Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #29

We always get friendly waves from everyone
at the Private campgrounds we stay at. I think
it depends on the road. While traveling up the
Freeway or back roads its a little hard to do
a wave when both hands are on the wheel and
the wind is blowing
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sharpshooter123:
As far as the truckers there are bad apples in every bushel, PLEASE don't stereotype truckdrivers because there are alot of good guys and gals that drive trucks. Not all truckers curse and talk ugly on the CB.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the military called me back to active duty this time, I ended up doing a lot of driving. I now run alot between parts of New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Truck drivers have frequently extended courtesies on the road. I try to acknowledge, and being new to RV'ing, I love seeing these rigs too. Unfortunately, I don't always have my rig, so I'm the one waving from any manner of vehicle!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #31

The wife and I got a wave from every Casita and Scamp owner we saw in our travels in the Southwest last summer. I think it was about seven or eight, all towing those small fiberglass trailers, everyone else just seemed to ignore us. Maybe it's just a brand specific RV type/style kind of thing, like Jeeps.

Dan & Jan
17' Casita
Dan & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #32

I have noticed the lack of comraderie amoung RVers on the highways too. Now I can understand the interstates, too much distance between passing vehicles. I always flash lights to all RV's that pass me,(same direction), on the highway, truckers too, one in 20 will acknowledge. Doesn't matter really, I did what I thought was best.
So to the original poster, no you aren't doing anything wrong, nor is there anything you aren't aware of. It is just the way things are today.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always try to wave as long as it is safe to do so.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> . . . got a wave from every Casita and Scamp owner we saw . . .

Dan & Jan

17' Casita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My lovely bride and I went to the Casita factory last summer (it's less than 2 hours south of us) --- all the folks were friendly there, too! We had a nice tour back where all the work is done. Looked like good quality work, too. I was ready to buy one, but my wife said that after more than 38 years, perhaps it was just a bit too small!!

If I see you on the road, I'm going to wave (unless, of course, it would be UNSAFE to do so!)
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #35

I still keep my CB on. Lots of RVs don't. I've passed RVs with their steps out, antenna up or something else not right with the rig. Try to reach one on CB ch 19 or 13 is rarely possible. Might be a good idea to have one on sometimes. I'often be warned by CB about traffic problems ahead or other useful info.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:02 AM   #36

I've noticed the lack of waving among RVers also. We started camping in '81 as a small family in a 16' travel trailer locally. You usually got a wave in return. We've progressed through a 24' travel trailer, a 35' fifth wheel and now a 38' fifth wheel with a Freightliner as a tow vehicle. I still wave but most passing RVs don't respond. Sometimes it seems like a "look what I got...they got' comparison that exchanges instead of the 'Hi! part of the family'wave that I miss. I started camping with my parents and eleven siblings in 1960 or so in a homemade popup of sorts. Everyone waved then as part of the RV 'family'.
wunnerfitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:39 AM   #37

To' ALL WHO WANT TO WAVE;

If we keep waving, without reservation, eventually they negative, stick in the muds will maybe think it/s a nice thing to do. I don't know, they may be wrapped up in driving.

You never know, that person/rig you wave to may be the rig thats in trouble and you stop to help and they remember your wave.

KEEP ON WAVING!!!!!!

Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-26-2006, 05:44 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure this doesn't apply to most of the RV'ers out there, but this is why my DH doesn't wave. He is driving our 40'DP with hand controls. So one hand is on the steering wheel and one on the excel/brake. Most of the time he has it on cruise control, but always ready to break if necessary...like when a car pulls in front and then slows down ! I always wave, but you are probably looking at the driver, not his "lovely wife". I know what you mean by acknowledging each other. We used to have a Corvette and when you passed another Vette you showed him the "V" sign with your fingers. That was a long time ago though...I wonder if they still do that??
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #39

Just returned from Tombstone and waved at every moho and RVer. Only a few waved back. My DW waves when we pass one. We were amazed that we didn't get more waves in return. But, it didn't stop us.

I didn't know Jeepers waved...I've never been waved at while driving my Jeep...maybe it's the area...hmmmm....I think I'll start...they were smart enough to buy a Jeep...
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #40
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webster:
"I've never been waved at while driving my Jeep" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might just be the Wrangler drivers waving at other Wrangler drivers, not sure if the Cherokees, Libertys, etc are into it.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #41

I notice a lot of RV'ers wave. I just figure the ones that don't either have tunnel vision or are to afraid to turn loose of the wheel with one hand long enough to wave.
setexcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #42

Come on folks! In order that nothing gets missed, I suggest that we wave at everything that moves.
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote