Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #267

One of the first purchases for my truck and 40 ft 5er was a set of Grover air horns and an on board air compressor. 120 DB of horns usually wakes them up and quite often soils their under ware. When those horns are heard people, no matter what they are driving, take notice.
-Paul R. Haller-

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #268

Newmar Owners Club
I don't mind moving over in the motorhome for merging traffic but when I do, I usually encounter a problem getting back into the right lane. I drive slightly slower than the speed limit and before I can get back right, cars start passing me on the right. I then become an obstacle for traffic flow. My solution is to stay in the right lane and adjust my speed slightly to allow merging traffic to merge around me.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #269

Country Coach Owners Club
Jillie that sounds fine, but the drivers i usually encounter would put you almost at a standstill.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #270

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf
Jillie that sounds fine, but the drivers i usually encounter would put you almost at a standstill.
Happened to me once. Lady pulled out in front of me from the ramp and slowed down to 35 mph. Maybe it frightened her when she checked her rear view mirror and saw my grill closing on her. ;-)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #271

I have been following this thread since it was started and quite frankly am apalled at some of the viewpoints expressed. 40 years ago on my first trip to Texas driving an eighteen wheeler I saw what I call the Texas transportation motto. " DRIVE FRIENDLY ". I have tried to follow this as I have driven millions of miles over the years. If I have the room I move over, if not I ease up to let some one in. So I lose a place in line, if I am in that big of a hurry I'll fly.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #272

I know that aside from big rigs, in an RV we are bigger than most of the other traffic we encounter on the road.
The bottom line is 90% of the drivers in 4 wheelers ie cars/pickups and suv's have NO idea how long it takes to pull up a decent size RV or how frustrating it can be trying to build speed and change back into the right lane, just so we don't cause more of an inconvenience for general traffic, after allowing them in to our lane, yes "ours" we were there ahead of them, They are the merging traffic.
They are the one's who are supposed to under traffic law "match speed and merge" with US...
Im sure your seeing the point.
However, to this end we have to be the better driver, the more gracious driver and forgive them their ignorance.

When I enter a freeway or interstate im always aware I am the one entering the arena, its MY responsibility to match and merge, I do not expect other drivers to have to slow for me so I can enter, THEY ARE THE FLOW not me.

However I'm always stunned at the number of drivers who have no idea that an "on ramp" is normally a down hill run to assist in building speed, so you can match speed and merge.
Instead they come down the ramp, slow down and hesitate, then they hop on slowly in front of fast moving traffic and then try "sometimes" to build speed.

Or they fail to understand that "off-ramps" are often uphill to aid in washing off speed to return to general residential /bi-road speeds or to stop.

I assume that as in my home country the correct use of on an off ramps is not taught in driving lessons or driving schools here.
I cant work out WHY NOT, performing this rudimentary driving technique wrongly is more than rude, it down right dangerous and yet its not taught.

So we make allowances and slow down & let them in, stalling the mainstream flow of traffic, because Mrs Jones is entering the freeway.

Ive even had them stop and wave me on, when im already on the freeway or interstate, why didn't they just speed up and get out in front of me.
Others we have nearly rear ended because they just sowed down right at the bottom of the ON ramp and then still wandered on in front of us at 45 mph while we were bearing down on them at 65
Driving a vehicle 5 times their size and weighing 8 times as much.

Sorry I will always be wary of them, give them room, But I will never understand why they do it and yes a few of them will get a 140 db warning long, loud and excuse me I was here first...
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #273

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like to drive about 55 mph. Good for mileage and gives me adequate reaction time for something ahead of me. I stay in the slow, right hand lane.

Someone is now in the on-ramp, to my right: I judge what they are up to: zoom ahead; or get in behind me. I have the option to back off the accelerator if they want to zoom ahead.

If they are keeping pace with me and a problem is on the horizon, I will glance in my driver's mirror and see what's what. I MIGHT go into the next lane if I am 200 percent is it OK. If not, I stand my ground. What I do not like is to go over to a lane that I had previously judged OK and find some Yahoo in a small, asphalt colored car moving about 80 to 90 mph on my tail. This is why I usually do NOT move over.

Now, if I DO move over and want to get back in the slow lane......there are occasionally a few cars that want to pass me on my right. Grrrr.

My daughter says I drive like an "Old Lady". That's fine. No accidents since 2002 with maybe 3 CLOSE calls and 6 or so medium close calls.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #274

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
I have been following this thread since it was started and quite frankly am apalled at some of the viewpoints expressed. 40 years ago on my first trip to Texas driving an eighteen wheeler I saw what I call the Texas transportation motto. " DRIVE FRIENDLY ". I have tried to follow this as I have driven millions of miles over the years. If I have the room I move over, if not I ease up to let some one in. So I lose a place in line, if I am in that big of a hurry I'll fly.
While I applaud your "Drive Friendly" attitude, there were no cellphones and texting around 40 years ago. Also, drivers' ed was MANDATORY in high school, not so anymore. We have raised a few generations of automotive morons that haven't a clue what it takes to drive safely (or what it takes to maintain a vehicle, but that's another topic). Frankly, I have limited patience with these idiots.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #275

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
[ While I applaud your "Drive Friendly" attitude, there were no cellphones and texting around 40 years ago.
Would it be inappropriate to point out that there were no "internet forums p&m thread opportunities", either?

Share the roads, folks- the car that gets cut off by a giant RV at an onramp may well be you!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #276

Since posting a few hundred posts ago, I've had the chance to become reacquainted with the layout of interstates and other road intersections in two states, and it seems to me there might be a very simple way of determining who has to yield and who has the (implied) right of way.

I suggest that if you have to cross any sort of line painted on the roadway or pass through a Stop or Yield sign to get where you want to go, then you must yield to a vehicle already there.
If neither of the vehicles has to cross any painted line, then both must act cooperatively to decide who should go first.

perfectly logical, covers all situations and is simple enough to be easily understood.

Merge lanes/right lanes here seem to have a dotted line that ends well before the end of the merge lane so the merging vehicle doesn't have to cross a line to join the highway. In other countries, that dotted line extends right to the end and the merging vehicle does always have to cross a line.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #277

Freightliner Owners Club
We have arrived at: "the entering vehicle must yield the right of way but only if he wants to and the Giant RV already established on the highway must do something to avoid an accident or it's going to be his fault" The solution...

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #278

Monaco Owners Club
It's funny all the different points of view on this subject. We just traveled from BC to Yuma. We came down the I 5 corridor and probably seen a few hundred merge lanes. Conclusions, Morons are everywhere!! I usually slow a bit and let them in if I can't pull over to the next lane. If they start to slow down with me all bets are off and I speed up because I will only slow so much on a Hwy.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #279

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
We have arrived at: "the entering vehicle must yield the right of way but only if he wants to and the Giant RV already established on the highway must do something to avoid an accident or it's going to be his fault" The solution...

I think I'll fix myself a Jack and Coke now.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #280

I think it is mostly because of two things:
1. Those people seem to be in such a hurry;
2. People seem to assume too much and therefore make poor judgements.

Not to take this thread off track, I've posted a separate one here:
Safety Travelling Tips

Drive Defensively everyone!