Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got my first speeding ticket in about 30 years in March. 12 over cost me $469 and no way to appeal it other than to show up in court TWICE! That would take two trips to CA which just wasn't worth it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I have not had a ticket in California for so long that I have no idea about the added fees and charges. But if the Governor of the State makes such a negative comment it must be a major problem.

My family has lived in CA for 100 years. It is a place of great geographic drama and beauty. However, that is balanced by the fact that it is jam packed with 37 million people. And for the driver of an RV some places have roads that almost tear your suspension apart. Going south on the 57 and on to I 10 east last summer at modest to slow speed I thought I was going to damage my suspension. It was a minor problem but the cover for the oil reservoir on my front right steer tire came off and leaked all over the place. 30 years ago Los Angeles freeways were the best in the USA. Those days are long past.

Road rage in congested areas is a significant problem now in CA. It never was in the 1970's. But when you go from 17 to 37 million rage builds up and is now common on the CA highways in built up areas. In addition, in the 1970's CA population was largely made up of midwesterners who moved to the sunshine State or fled the dust bowl. Now many of the laid back Californians have fled to places that resemble CA in the 1970's like Oregon, Idaho, and Utah. And a mash up of people from all over the World has flooded in to take their place. Many illegally. Many of those new folks come from places where it is normal to drive "lawlessly".

California is almost a 1,000 miles north to south. So it takes a lot of description to get it all in. My suggestion to RVers is to avoid the metro areas of Los Angeles and San Francisco. If you do that you will avoid most of the aggressive drivers.

37million folks, now that's a pretty big number. You just got to wonder, what's the attraction? Could it be that all these people have it all wrong. When you're here you know you're not in Kansas anymore! It's a very big diverse state that is simply unmatched. I have to admit however that driving on our roads and freeways can often be challenging. That said, given the # of cars and trucks on those roads most drivers behave pretty well. Imagine the chaos if that weren't so?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
California is a terrible place to RV! Please do not come here.

The summers are too beautiful, the winters are too mild, the sites too grand, the options too wide, and there are too many wide open roadways that fit RV's.

If you do come here, please meet some locals and enjoy yourself.

If you like the fast track and all things and people of the city, go to Los Angeles or San Francisco.

If you like all things rural, from wilderness to wide open farmland and the folks that live in these places, then enjoy most all of the rest of the state, from the beautiful areas around Mount Shasta in the north, or the massive Sierra Nevada mountains, to the southwestern desert of the south...and don't forget the hundreds and hundreds of miles of beautiful coastline that is NOT blocked off by the old money elite.

Finally, America's most beautiful city, San Diego will welcome you with lots to see and do. It is the city with the largest US Government population in the world (really, with all 5 armed services present and more government and gov't contractors than anywhere else) so the "feeling" here is not like the other 2 cities.

And remember, California is easily the size of 13 east coast states, so give yourself enough time

After your visit, please convince your new friends from here to go home with you, because it seems that A LOT of people like it here, so some could leave.

And if you get a ticket from the police here or anywhere, unless it is bogus, please pay it...just like all 50 states, traffic citations are part of the revenue stream...there are no exceptions.

Finally, we have driven in all 50 states (many by RV, and all by car) and none can brag about their roads...that is a national issue.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nomad Mike and Walt Bennett have the right idea.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #33

Vesta Dave - Lots of people does not mean a location is a great place to live. Take Calcutta for example. That said, for many people CA is a great place to live. As one who grew up here I think it was far better 40 years ago, and there are many steps that can be taken to improve it's future. Your comment about the roads being "challenging". To me that is like calling the Grand Canyon a big ditch. The freeways in Los Angeles, much of Route 99, and the freeway Rt 17 from San Jose to Monterey are shockingly bad for someone in a motorhome. Oh and add the freeway i 5 through Stockton CA. Those places are very bad for your RV to drive through. The drivers around the large cities in CA do not behave well. What is your frame of reference? Manhattan? When I get within 50 miles of San Francisco, LA, or San Diego the drivers become like a swarm of bees. They go 15 miles over the speed limit and weave in and out of lanes to get a few cars ahead.

Scarab0088 - You must have moved to San Diego sometime recently as you sound like a tourist bureau ad. Keep in mind this thread is a discussion of unfair traffic citation surcharges and not the plusses and minuses of CA. But your comment about traffic tickets glosses over the issue completely. I agree that if you get and are guilty of a traffic violation you should appear in court or pay the fine. But Governor Brown states that the added fees and tax surcharges on CA tickets are too high and I agree. Hundreds of dollars for small infractions is abuse of power plain and simple. When the Governor of the States says so there must be a kernel of truth to it.

Your blanket comment about San Diego being America's most beautiful city is very debateable. It is one of the nicer US cities, but I would say Santa Barbara or San Francisco are both more beautiful. Seattle to me is as attractive and San Diego.

But back to RVing. There are almost no RV spaces you could fit your Damon into on the beach in S Calif. The few State parks with RV spots on the water are either not well developed and can fit large RVs like Silver Strand. Or can only take small RVs like Carlsbad. The only RV spaces I know of that are on the water and fairly nice in San Diego County are in Camp Pendleton. And that park has been closed for over a year. You have to be military to stay there. Up the coast it is the same way. There are a few spots in Goleta, and a few more in Oceano. Pismo has some nice private RV park places and so does Morro Bay. Compare this with Oregon that has many State parks and private RV parks right on the water or right next to it.

Your final comment about roads in the USA. They vary significantly from State to State. And within States they vary a lot. I would guess it has to do with the local area paying something into the cost of the roads. For example Stockton has gone broke. I 5 through Stockton last summer was terrible. When you got out of Stockton it got better. In my opinion all of the States that adjoin CA have better roads than CA. The largest city in AZ, Phoenix has very good roads. They are far far better than San Fran or LA.

Finally, don't get me wrong, I like CA and think it can be improved, but there is a lot of work to do. And removing the fees and taxes that gouge people getting traffic citations is one good place to start. And so says the boss, Governor Brown plus me.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Vesta Dave - Lots of people does not mean a location is a great place to live. Take Calcutta for example....

Scarab0088 - You must have moved to San Diego sometime recently as you sound like a tourist bureau ad. Keep in mind this thread is a discussion of unfair traffic citation surcharges and not the plusses and minuses of CA. But your comment about traffic tickets glosses over the issue completely. I agree that if you get and are guilty of a traffic violation you should appear in court or pay the fine. But Governor Brown states that the added fees and tax surcharges on CA tickets are too high and I agree. Hundreds of dollars for small infractions is abuse of power plain and simple. When the Governor of the States says so there must be a kernel of truth to it.

Your blanket comment about San Diego being America's most beautiful city is very debateable. It is one of the nicer US cities, but I would say Santa Barbara or San Francisco are both more beautiful. Seattle to me is as attractive and San Diego.

But back to RVing. There are almost no RV spaces you could fit your Damon into on the beach in S Calif. The few State parks with RV spots on the water are either not well developed and can fit large RVs like Silver Strand. Or can only take small RVs like Carlsbad. The only RV spaces I know of that are on the water and fairly nice in San Diego County are in Camp Pendleton. And that park has been closed for over a year. You have to be military to stay there. Up the coast it is the same way. There are a few spots in Goleta, and a few more in Oceano. Pismo has some nice private RV park places and so does Morro Bay. Compare this with Oregon that has many State parks and private RV parks right on the water or right next to it.

Your final comment about roads in the USA. They vary significantly from State to State. And within States they vary a lot. I would guess it has to do with the local area paying something into the cost of the roads. For example Stockton has gone broke. I 5 through Stockton last summer was terrible. When you got out of Stockton it got better. In my opinion all of the States that adjoin CA have better roads than CA. The largest city in AZ, Phoenix has very good roads. They are far far better than San Fran or LA.

Finally, don't get me wrong, I like CA and think it can be improved, but there is a lot of work to do. And removing the fees and taxes that gouge people getting traffic citations is one good place to start. And so says the boss, Governor Brown plus me.
There is no city in America that is like Calcutta...but surely sets the tone for the post. And everyone is welcome to an opinion. But, this thread has moved well beyond the original post about high priced vehicle citations. And, GOV Brown might say tickets are priced too high, but like most in politics, he's a lot of talk...all while spending all those dollars

And to be clear, I grew-up in San Diego...not a transplant - unlike MOST of my neighbors and friends... that's because lots of folks move here every year. I spent 24 years in the military, assigned from Maine to Florida to Alaska...and some overseas assignments too, then went home. So I believe that I can say with some certainty that California is generally a rather nice place in this current world.

Sure taxes are average here but, surely not the highest. And there are some odd politics but, but surely CA is not the only state with these SAME challenges.

I have yet to have a problem getting my RV where I wanted (unlike the tighter/older roads in the east). And about the coastline camping by Pendleton - off-base...it's still open for many, many miles of direct access, without the large tacts of coastline shut-off by the wealthy few. This is a perfect example of the difference here from much of the rest of the US.

The bashing of a particular place for bogus generalizations is just wrong. Pick a state or city and let 'er rip...

