Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #15

We use to live in California;It's a good place to be from( far from ).

2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
We use to live in California;It's a good place to be from( far from ).
Nothing better that sunny San Diego, but feel free to enjoy the Polar Vortex.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
California is TERRIBLE!!! Everyone should STAY AWAY!

And ya' know it's only a matter of time before the whole state breaks off from all the earthquakes and sinks into the Pacific.

But, everyone is welcome to visit...maybe to get warm(?)
Come enjoy the ocean and beaches, the mountains and deserts, the wilderness and big cities, the Delta, the Redwoods, and even the massive central valley that feeds much of the US...just, please take someone with you when you go home

Finally, it doesn't matter if you are in the Southwest or not - only you can prevent forest fires.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
California is TERRIBLE!!! Everyone should STAY AWAY!
I agree stay away, try New York or New Jersey.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #19

To each his own. Winter around here sucks but, we don't have 1/1000 of the crime to deal with that my sister that live in LA has. I sent her daughter books once for Christmas and someone stole the books of off there front door step before they got home from work/ school. Plus, she keeps getting rear ended because she grew up in the Midwest and she stops at red lights and stop signs. She has tried to break that habit but, if she slips up she get hit again.

She is a school teacher and she was telling me a story once that there was a man who walked down the street on the sidewalk across from the school. That alone was enough that the school went into "Lock Down" and they slammed the gates shut. (Not to mention the fact that the school has a chain link fence around it and gates to slam shut.) Then the parents that had kids in the school heard about this and ran to the school to try and get there own kids out but, the school wouldn't let them and sent the guards outside to keep the parents back. I guess this sort of thing happens fairly frequently.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
I was born and raised in CA, but when they taxed my business out of the state I moved to FL. Now I have the best of both worlds, great weather and NO state income tax. I won't even talk about the traffic
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #21

I will have to agree in the at one time a long time ago, California was one of those places that was really nice. Luckily I left there over 45 years ago, before it started going down hill fast. I will take the weather, people and politics here(Alaska) any day over what California has become. I still have family that reside in California and do visit them but other wise, it has gotten to the point that I will avoid it if possible. It seems that a lot of people in California forgot what 'freedom' is about and not creating too many laws/taxes that are meaningless.
To those that enjoy California, bless you!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
To each his own. Winter around here sucks but, we don't have 1/1000 of the crime to deal with that my sister that live in LA has. I sent her daughter books once for Christmas and someone stole the books of off there front door step before they got home from work/ school. Plus, she keeps getting rear ended because she grew up in the Midwest and she stops at red lights and stop signs. She has tried to break that habit but, if she slips up she get hit again.

She is a school teacher and she was telling me a story once that there was a man who walked down the street on the sidewalk across from the school. That alone was enough that the school went into "Lock Down" and they slammed the gates shut. (Not to mention the fact that the school has a chain link fence around it and gates to slam shut.) Then the parents that had kids in the school heard about this and ran to the school to try and get there own kids out but, the school wouldn't let them and sent the guards outside to keep the parents back. I guess this sort of thing happens fairly frequently.
You are judging California based on LA, so Colorado has bad school systems based on the Columbine shooting. Tennessee has a higher crime rate than California.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #23

I live in Big Bear Lake directly east of LA. Big Bear is a mountain resort community made famous by Dorner, Earthquakes and Forest Fires. Our air is about as clean as you can get and we get over 300 days of sunlight each year. We have 4 seasons. We can get a lot of snow and have two wonderful ski resorts. We have a large lake with about 1 million trout. 20 million people live within a two hour drive supporting our economy. San Bernardino National Forest gets more visitors each year than Yellowstone and Yosemite combined.

We are a 2 hour drive from LA, San Diego and the beaches. We are a three hour drive From Vegas and 5 to Napa Valley. We are within a days drive to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Zion, Brice, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Monuments, Sequoia, Tahoe, Mammoth, Mono Lake and even Quartzite. Our home is at 7,000'. People are fishing today and skiing. It will get up to about 60. We have no need for air conditioning. About 700,000 people visit our two ski resorts each year.

We have 400 miles of dirt forest roads and some of the best 4 wheeling in the world, John Bull, Holcomb Creek, Gold Mountain, Pontiac Sluice and many more black diamond trails. The Mojave Desert is 18 miles away.

Yes we have Taxes but most of us feel it is worth it. Some move but 38 million stay. Our property taxes are reasonable not like Wisconsin's and are protected by Prop 13. Our economy is larger than most countries.

Our family likes where we live and so far none of the daughters or granddaughters are interested in leaving. To top it off we live in a real log home.

I think most of us live in an area that fits our needs. Each of us has different needs. Big Bear Lake is a hidden gem and we all love it. Come visit our state! It is huge. We are thinking of buying Oregon and Washington State. If they won't sell we might invade them. Love to tell Oregonians that.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Bloom where you are planted."

Most people thrive and enjoy their familiar surroundings. Hey, we even like living in Houston.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
You are judging California based on LA, so Colorado has bad school systems based on the Columbine shooting. Tennessee has a higher crime rate than California.
One does not have to compare LA to the rest of California. Just look at the differences in the 'life style' from the southern part to the northern part! Yes there are some really nice places in California, but there are lots of other reasons that one would not want to live there. The times that I have gone back to my 'old stomping' grounds, it has been disheartening. Places that I could go freely anytime that I wanted to are now controlled to the point that one needs to plan months/years ahead to go there. Where we used to be able to camp along the beaches on the coast, are now restricted to 'day use' only. I could go on and on but you get the idea.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I live in Big Bear Lake directly east of LA. Big Bear is a mountain resort community made famous by Dorner, Earthquakes and Forest Fires. Our air is about as clean as you can get and we get over 300 days of sunlight each year. We have 4 seasons. We can get a lot of snow and have two wonderful ski resorts. We have a large lake with about 1 million trout. 20 million people live within a two hour drive supporting our economy. San Bernardino National Forest gets more visitors each year than Yellowstone and Yosemite combined.

We are a 2 hour drive from LA, San Diego and the beaches. We are a three hour drive From Vegas and 5 to Napa Valley. We are within a days drive to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Zion, Brice, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Monuments, Sequoia, Tahoe, Mammoth, Mono Lake and even Quartzite. Our home is at 7,000'. People are fishing today and skiing. It will get up to about 60. We have no need for air conditioning. About 700,000 people visit our two ski resorts each year.

We have 400 miles of dirt forest roads and some of the best 4 wheeling in the world, John Bull, Holcomb Creek, Gold Mountain, Pontiac Sluice and many more black diamond trails. The Mojave Desert is 18 miles away.

Yes we have Taxes but most of us feel it is worth it. Some move but 38 million stay. Our property taxes are reasonable not like Wisconsin's and are protected by Prop 13. Our economy is larger than most countries.

Our family likes where we live and so far none of the daughters or granddaughters are interested in leaving. To top it off we live in a real log home.

I think most of us live in an area that fits our needs. Each of us has different needs. Big Bear Lake is a hidden gem and we all love it. Come visit our state! It is huge. We are thinking of buying Oregon and Washington State. If they won't sell we might invade them. Love to tell Oregonians that.
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
One does not have to compare LA to the rest of California. Just look at the differences in the 'life style' from the southern part to the northern part! Yes there are some really nice places in California, but there are lots of other reasons that one would not want to live there. The times that I have gone back to my 'old stomping' grounds, it has been disheartening. Places that I could go freely anytime that I wanted to are now controlled to the point that one needs to plan months/years ahead to go there. Where we used to be able to camp along the beaches on the coast, are now restricted to 'day use' only. I could go on and on but you get the idea.
Sad, but that happens to many places that are crowded and popular. How would it be if it wasn't restricted? Probably damaged and poluted.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #28

California has really nice State Parks many with campgrounds. Twice a year we go to Doheny or Bolsa Chica State Beach Campgrounds. I've already reserved stays in Rancharia (Huntington Lake), Twin Lakes and June Lake all USFS campgrounds in the High Sierras. I am sure almost everyone has used Reserve America to make their camping reservations. If not visit their internet site.

Tags
california