Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hate the tax burden and the politics here BUT, I have only been in 41 of the great States so fart and I have yet to find one I would prefer to live in over California. No bugs, no humidity, no tornadoes, no hurricanes and no weather extremes. Just my opinion, yours may vary.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
California is far and away the best State in the Union

I moved to California back in 1982 from Michigan and never looked back. I absolutely love California and everything about it. In my experience they're two type of people in the U.S. Those that live in California and those that don't but wish they did. Most people who bash my beautiful State are jealous and truly know very little about it. They are jealous of the outstanding, year round tropical climate we have here and the fact that you can experience the most beautiful beaches on the Pacific ocean in the morning and be skiing on the mountain slopes in the afternoon. Yea, it's expensive here but so are a lot of other highly desirable places in the world.

But if you don't like our beautiful State please do us all a favor and stay away. We don't want you or yours here. Moreover, if you do come here and are stupid enough to get a ticket pay the fine or do the time--in any event, stop your whining.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
We lived in CA from 1965 to 2004 and found that the weather was great, job opportunities were excellent, people at a neighborhood level were friendly, taxes were high to match income and did I mention the weather. When it became time to retire we decided CA was just not a good option on a fixed income so we moved to New Mexico. Here the weather is OK, cost of living is much lower, the people are great because we live in small communities, the biggest city in the state is Albuquerque and the population is only 750K. In general I say "California was very very good to me" but Albuquerque is a great place to retire with money earned in California. We paid our share of taxes but they didn't take it all!
Dick
Old 06-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I hate the tax burden and the politics here BUT, I have only been in 41 of the great States so fart and I have yet to find one I would prefer to live in over California. No bugs, no humidity, no tornadoes, no hurricanes and no weather extremes. Just my opinion, yours may vary.

No bugs? No humidity. I found both.
Where there ain't bugs or humidity, it may rumble or burn or mudslide. Pure paradise.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #47

We didn't know you were here, and didn't know you left. Another non-event..........As the world turns.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Stay in Delaware
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Easily solved by obeying traffic laws. Works in all states!
I agree... Sometimes things happen, but then you still take care of them as the law requires.
I haven't been to California since 1970's, but hopefully I will make it back this year. (I'll bring my own water )
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only reason I ever go back to California is to live there! I go there to purchase more investment apartments, and to collect rent from my great tenants, (which completely fund my RVing habit, will send my kids to any college they desire, and also pay for my beach house). I go there to raise my kids and send them to absolutely excellent public schools. I keep returning to California because I still work there in the aerospace industry as an executive and that work isn't available everywhere. I like California because the weather is fantastic, and I can visit the beaches in the summer, (I live on the beach), and the Alpine mountains in the winter, and the beautiful deserts in Spring. And, California is home to great chefs and cuisine, with cheap domestic wines to wash it down.

Yeah, the smog sucks, so I live at the beach. Yeah, the traffic sucks, so I commute in a Prius and listen to books on Audible. Yeah, the taxes suck, but my tenants pay them for me.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of the fines are outrageous and a few of them are posted for all to see: red light violation $381, HOV lane violation $391, etc. Even with the fines posted numerous people continue to violate the law and then complain about the high fines.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #52

Why I Don't RV Or Even Drive in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
The only reason I ever go back to California is to live there! I go there to purchase more investment apartments, and to collect rent from my great tenants, (which completely fund my RVing habit, will send my kids to any college they desire, and also pay for my beach house). I go there to raise my kids and send them to absolutely excellent public schools. I keep returning to California because I still work there in the aerospace industry as an executive and that work isn't available everywhere. I like California because the weather is fantastic, and I can visit the beaches in the summer, (I live on the beach), and the Alpine mountains in the winter, and the beautiful deserts in Spring. And, California is home to great chefs and cuisine, with cheap domestic wines to wash it down.

Yeah, the smog sucks, so I live at the beach. Yeah, the traffic sucks, so I commute in a Prius and listen to books on Audible. Yeah, the taxes suck, but my tenants pay them for me.

How very humble.
Glad it works for some. We aren't used to smog and traffic, but know ways and byways to avoid them. But then, we are at another time, where there is lots of time, and the Journey is Our Destination. YMMV.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
If you don't like California......don't go there. If you live there and don't like it....move.

Simple.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Thanks So we can agree that CA does not have the HIGHEST tax burden in the nation as was proclaimed earlier.
And, please notice the difference between #25 (Colorado, which is the "median") is only 8 days.

Safe travels
Eighty days of work just to hit the median - wow, impressive. Guess I just don't understand the highest income tax rates in the country along with the highest sales and fuel taxes and the outrageous vehicle license/registration fees.

Has Fantasyland expanded to cover the entire state?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yes, I know the high fuel prices, the unbelievable traffic congestion, the lack of common courtesy of CA drivers, and a stack of other reasons, but this one takes the cake......

I didn't before, but now I'm doubly sure I won't.

As you said, the roads are congested enough...so you won't be missed

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Eighty days of work just to hit the median - wow, impressive. Guess I just don't understand the highest income tax rates in the country along with the highest sales and fuel taxes and the outrageous vehicle license/registration fees.

Has Fantasyland expanded to cover the entire state?
I would word it: "Only eight days of work to hit the median - wow! That's how thin is the difference between 47th and 25th."
Demonstrates the use of the term "average"

Fantasyland covering the entire state...? It is beautiful, but don't like brag that much

Would love to understand why the "Traveler of California" (and other locals here) are so down on the old homeland(?). Don't drink the koolaide of unsupported belief that the other 49 are so much better.
Except for amazing places like Alaska or the almost Tax Free Nevada most states are pretty much equal...knowledge is power.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california