Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Why does merging traffic expect us to slow down & let them in

This week I had a car sit on their horn since they could not get in. There was plenty of room ahead or behind me. They instead set pace with me and got mad since i did not slow down to let them in. Once they got in they went about a half mile and suddenly turned in to a store. Guess they did get me to slow down
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
There's just no accounting for "stupid."
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We find this behavior is the norm not the exception! My DW spots merging traffic for me by calling out the color of the intruding vehicle. Helps my reaction time especially in large metro areas. Sometimes one just cannot let them in! Bottom line they are responsible if an accident occurs. Unfortunately, this doesn't help if they sideswipe the rv and keep trucking down the road.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #4

We were lucky it was a small town and the traffic was only moving about 35 and there was lots of room in front and behind me. The merge lane was really long , all she had to do was speed up a little. Wish i could afford to weld a 4 inch pipe around the MH as a bumper. and LET EM MERGE !!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
This week I had a car sit on their horn since they could not get in. There was plenty of room ahead or behind me. They instead set pace with me and got mad since i did not slow down to let them in. Once they got in they went about a half mile and suddenly turned in to a store. Guess they did get me to slow down
She must have missed the DE class segment on merging ... in fact, I think 90% of the idiots in the on ramp missed that class. They mostly do not understand "acceleration lane."

What you described happens to us all the time. One time my DW was driving in traffic heavy enough that she could not have pulled over had she wanted to. Space ahead of us, space behind us, I watched a woman match our speed (which was well below the speed limit), then come to a complete stop in the acceleration lane. The guy behind her nearly sent her into the next county (if not further). I could see her cussing us ...
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Yep, ya can't fix stupid. It never fails to amaze me that so many people don't understand the concept of merging that requires the mergee to speed up to the traffic flow.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #7

They think because we're big, we're slow.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I make it a habit to slow down to allow the car in the merge lane to speed up and merge in front of me. What always happens is that they start to slow down too! Sometimes it don't pay to be courteous.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #9

If there is more than 2 lanes I am 1 not in the RH lane. Otherwise, I'm bigger
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad other people have observed this and it just wasn't me. I generally like to stay in the middle lane when going thru major cities but sometimes you just get caught in the right lane. It's amazing how they can't gage their speed to merge.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Merging is an art form understood by fewer and fewer people each passing year it seems. I grew up in Southern California and when you learned to drive you learned to merge properly. That was more than half a century ago and the art form is evidently not passed down through the generations.

I have a pillow in our MH that is on the couch embroidered with LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY a lament for hapless mergers.

All the more reason to stay alert and drive way ahead, Also in big citties take the lane next to the merge lane when passing through; truckers do this and avoid having to contest for space with other vehicles.

That, and for the others I have a nasty air horn hidden under the hood of my gasser.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #12

I'll move over if I can, but if not I will hold my spot... If their merge lane runs out, then they should have been watching something other than me
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Like that air horn idea
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #14

So many times drivers forget the concept of using accelerator or brakes to merge in front or behind a vehicle when in traffic. Sometimes air horns work to get their memory working.