Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #253

Thor Owners Club
I just stumbled across this thread this morning. Like many here I sometimes think there are plenty of stupid drivers out there and they seem to be attracted to doing stupid manuevers around RV's. I guess that's how many motorcycle drivers feel too. Sometimes I think we should all have to periodically prove (with a driving test) that we know the rules of the road. Driving is a choice we make, a priviledge we are given - not a right that we're born with.

A portion of a earlier post struck a chord with me -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
...The vehicle on the expressway has the right of way....
It's common to say this and think this but I'd like to suggest a slightly different way of thinking about this subject. If you look at laws in various states and review a variety of driver manuals you'll find a general consensus that a particular driver/vehicle/pedestrian does not have the right-of-way. Instead, the other driver/vehicle/pedestrian is to yield the right-of-way. That's why you see YIELD signs, you don't see HAVE signs.

Regardless of who should yield the right-of-way it is paramount that all parties involved do everything within reason to avoid a crash.

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #254

I hate the off ramps that merge with an on ramp. Ok, how we going to do this everyone? We saving on cement here?

sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #255

Freightliner Owners Club
nvestysly: I agree, the entering vehicle is required to yield the right of way to those already on the interstate. But by the same token, the vehicle already established on the expressway should maintain his speed so the entering vehicle knows what to expect. (within reason because there are a significant number drivers who do not know how to merge)

A good friend of ours, ran into a car when merging onto the highway here in Pensacola. "The fool didn't move over and let me in". She apparently been cutting people off every time she merged.
Most of us will not run into someone to prove a point, at least not here on the East Coast.

Where traffic permits I move over 1 lane when approaching merging traffic, when it does not, I try to allow space for them to merge. But if they can't get in - they become yieldees.

But how can one be required to Yield the Right of Way if that does not then confer entitlement to the Right of Way on the other. Therefore you can not take the right of way, you already have it. The Florida Driver's Handbook also only designates who shall give up the Right of Way
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #256

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Again, we have already disproved notion that the traffic on the interstate always has the right of way.. Here is one [tates requirement.. Notic that BOTH vehicles must cooperate to merge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #257

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim:
I'll remember that next time I go through Illinois.. So it seems you are required to yield the right of way unless you want the other guy to. Rock paper scissors anyone..

Actually I think Florida Law also says it's bad form to collide with merging traffic..

Back to the Law of gross tonnage and bigger horn.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #258

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In some other countries that I know of, the person who is ahead gets the right of way. ie: if his front bumper is ahead of yours, you must yield, whether you are the one merging or not. I was taught this way in drivers ed and its the basis of the 'zipper' rule when merging.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #259

Quote:
In some other countries that I know of, the person who is ahead gets the right of way. ie: if his front bumper is ahead of yours, you must yield, whether you are the one merging or not. I was taught this way in drivers ed and its the basis of the 'zipper' rule when merging.
That's what I do in rush hour. Seems like it keeps the flow of traffic moving. Just hate it when people try to squeeze in. They don't like it when I don't let them in,...but oh well.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #260
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey! Ya'll want to have fun go to Japan. First one to honk their horn has the right of way.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #261

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Hey! Ya'll want to have fun go to Japan. First one to honk their horn has the right of way.
Now that sounds like a scary proposition!
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #262

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

That is what I found in Iran when I worked there....
and actually like that solution to a merge....

but first thing I asked is What about the idjut BACKING up on the highway ?

(as I had seen that many times in the first week I was there )

after all, his bumper is in front of mine ...
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #263

The Japanese are very polite drivers. You stick your arm out the window which means basically I am going to do something stupid so please forgive me. Usually it involves merging into traffic. I lived there 5 years and never remember any road rage. There were lots of cars and not much space to drive them. In Japan you are considered a professional driver. Everyone has compulsory insurance, and no matter what, it is your fault if you interfere with a train, bus, taxi, or pedestrians even if they dart out in front of you.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #264

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
That is what I found in Iran when I worked there....
and actually like that solution to a merge....

but first thing I asked is What about the idjut BACKING up on the highway ?

(as I had seen that many times in the first week I was there )

after all, his bumper is in front of mine ...

You argued with a policeman in...gulp...Iran???
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #265

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Sounds like India.. 'Cept its Horn AND Finger!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #266

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

You argued with a policeman in...gulp...Iran???
Yes....

This was a long time ago when I was younger, full of myself, and did not have good long vision (if you will) ...

But my landlord who liked me WAS a 6'4" colonel in the SAVAT and
put some kind of sticker on our car and motorcycles that may have contributed to it !!! Maybe it said "Friends of the Police" ?

Good times riding our YZ400 dirt bikes down the main streets !!!