Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #15

I live in CA, and I can't stand it, but right now I just have no choice. I am tired of the politics and high prices and cost of living in the state.
Scott
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why I Don"t RV Or Even Drive in California

I will say that semi's and towing speed limit of 55 mph , especially across the desert, seems a bit nonsensical !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I don't want to bash anybody's state; I've been to almost all of them and found good in all. Even most foreign countries have nice people and beautiful scenery (with a couple of unnamed exceptions).

Last summer we traveled in California from the Oregon border down to San Francisco, then eastward to the Nevada border. Thoroughly enjoyed every place we stayed. The only mistake I made: I filled up with diesel in Brookings, Oregon so I wouldn't have to pay California prices. I should have waited till I got to California; I paid at least 10 cents more per gallon in Oregon than I would have paid in CA.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm from Cali and I don't think we do much leading, at least in the correct direction. We were once a great state but BigDBright has it right.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #19

So the guy caught caught without proper plates, not wearing a seat belt and driving without a license and is now crying foul. He knows or ought to know the rules and chose to ignore them. Yes, the penalties seem harsh but when in Rome do as the Romans do.
We enjoyed our time in California and have every intention of going back (in spite of some of the roads). Our only encounter with the law was in downtown Dixon, I had parked under some trees (the only shade we could find) but were too close to the intersection to suit him. He was very pleasant, by the time he left my wife had him laughing. I have to watch my speed with no cruise control though, 55 seems a little silly on the smooth sections of the interstates.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think were one of the most screwed up states, but still a pretty good place to live if you can afford it. The article is correct about fees, but it's also discussing cases where people didn't pay when due.

Keep in mind, California and Texas have a huge population of illegal aliens and the Governor of California has openly gone out of his way to draw as many illegals as he can into the state. (Not a political statement but a fact that the Governor will admit to). They issue them driver's licenses (new ruling) when they can't afford insurance or pay tickets. So some of these examples are just people who drive cars, but have no money to insure them or pay for their violations.

When many are issued citations here, it's really not a citation, but a future warrant, because they'll never go to court on the ticket.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Interesting how posting a personal opinion becomes California Bashing by Californians. Everyone has their own opinion, but when an article and reasons for an action is posted it all of a sudden becomes a social boo-boo. Of course they also add a dose of FOX Bashing, but that doesn't appear to count. If you like it there, be my guest. If you are undecided, consider the facts in the article, if you don't drive in California, proceed to the next thread.

I worked with LEO's for years and a ticket isn't always given when a violation is observed. Some will write it to make a point and take the possible tongue lashing from the magistrate if it goes to court. Unfortunately, when I'm traveling I don't intend to return to fight a ticket or hire a lawyer to do it for me, but paying $900 for a violation that has a $100 fine just to pay the California social fees is not my idea of a place I want to be.
Oh, so what I said about FOX News is bashing, but what you said was not? I think it is a lot more acceptable to bash a business, than people. And that is exactly what you did.

You don't think a title saying "Why I Don"t RV Or Even Drive in California" and saying "the lack of common courtesy of CA drivers" and then using a poorly done news report as evidence of high ticket fines is bashing? The courthouse interview was a line of delinquents who did not pay their fines and then saw them increase - well duh! Fines in many other states are high too, especially when you don't pay them.

Definition of Bashing: is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group, or subject.

Your statements were harsh, gratuitous and especially prejudicial - you hit all the marks for saying it is bashing.

If you don't like California fine, stay away as we really don't need you here.

Go a head and list your state now, so I can say my piece about it and not call it bashing! We can start with this from you: "I worked with LEO's for years and a ticket isn't always given when a violation is observed. Some will write it to make a point and take the possible tongue lashing from the magistrate if it goes to court" - I don't want to be traveling through there, wherever that LEO is!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Let's knock off the personal comments here. Our Community Rules do not permit it. Discuss the topic and not each other.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I have to watch my speed with no cruise control though, 55 seems a little silly on the smooth sections of the interstates.
I'm an actual California native so I think I'm untitled to have an opinion that shouldn't be considered bashing. It's a strange state. Sort of two states. Northern and southern. Completely different. I'm from the northern part. My family is in the south and I now live in Washington.

Until the Cali water shortage is dealt with, I won't mind all the rain we get up here. And who knows, with global warming Oregon and Washington might become the new agricultural center for America!

That said, my question is, where in Cali did you find a smooth section of the interstate? 😉
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #24

Maryland

Maryland is a nice place to live if you stay fare away from D.C. like i do, come on over
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Oh good, another bashing California thread. You can bash the state even more in future years as the drought takes a hold and you find out that California's vast rural and uncongested areas grow and raise nearly half of the US food production. We get first choice of that food now along with it a cheaper price. What are you going to pay in the future? Send us some cheap gas and maybe we will send you some food.

By the way, using FOX news for a source? A fine in Tx for driving with insurance carries a three year surcharge of $250 a year - yep a $750 surcharge plus the fine too. And interviewing the people standing in line at a court? Most people would pay a fine online or mail it in - so what kind of people are standing in line at the court? "Uh, yea I found out I had a warrant" - that kind!

Yea there are prices to pay when living here, but food is cheaper and more plentiful, the weather is far better than any where else in the US. We have Yosemite, about 7 other NP's, a couple dozen other National Monuments and Recreation areas, Sierra Mountain range and 840 miles of ocean , lots of BLM and plenty in between all of that.

And everyone knows its a significant fine to park in a disabled parking spot, drive in the commute lane with only one in the car or drive without insurance, but they do it anyway and then complain about the fine. When they don't pay the fine, it goes up - well duh! Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine - or better yet, just move the hell on out to some cockroach, mosquito laden state with humidity measured in how much sweat is rolling down your face. And if you don't want to come see this state, that is fine with us - there are plenty who do.
Yes this is true but you live in the northern part of the state. I really think the northern part of the state is beautiful and less polluted from all things if you know what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
There's an easy solution...don't be stupid and get a ticket, and if you do, pay it or contest it within the time window. I've lived in CA the entire time I've had a license, and the last moving violation i received was in 1982, so it's possible to exist without having that issue. That being said, I can't wait to get out of this state, but only because it truly is the land of fruits, nuts, and outstretched palms (on every street corner) and is run by a bunch of inept, corrupt, and flat out stupid politicians.
Me too, I can not wait for the day my wife and I sell our home for big bucks to the Chinese and get out of here and have a more peaceful existence. I have been here for 52 years and I do not like what is happening to this once beautiful area.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #26
FR3

I had the misfortune of driving south on I-5 through California in March and later north on 101. Worst road conditions I have encountered in the western US. I thought my RV was going to disintegrate. The 55 MPH speed limit for trucks and vehicles towing is a joke as well. I was the only one anywhere near the limit and was being passed by cars doing 80 MPH, semis and even police cars.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
California is just a great big state with all kinds of fun stuff to do. Nothing to see there folks.
I kind of like the bashing as maybe, just maybe someone will cancel and it will be easier to get into a nice rv park next winter.

Maybe around mission bay.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #28

I have not had a ticket in California for so long that I have no idea about the added fees and charges. But if the Governor of the State makes such a negative comment it must be a major problem.

My family has lived in CA for 100 years. It is a place of great geographic drama and beauty. However, that is balanced by the fact that it is jam packed with 37 million people. And for the driver of an RV some places have roads that almost tear your suspension apart. Going south on the 57 and on to I 10 east last summer at modest to slow speed I thought I was going to damage my suspension. It was a minor problem but the cover for the oil reservoir on my front right steer tire came off and leaked all over the place. 30 years ago Los Angeles freeways were the best in the USA. Those days are long past.

Road rage in congested areas is a significant problem now in CA. It never was in the 1970's. But when you go from 17 to 37 million rage builds up and is now common on the CA highways in built up areas. In addition, in the 1970's CA population was largely made up of midwesterners who moved to the sunshine State or fled the dust bowl. Now many of the laid back Californians have fled to places that resemble CA in the 1970's like Oregon, Idaho, and Utah. And a mash up of people from all over the World has flooded in to take their place. Many illegally. Many of those new folks come from places where it is normal to drive "lawlessly".

California is almost a 1,000 miles north to south. So it takes a lot of description to get it all in. My suggestion to RVers is to avoid the metro areas of Los Angeles and San Francisco. If you do that you will avoid most of the aggressive drivers.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california