Safe travels

P.S. I drive a gas powered RV and tow with a dolly too
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #35

I live near Reno, NV. We spend quite a bit of time in California, both for business and vacation. One thing I've found is that you can't make any blanket statements about the whole state. There are too many regional differences for folks there to really consider themselves one big happy family. The SF Bay Area crowd grumbles about So Cal taking all the water. Go to San Diego and they complain about all them pot-smokin' hippies up north writing all those stupid laws. The folks in LA really do believe that they're the only ones that matter. Everyone in the Eastern Sierra communities like Bishop and Mammoth tells me they'd rather be part of Nevada because they don't think they have any say in what Sacramento does to them. Since none of them can agree with one another, you can't paint them all with one brush.

Still, I always try to carry enough fuel in my rig to get where I'm going and back to Nevada before I have to fill up again!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry Scarab0088 but taxes in Cali are not at all average. We have the highest Income, fuel, sales, etc. taxes in the country. Any search will get you the particulars.

I don't think anyone questions the beauty of Cali, but let's face it, much else leaves a lot to be desired. I say this as a lifetime resident.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trying real hard to stay on topic here as discussions get dissected.
Since RV's are taxed - it applies...

It may seem that California residents are hit "HARDEST" with the "HIGHEST" taxes, but there are several states that are hit harder in the grand scheme.

Here's a visual:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map-of-Tax-Freedom-Day-by-State-1024x893.png
Views:	117
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	98693

CA reaches Tax pay-off 47th in the US (sorry NY, NJ and CT) and within days of MANY other states. "The grass is not always greener..."

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
So when you are 47th in the nation to reach "tax freedom day" that is average?! I don't think so. Even according to your link, Cali ranks 4th in overall tax burden, not average. Try this link:

Facts & Figures 2015: How Does Your State Compare? | Tax Foundation

Cali ranks 48th in overall tax burden - not average, first is sales tax, first in fuel taxes. As has been said, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #39

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I don't want to bash anybody's state; I've been to almost all of them and found good in all. Even most foreign countries have nice people and beautiful scenery (with a couple of unnamed exceptions).

Last summer we traveled in California from the Oregon border down to San Francisco, then eastward to the Nevada border. Thoroughly enjoyed every place we stayed. The only mistake I made: I filled up with diesel in Brookings, Oregon so I wouldn't have to pay California prices. I should have waited till I got to California; I paid at least 10 cents more per gallon in Oregon than I would have paid in CA.
You should be using GasBuddy.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
So when you are 47th in the nation to reach "tax freedom day" that is average?! I don't think so..,
Thanks So we can agree that CA does not have the HIGHEST tax burden in the nation as was proclaimed earlier.
And, please notice the difference between #25 (Colorado, which is the "median") is only 8 days.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #41

Can't complain about tax if ya don't live there!
We will stop for fuel in Reno to and from Napa. So much wine, so much time!
And we wine. But we don't whine.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Vesta Dave - Lots of people does not mean a location is a great place to live. Take Calcutta for example. That said, for many people CA is a great place to live. As one who grew up here I think it was far better 40 years ago, and there are many steps that can be taken to improve it's future. Your comment about the roads being "challenging". To me that is like calling the Grand Canyon a big ditch. The freeways in Los Angeles, much of Route 99, and the freeway Rt 17 from San Jose to Monterey are shockingly bad for someone in a motorhome. Oh and add the freeway i 5 through Stockton CA. Those places are very bad for your RV to drive through. The drivers around the large cities in CA do not behave well. What is your frame of reference? Manhattan? When I get within 50 miles of San Francisco, LA, or San Diego the drivers become like a swarm of bees. They go 15 miles over the speed limit and weave in and out of lanes to get a few cars ahead.

BBob, Calcutta really??? We are getting into a twist over some deadbeats who blow off their fines for, yes traffic violations. If you don't pay the fines the fines go up. Is it different where you live? Mind you, Ca is not perfect but I don't think anyplace is. Where do you live? Is it perfect?
Look, no State in our great country is comparable to Ca. That fact cuts a couple of ways both good and bad. This state has the worlds 8th largest economy and by far the the largest single economy in our country.
So it's not like Calcutta!! Here, we grow stuff (food), make stuff(electric cars), invent stuff(silicone valley), create stuff( Hollywood/movies)....and, when we want to we can go to the beach and surf or go in our RV to the mountains. It's so true that our state pays more than its fair share of taxes. Some of our tax dollars in fact go to support other states. See, it works like this, Ca gets only a share of what we pay in taxes returned to us. Some states get more than all of their taxes returned to them in the form of government subsidies etc.
Honestly, I really don't mind because that's what makes our country great. We don't have a Calcutta here and we don't want one.(full disclosure-I've not been to Calcutta)
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california