Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agression

I live in Pa and our state driving rule book is to enter the highway at a speed which will allow you to enter traffic at a safe place. Riding Motorcycle on the highway for over 41 years has made me aware to give room when I can. But I am not on my motorcycle or on a 52 ft long Rv and Trailer going to jump into the left lane and cause something more serious that that person on the on ramp from putting down the phone, drink item or something else to pay attention.

I become agressive when someone trys to hurt me for no reason...its happened many times while on my motorcycle and I lost a friend with me many years ago when he was pushed into the left lane and killed by another car not paying attention. When I drive my personal car, truck or motorcycle I always give room to any vehicle as I can. But trying to stop 26,000 lbs in a moment does not happen. I always give 8 car lengths in front of me so I can stop if needed.

I ride my motorcycles with police officers and paramedics...we see this all the time...Motorcycles are a ignored on the highway...so I my RV there is no reason you can miss me...

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
In reading through this entire thread I've only seen a couple of posts where one of us would have taken preventative or defensive actions to avoid an accident. There are even a couple of posts that would lead me to believe that the poster could become outwardly aggressive given the situation. This is what can and will lead to a Road Rage incident. Considering that we are operating some of the largest vehicles on the road and in many cases have children on board this is entirely the wrong attitude to take.

The way that law enforcement, insurance companies and lawyers look at accidents these days isn't necessarily black and white. If they can prove that you could have taken steps to prevent the accident, but didn't, you can be held just as liable as the driver who actually caused the accident. An example being an on ramp where a driver in the travel lane refused to slow down to allow access to a vehicle entering the highway from the on ramp. Just sayin'...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #30
KIX

An unwritten Rule of the Road is Size Matters
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
What bothers me is try to get a 45 motorhome off at a cloverleaf. There is always someone who is running along the motorhome and refuses to speed up or slow down. The merging traffic is required to yield to the oncomming traffic.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #32

"if you can read this... You should have bought a faster car... "[/QUOTE]

I love it! I also like the on that says,"Need more skinny pedal!"
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
On multilane hiways and streets, boulevards, etc. The rule the truckers use is left to right...(far left) going on through, (center)gonna get off in a couple exits, (right lane), I just got on or am just getting off this exit.
I taught my boys those concepts when teachning them to drive instead of 'the fast lane' and 'the slow lane'.
Now, in Kansas, on 2 lane (same direction) highways they can ticket you for 'cruising' in the left lane meaning, you are not actively passing anyone. I don't understand it, and think it is silly as in my mind the more space and wiggle room one has.... the safer hurling through life at 70-75 miles an hour in a little glass and metal box on 4 rubber tires has got to be. However, merging isn't as problematic. :
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend of mine's daughter got her license after completing an online driving course. Think that might be part of the problem?
I'll never forget my high school history teacher/football coach/drivers Ed instructor yelling "Get your speed up, whaddya waitin' for, an engraved invitation?"
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #35

Jayco Owners Club
I imagine they're all "first responders" and they may be making the decision to give me oxygen or cut off my air supply.

Lately, my biggest traffic concern is not following the neighbors manure spreader too closely.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I'll never forget my high school history teacher/football coach/drivers Ed instructor yelling "Get your speed up, whaddya waitin' for, an engraved invitation?"
So...was that the rule for the merger, the merged upon, or sort of a one-size-fits-all thing?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
wow, took me a couple of seconds to figure what that avtar was
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
on donavanP
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #39

In Florida we have some of the most stupid laws.....no turn on red, guess what everybody makes a turn on a red light. To make matters worst, the sign saying no turn on red is post after a bridge that is blind to the turning driver.
Another is on a red arrow, which turns green when it's time, it seems that " everybody turns with and without stopping. If you are one of the stupid ones, the lean on the horn and go around and give you the stupid look.
Another one is when your at a major intersection, with a left turn arrow and it's your turn to turn, you must yield to the person who has a red light and must stop before proceeding.....well guess what nobody stops and you must wait till traffic lets you make the u turn. Some times because of this stupid law, the extreme left lane must wait for a couple of light changes before your get through. Mind you it's not a uniform thing....but you have to be aware that red lights for some people are just a nusiance.
I guess you have to watch out for everybody
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #40

In FL law is you can make a right turn on red.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #41

Ignorance will always be on the highways..................
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
After allot of years of commercial driving you learn to watch for these guys. If possible I always move over before an onramp when traveling on a 4 lane highway. But no matter how vigilant you are or how courteous you are there is always the guy that pulls out beside you and stays there and won't let you back in to the left lane. You can't really win with them. Like said before you can't fix stupid.