Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
On multilane hiways and streets, boulevards, etc. The rule the truckers use is left to right...(far left) going on through, (center)gonna get off in a couple exits, (right lane), I just got on or am just getting off this exit.
FWIW, that won't work in California for trucks or anybody towing anything. The CHP will be on you in no time if you're towing and cruising in the "left" lane.... and don't be going over 55 mph towing either.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, my favorite pet peeve!

I can't add anything, but I think I'll vent a bit . The freeway has the right of way. Merging traffic must adjust speed to either get ahead or behind a vehicle. These meatheads drive me crazy and it sure seems all the meatheads are always entering the freeway.

If I have the room without impeding center lane traffic, I will move over, just to avoid the impending cluster [moderator edit] that will be forthcoming with the meatheads.

If I can't move over, the cruise stays on and let the chips fall where they may! I get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when they slam on their brakes or hit the shoulder. Yes I 'm still trying to teach, but there are just too many meatheads on the road to fix the problem, I still enjoy it though

One exception. No matter where I'm at, the truckers always take presidence over me. These guys are working for a living and I 'm always trying to improve relations.

Vent/Off
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's see. you are driving a motor home costing between 100,000 and 500,000 (Or perhaps even more) and they are driving a hunk of junk costing worth well, at the tops 10,000 (if it's brand new and just off the dealer lot)

Who has more to loose? (Answer them since they will be at fault in the crash but they don't think that way)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Lots of good stories. If you have ever driven through Cincinnati at rush hour you will understand the mess I have done this several times. All lanes full I'm in right lane with this Idiot merging and he is pacing blowing the horn as if I should let him merge. He finally gave up and fell back somewhere but then it was on, in my mirror here he comes horn wide open. Looked like a real nice family wife and two small children in the back seat all giving me finger the entire family. The driver with his arm over the back seat and hand in the rear right window full flag. When I installed my air horns I put them right under me pointed to the front. Hot out all widows down in the little four door sedan and in the right spot I put the air to the chrome Hadleys. I'll bet there was some pants changing in that car. Four Billies from Kentucky with [moderator edit] in there pants. I'll bet he will think twice every time he merges from now on.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
I make it a habit to slow down to allow the car in the merge lane to speed up and merge in front of me. What always happens is that they start to slow down too! Sometimes it don't pay to be courteous.
X2!! That is why I do not slow down. When I first got into RVing I slowed down and that's exactly what happened. After comming very close to causing several accidents behind me I stopped doing it. Driving the MH through San Antonio last week I was amazed at how fast people can accelerate when they are running out of lane.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
The way that law enforcement, insurance companies and lawyers look at accidents these days isn't necessarily black and white. If they can prove that you could have taken steps to prevent the accident, but didn't, you can be held just as liable as the driver who actually caused the accident. An example being an on ramp where a driver in the travel lane refused to slow down to allow access to a vehicle entering the highway from the on ramp. Just sayin'...
In WA state every on ramp is considered to have a "Yield" sign on it, so if the merging driver causes an accident it's definately their fault for not yielding to mainline traffic.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In WA state every on ramp is considered to have a "Yield" sign on it, so if the merging driver causes an accident it's definately their fault for not yielding to mainline traffic.
Operative term being "causes an accident", determination of which is not as simple as figuring out who was on the on-ramp. Apportionment of responsibility is, as pointed out, the rule in most cases.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Let's see. you are driving a motor home costing between 100,000 and 500,000 (Or perhaps even more) and they are driving a hunk of junk costing worth well, at the tops 10,000 (if it's brand new and just off the dealer lot)

Who has more to loose? (Answer them since they will be at fault in the crash but they don't think that way)
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a "brand new" car for $10,000. Just the same, I understand your point.

The only problem with this theory is that it assumes that the motohome and the "hunk of junk" will be the only vehicles involved. It doesn't take into account the vehicle in the left lane overtaking the motorhome (It wasn't mentioned, but we know it's there because otherwise the motorhome would most certainly have moved over to allow the "hunk of junk", aka Vehicle #2 in the Accident Report, access to the travel lane). The theory also assumes that if there is a collision between Vehicle #1 and Vehicle #2 that Vehicle #1 will not leave it's lane of travel. I would argue that not only will it leave it's lane of travel but will likely be pushed into the path of Vehicle #3 who likely never saw Vehicle #2 due to the fact that Vehilce #1 is a high profile Motorhome that blocked the view of the on ramp and Vehicle #2 to the view of Vehicle #3. Now, just for giggles, let's assume that Vehicle #3 is 80,000 of tractor trailer or better yet, a bus full of kids. Who has more to lose?

It's not about blame or fault. It's about operating in a safe and responsible manner. It's about driving defensively, not offensively. It's about the fact that behind the wheel of the "hunk of junk", right or wrong, there is a human life.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, it's not meant to be. This is just some of what I have learned over 40+ years of commercial driving. Drive it like you have everything to lose, because if you don't, you could lose everything.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #51
YC1

I just thought of a great bumper sticker: Hit me, I'm a lawyer! 1 suit from retirement.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Operative term being "causes an accident", determination of which is not as simple as figuring out who was on the on-ramp. Apportionment of responsibility is, as pointed out, the rule in most cases.
Not sure where you get that. The merging traffic ALWAYS has to yield to mainline traffic, if they don't it's their fault, no apportionment needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #53

National RV Owners Club
I fine that when they do that to me I lay on my Air Horn and for some reasion they eather jump ahead of me or drop behine me, it would not be any good for then to try to move me (A 36' Dolphin toeing a 1995 Saturn.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #54

like that lawyer sticker that should help
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You're right, it's that way in most states. If you survive the accident, when you go to traffic court you'll be right there too.

When you get to civil court, because the other guy or his insurance company will try to recover damages, you could lose if they can prove that you didn't do everything in your power to prevent the accident from happening. If there was personal injury or death it could turn out to cost you a lot to be able to say that you were "right".
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
I fine that when they do that to me I lay on my Air Horn and for some reasion they eather jump ahead of me or drop behine me, it would not be any good for then to try to move me (A 36' Dolphin toeing a 1995 Saturn.
Just a thought.
I wouldn't bet on that too heavily. You would be amazed at the forces that a 4-5,000 pound automobile can generate at highway speed.