" in a dishwasher manual???

I rest my case...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #220

Monaco Owners Club
I always thought the most efficient way to load the dishwasher was to stick her in the passenger seat and buckle her seatbelt.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's time for someone to show up and add that their "dishwasher" is 5'4".

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #222

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
It's time for someone to show up and add that their "dishwasher" is 5'4".
My dishwasher is 5'11"....

He was 6'4" when I met him, but I soon cut him down to size....
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #223

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My dishwasher is 5'11"....

He was 6'4" when I met him, but I soon cut him down to size....
Ha! I'll bet you did!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #224

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

"She" didn't read????

Since when do men read manuals for any other reason than to look for the 800 number to call and Demand Justice after the object is already broken???

Men don need to stop.. Men can program the GPS