Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
That's the case everywhere. A red light means "STOP."
Many folks misinterpret this law. While stopping before you turn right is mandatory, actually turning right after you stop is optional.

In any of the 5 boroughs of NYC there is no such thing as "Right on Red". Just in case you should ever get there.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #86

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They put those in Detroit, actually had them working for a while before damage to the system (Idiot with back hoe) took 'em out.

One stretch of Freeway we used to take 3 or 4 accident reports every afternoon.. Turned on the lights and it was 3 days before I had to send troopers to a crash.. And they wrote the guy for disregarding the light (he was 2nd car through on a green).

Newspaper article on the big boondogle and how much the system cost,,, Showed a photo of an idiot running the shoulder so he could beat the light. (That system saves more money each year than it cost).

The project engineer said to me "A green light does not guarantee a spot for your car"

I replied "A red light guarantees there won't be room" He agreed.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post

No I have never seen them or even heard of them before this. After some thorough research, they are far from being in "every metropolitan area in the U.S.A." There appears to be only about 15 states that even have them, and most of those only have a select few. I do note Washington State, where you live, is the largest user of these. So it seems these devises are very extremely the exception and not the rule in the country.

When I'm going down the Interstate at 65 mph, if I encounter a sign or light that indicates I must yield to vehicles entering the interstate from an on ramp, I will certainly do so. Nuff said.
Clyon,
Just in case you are being serious😱:
The metering lights are not ON THE FREEWAY or highway, they are on the approach ramps! They have been around for a long time. If you haven't seen them maybe you need to travel a little more😊. Their effectiveness may be questionable.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #88

I have commented earlier that is precisely why I NEVER use the right lane when traveling by towns on the highway.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #89

Coming home this weekend with the 5th we got into a 10 mile traffic jam stopped dead and moving a few feet every 10 minutes or so. After an hour or so I see all these people using the right hand shoulder to get ahead and then try to cut in when they see a bridge or can't go any further.

Some gal tried to wedge her way in front of me but I wouldn't back down and let her in. She had little kids in the suv and started a cursing rampage that would have made a sailor blush giving me the finger and blowing her horn. What makes all these people think they are special?

It's usually the high priced cars and SUV's that do it too.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Most people come up behind me thinking I MUST be slow since I'm so big and have a hissy fit if I don't move over....

so when they finally can change lanes, they find they just jumped in the slower lane and lose ground because we are keeping up with traffic (at a safe distance of course )

and re the 'flow meters' have seen them in a few places around here and even in smaller municipalities.... I too question their effectiveness....
Old 12-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Many folks misinterpret this law. While stopping before you turn right is mandatory, actually turning right after you stop is optional.

In any of the 5 boroughs of NYC there is no such thing as "Right on Red". Just in case you should ever get there.
I was responding to the other poster's comment that it was necessary to stop before turning right. I am not commenting on the legality of right-on-red in different locations.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #92

Really want to be confused. Take a couple of minutes and read this on California Highway Merging.....

Who has right-of-way when merging onto freeway? | Local News | PE.com - Press-Enterprise
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

I guess the best thing to do is "Drive Friendly" (Texas slogan) and "Arrive Alive" (Florida slogan.)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #94

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Really want to be confused. Take a couple of minutes and read this on California Highway Merging.....

Who has right-of-way when merging onto freeway? | Local News | PE.com - Press-Enterprise
Thanks for the link!

Though specific to California, the discussion/conclusions therein are consistent with most jurisdictions.

What else could possibly work????

I hereby repeat my earlier contention that fault in the event of an accident does NOT automatically fall upon the driver in the "merge" lane.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #95

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well I am going to take this into my own hands...missle launcher has been installed with laser guided system..piss me off and it will look like a really large pot hole...hell I live in PA...we have pot holes so big that small (moderator edit) families call them home...
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #96
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read through the entire post and no one really stated what the issue is. Yes, people can't judge if they should speed up or slow down, but that's only when they PAY ATTENTION. The issue I always run into is that they don't look to their left until they run out of ramp and then decide they should look. I watch as people merge and if they aren't looking, I give them a little toot. I try to be more mellow, but on a two lane road I get tired of slowing down and speeding up for idiots.

My favorite is when they run out of room because I can't change lanes due to traffic and I've slowed as much as is safe. They start running out of ramp and just when they think they can merge, here comes my 25 feet of toad and tow bar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #97

Im kind of suprised that with 7 pages of discussion nobody commented on whether or not having the merge lane yield to freeway traffic made any sense.

When I got my license in Indiana in '76 I was taught that merging traffic had the right of way and it was explained thusly:
1) the merge lane is ending, so the merger has to be allowed in before he runs out of lane.
2) with elevated ramps the merger frequently can't see much of approaching traffic unless he's straining to look over his left shoulder - mirrors frequently don't show anything until halfway down the ramp or more. On the other hand, traffic that will be behind the merger can see him clearly and make room.
3) it's harder to judge speed and distance in your mirrors than it is out the windshield - and it's smarter to spend the majority of your time looking FORWARD - especially when the lane is ending.

i can't think of any counter arguments that make any sense. It just seems safer for merging traffic to have the right of way. Considering all of you drive motorhomes, when entering a freeway, the physics of trying to adjust the momentum of a 30-50,000lb vehicle on a short ramp as opposed to adjusting the momentum of a 4000lb vehicle with perhaps 50% more distance should be a no brainer - it's much easier on the car! If the motorhome is on the freeway it is a little tougher to make the adjustment but at least there's more room.

A lot of the arguments here seem to be one-sided: in this case whether or not the person tries to out accelerate you and pull in in front. The tougher case is driving with one eye in the mirror trying to hit the gap between the car that just passed and the approaching car, and on urban freeways, trying not to hit the guy in front if he jams on the brakes and then get rear-ended by the guy in back who is convinced he's got the right of way and hasn't left enough room for you to get in.

When I started driving the motorhome on Cali freeways I started noticing the difference in merge behavior. A previous thread on this subject had me check Indiana law and sure enough, it's now the same as everybody else - freeway traffic has the right of way.

First time I saw a yield sign at the bottom of an entrance ramp was in downtown Dallas - short curved ramp with no visibility to the traffic flow - which effectively made the yield sign a stop sign, followed by a drag race. Sheer stupidity.

In a lot of cases, even IF you have the right of way and cause an accident that could have been avoided by a more defensive posture, you might get cited for failure to yield, because you have a responsibility to avoid the collision if the cop believes you could have.

Sure would love to hear from a bona-fide highway engineer the logic behind giving freeway traffic the right of way.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post

First time I saw a yield sign at the bottom of an entrance ramp was in downtown Dallas - short curved ramp with no visibility to the traffic flow - which effectively made the yield sign a stop sign, followed by a drag race. Sheer stupidity.
When I lived in PA back in the 80s they had real stop signs on their ramps. Don't know if they still do or not.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote