Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #239

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

You do realize that the above...suggestion? confession?...is not only completely insane, it's also illegal...right????
Works though.

RE the topic: I move over to allow the "MERGE" lane to enter anytime I can, if I can't, I don't. It's their problem. I don't want to be a horse's posterior, but unless I see some signage or written law that says I must stop/slow down to let them in they are on their own. I appreciate it when someone moves over to let me in if I am trying to merge, but I don't hold it against them if they don't.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #240

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Works though.
Why stop there?

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #241

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ View Post
OK but one last thought on merging traffic. For the arrogant Beemer type driver who refuses to let you merge back into the right lane try this: Turn on your signal so they know your intentions. If they ignore you, move over a couple of feet to the right. If they continue to ignore you move another foot or so to the right. They'll scatter cockroaches when the lights are flipped on. Driving next to a mass such as a coach is as daunting and intimidating as it gets when that mass is headed your way. I consider myself a courteous driver and will always be a good samaritan on the road. I don't even get mad when someone does something stupid, but I have no patience for rudeness on the road. A little calculated and controlled intimidation always seems to work for me when some sob isn't willing to give up a little space on the off-ramp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
If you drive the interstates as much as I have; this is the action that you must take unless you want to play tag with the 50,000 LB 18 wheeler thats right beside you.

You do realize that if you tried that with me, I will sit there and let you hit me, then you would be completely to blame and will pay for me the rest of my life, correct? With some others, I am sure you prolly wouldnt survive long enough for the police to arrive...

I was going through Chicago once when they were working on the Dan Ryan. We were 3 lanes plus 2 merging lanes all trying to stuff ourselves into one lane around midnight. Having already been in traffic for 3-4 hours tempers were high. One such guy was in a work van with his buddy. They snaked and bullied thier way into and up the line until they got to me. Now, I was in a 45' Bugdet rental truck and wasnt going to move even if I had wanted too. They beeped and honked and cursed and threatened until finally they just tried to push thier way in, with the results you would image there would be when two vehicles tried to occupy the same space at the same time. Now, while it wasnt that bad and both vehicles could still move, one of the guys decided it was time to 'teach me a lesson'. Didnt work out like he planed, so we just sat there unable to move and making traffic worse. Cops showed up after a while, took notes, and sent us on our ways. Next day, the guys boss calls and want to know what happened. I explained and he begged me not to sue and he would take care of the damages to my truck. i had to tel him that Budget owned the truck and I was only renting it. It cost me all of $9 for an accident wiaver and that Budget would be calling him I suppose. So, for being a jerk, 2 vehicles were damaged, a nose was busted, people were delayed by hours, 2 guys got fired, one got community service (to go with the nose), and a small business got sued. All because someone couldnt merge correctly..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #242

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Because that is more than "a little", which is what was mentioned in the first post.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #243

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Because that is more than "a little", which is what was mentioned in the first post.
The trouble is, once the first bull starts pawing the ground, what makes him think that the second bull isn't going to get all rarin'....?

And as shown in the Real, True Documentary I referred you to, the biggest bull ain't always the winner!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #244

I try to gauge my speed with their speed if I can see them early enough. There are some ramps that you cannot see what is coming on until it is to late. In those cases they will just have to wait.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #245

Monaco Owners Club
This thread still going ?!?!

WOW - let's start again
Old 01-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #246

When my wife worked in the Safety Department of a large trucking company, this was the most common subject about which people called the 800 number on the back of the trailer. They had a script for it:

"Thank you for calling ****** *************. We appreciate your concern for the safety of the motoring public and the behavior of our drivers. However, we discourage our drivers from changing lanes to allow merging traffic onto the highway, since our records show every lane change increases the possibility of an accident. In fact, in some states such a lane change is illegal. We do encourage our drivers to adjust their speed in order to make merging safer, however, by law in every state, the vehicle merging onto the freeway is required to yield the right of way, if necessary. Thank you and have a safe day."
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #247
CD

About 20/30 years ago I heard/read from what I thought was a good source that the most or at least one of the most dangerous maneuvers you can make while driving is changing lanes. I often think of that when considering changing lanes. Some times I do and some times I don't.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #248

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stay in the far right lane because I have the cruise control on a comfotable speed which is normally slower than the other cars speeding by. However, If a BIG rig is coming up the ramp then I will gladly move over if possible or slow to allow the BIG rig free movement on because they are usually running through gears like crazy in order to build speed. As for anything else I hold lane and speed. I have had cars drive until they run off into the grass rather than accelerate to pass ahead or slow and pass behind me even when there is no other vehicle behind me in sight. I keep a digital camera at the ready for either me or my DW. I have seen plenty of middle fingers as they finally pass me.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
"Thank you for calling ****** *************. We appreciate your concern for the safety of the motoring public and the behavior of our drivers. However, we discourage our drivers from changing lanes to allow merging traffic onto the highway, since our records show every lane change increases the possibility of an accident. In fact, in some states such a lane change is illegal. We do encourage our drivers to adjust their speed in order to make merging safer, however, by law in every state, the vehicle merging onto the freeway is required to yield the right of way, if necessary. Thank you and have a safe day."
Perfect!!
Route 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
I stay in the far right lane because I have the cruise control on a comfotable speed which is normally slower than the other cars speeding by. However, If a BIG rig is coming up the ramp then I will gladly move over if possible or slow to allow the BIG rig free movement on because they are usually running through gears like crazy in order to build speed. As for anything else I hold lane and speed. I have had cars drive until they run off into the grass rather than accelerate to pass ahead or slow and pass behind me even when there is no other vehicle behind me in sight. I keep a digital camera at the ready for either me or my DW. I have seen plenty of middle fingers as they finally pass me.
2X and can't agree with you more.

By the way, I'll be at Gators Today (Sun) around noon on my Harley going for a great ride. Join us if you can.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #251

I would suggest to all MH drivers - whether you make an effort to get out of the way, or stay the course - get yourself some cheap insurance, in the form of a mobile video recorder. They can be found on eBay (and other online sites) for <$100, and record anytime there is movement. They're small (i.e. deck of playing cards), and require only 12V power.

I purchased several for all my vehicles. They record in full HD (1920x1080 @ 30FPS), include GPS data (i.e. location, heading, speed), and some even include accelerometers and shock sensors which lock the video preceding, during, and after any impact.

Having one for the dash, and one pointing out a DS & PS window will provide solid evidence in the event a collision becomes an episode of 'he-said vs. she-said'.

Further, if you do get one that stamps the video with GPS speed, it's a great way to verify your actual speed, should you be accused of excessive speed...
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #252

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
When my wife worked in the Safety Department of a large trucking company, this was the most common subject about which people called the 800 number on the back of the trailer. They had a script for it:

I think we already disproved the 'law in every state' thing. Several say BOTH are responsible..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote