Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting, I too got my driver's license in 1976. In all the places I have driven, I've always seen the YEILD sign when going on to the freeways.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Im kind of suprised that with 7 pages of discussion nobody commented on whether or not having the merge lane yield to freeway traffic made any sense.

When I got my license in Indiana in '76 I was taught that merging traffic had the right of way and it was explained thusly:
1) the merge lane is ending, so the merger has to be allowed in before he runs out of lane.
2) with elevated ramps the merger frequently can't see much of approaching traffic unless he's straining to look over his left shoulder - mirrors frequently don't show anything until halfway down the ramp or more. On the other hand, traffic that will be behind the merger can see him clearly and make room.
3) it's harder to judge speed and distance in your mirrors than it is out the windshield - and it's smarter to spend the majority of your time looking FORWARD - especially when the lane is ending.

i can't think of any counter arguments that make any sense. It just seems safer for merging traffic to have the right of way. Considering all of you drive motorhomes, when entering a freeway, the physics of trying to adjust the momentum of a 30-50,000lb vehicle on a short ramp as opposed to adjusting the momentum of a 4000lb vehicle with perhaps 50% more distance should be a no brainer - it's much easier on the car! If the motorhome is on the freeway it is a little tougher to make the adjustment but at least there's more room.

A lot of the arguments here seem to be one-sided: in this case whether or not the person tries to out accelerate you and pull in in front. The tougher case is driving with one eye in the mirror trying to hit the gap between the car that just passed and the approaching car, and on urban freeways, trying not to hit the guy in front if he jams on the brakes and then get rear-ended by the guy in back who is convinced he's got the right of way and hasn't left enough room for you to get in.

Sure would love to hear from a bona-fide highway engineer the logic behind giving freeway traffic the right of way.
I'm not a bona-fide highway engineer but: Cars and trucks going 70 - 80 mph on a freeway. Some idiot getting on doing 35 - 45 mph pulls into oncoming traffic. Cars and trucks slamming on their brakes to avoid them and swerving into other lanes....

Just sat in a 10 mile back up because of the same thing with over 20 cars and trucks smashed up and a lot of people hurt. Good enough reason?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #101

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
When I lived in PA back in the 80s they had real stop signs on their ramps. Don't know if they still do or not.
Still live in PA and no they do not..State requires those on the on ramps to Yield...here in York not to bad...but Philly...oh my god is it rough..
Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #102

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think we should do away with onramps altogether except for the use of jet-engine powered motorhomes driven by properly credentialled drivers.

"Properly credentialled" meaning of course anybody that can buy a jet-engine powered motorhome...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was taught 50 plus years ago that if I am on the on ramp it is my responsibility to merge safely into the freeway traffic. It is my job to speed up or slow down as required in order to merge safely into the flow. I find that the majority of California drivers think they ALWAYS have the right of way no matter what. It is much harder for me to speed up or slow down 30,000 plus pounds of MH than the driver of a 4,000 to 7,000 pound vehicle. Put down your cup of coffee, get off your cell phone and drive the car!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I was taught 50 plus years ago that if I am on the on ramp it is my responsibility to merge safely into the freeway traffic. It is my job to speed up or slow down as required in order to merge safely into the flow. I find that the majority of California drivers think they ALWAYS have the right of way no matter what. It is much harder for me to speed up or slow down 30,000 plus pounds of MH than the driver of a 4,000 to 7,000 pound vehicle. Put down your cup of coffee, get off your cell phone and drive the car!
I'd settle for them hanging up the cell phone
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #105

Thor Owners Club
the interesting thing about slow merging vehicles is that the slow vehicle generally has a few vehicles behind it and when the collision occurs, the offending vehicle which is at the head of the pack isnt involved in the collision and drives down the road with carnage behind it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #106

After the third person did the "haul tail around the big slow MH, then dive in front of it and then jam on the brakes to turn into a parking lot" I got a dash cam. This takes the wind out of the "I didn't pass him he just slammed into the back of me" argument. The down side is if you did something stupid it nails you as well. It also helps with the "who done it" with respect to merge lanes.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #107

Damon Owners Club
I guess the real question here is how to manage the mentally distracted, or just plain ornery fools that create the problems while attempting to enter a freeway without being aware of or refusing to yield to those of us driving an RV.

It's easy to get angry and aggressive in these situations, but is that the best way to manage the situation? My main action is to prevent an accident that would interrupt my trip, or worse, cause injury to someone. Situational awareness is absolutely mandatory in these merging issues. I'll do what I can to avoid a crash, even though my first thought is that "I am bigger than you and meaner than you, so try to force me over or try to cut in front of me".

My most recent occurrence happened a few days ago as we were entering the Houston area. Heavy traffic and I was in the right lane to prepare for a right exit that was coming up. A car entered the freeway next to me and obviously did not see me, nonchalantly moving over right next to me. I braked to avoid a crash and as soon as the fool barely missed the front of my coach, I blew my horn, which is very loud, getting the attention of the driver. I could see her reaction when she realized the position she was in, and she immediately accelerated and got out of my way. I would imagine that she needed to change her pants when she got where she was going!

Now, how do you prevent or educate the fools that drive that way? You can't. That's where our defensive driving skills and situational awareness comes into play. Hopefully these merge situations can be effectively managed by us to prevent any vehicle crashes, or damage to our rigs. We can talk all day about "what should be" but in reality, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the "now" and what we can do to prevent any contact.

One finger salutes by other drivers just show their breeding and ignorance. While it does tend to make me mad, I have learned that is is just for a moment, and not worth reacting to on my part. Arriving safe and sound to my destination is my priority and takes precedence over any reactions I might be tempted to initiate toward the fools that inhabit the highways we drive.

Motor safe and enjoy your journeys.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #108

I-70 in Western PA still has stop signs on entrance ramps. It is so hilly there that there was no room for acceleration lanes. Interesting going from a dead stop onto the interstate towing a 40 foot 5th wheel. There is also no median, just jersey barriers dividing the highway. Not our favorite place to drive, even in just in our truck.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #109
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Texas Law:
----------
Entering the Highway
1. You must yield the right-of-way to vehicles already on the highway.
----------

Cars on feeder roads yield to exiting traffic. There are some cities where this is stickily enforced, but there are many where you are at your own risk from the traffic on feeder roads. Corpus Christi, TX has the most polite drivers on feeder roads. It seems that everyone yields to traffic in Corpus. Many feeder roads have two yield signs on the feeder road, one on the left shoulder and one on the right shoulder. This can be confusing as people think the one on the left shoulder of the feeder road is for the exiting freeway traffic, but it is not. In some areas, the yield signs on the feeder roads specifically state, "yield to exiting traffic," and there need to be more of those. Some states have yield signs on the entrance ramps.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #110

Ok, my turn. I have found myself in the slow lane next to the merge lane in my motorhome enduring several occasions where people pull onto the freeway from the merge lane and EXPECT me to move for them. I try and be obliging but usually I am next to traffic in the next left lane. I have several times been given the California howdy from the offending motorist followed by a long episode of lip reading on my part. I know that people will behave differently behind the wheel than if you meet them face to face. Some people are ignorant and some just don't seem to care. The wife and I make a game out of guessing what these people will do when merging. I am sad to say that a great percentage don't even look because they are distracted while doing something g else. And those that do look at the last second about wet themselves when they see my front cap bearing down on them.

While I am on my soap box, how about pulling over for law, fire, tow trucks and highway workers working on the shoulder. I am sure everyone knows about the "move over law" in most if not all states. Many big rig drivers and most RVers will comply. But most caged drivers do not. And then they get mad at you when you move over in front of them in the next lane to provide that buffer for the workers.

I am passionate about this law as I worked 37 years in emergency services the last 32 years as a Battalion Chief providing fire and Paramedic ambulance services on I-80 over Donner Summit in every condition you can possibly imagine. I have had to jump out of the way of unsuspecting drivers on several occasions. I have also had to split my forces to render aid to CHP officers who were struck from behind. So please pass the word on to others and maybe we can save a life.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post

While I am on my soap box, how about pulling over for law, fire, tow trucks and highway workers working on the shoulder. I am sure everyone knows about the "move over law" in most if not all states. Many big rig drivers and most RVers will comply. But most caged drivers do not. And then they get mad at you when you move over in front of them in the next lane to provide that buffer for the workers.

I am passionate about this law as I worked 37 years in emergency services the last 32 years as a Battalion Chief providing fire and Paramedic ambulance services on I-80 over Donner Summit in every condition you can possibly imagine. I have had to jump out of the way of unsuspecting drivers on several occasions. I have also had to split my forces to render aid to CHP officers who were struck from behind. So please pass the word on to others and maybe we can save a life.
I was on I-75 in Fl with my 60' rig and saw the blues on the side of the road ahead. I looked to get over and put on my turn signal. No one would let me in. I even tried moving over slowly but they didn't care and still kept coming.

I put on my 4 ways and slowed down passing the cop. A mile or 2 later he stopped me and gave me a ticket for not moving over. I tried to explain it to him but he didn't care and said "the law is the law".

Last week I beat the ticket in court but couldn't believe the people who wouldn't let me pull over and then the cop who gave me a ticket. What's going on in this world?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I was on I-75 in Fl with my 60' rig and saw the blues on the side of the road ahead. I looked to get over and put on my turn signal. No one would let me in. I even tried moving over slowly but they didn't care and still kept coming.

I put on my 4 ways and slowed down passing the cop. A mile or 2 later he stopped me and gave me a ticket for not moving over. I tried to explain it to him but he didn't care and said "the law is the law".

Last week I beat the ticket in court but couldn't believe the people who wouldn't let me pull over and then the cop who gave me a ticket. What's going on in this world?
Now THAT stinks! Glad you took it to court and I hope the LEO had to appear to explain his reasoning. Saying "the law is the law" doesn't cut it.

I think at least in some states, the law requires that one either move over or slow down when emergency vehicles are on the roadside... which would allow for what you ran in to.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote